Friend was banned for making a joke

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: totalpwnage.6534

totalpwnage.6534

So my friend was banned ‘selling gold’ for linking a supposed gold selling website on mapchat. He jokingly said in mapchat “www.deltakeyourgold.com”, his name is del and this website does not even exist. You can type it in and check for yourself. How can he be banned for something that doesn’t exist? I think this is over-policing by Anet and obviously no research was done before banning.

Happylittlevegemite of Darkhaven
Quick Load [LOAD]

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

He needs to contact support and argue his case with them. Those are the only ones who can do anything, one way or another. No one on the forum can.

Top of page-support, then top of page-submit a request.

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

Posted by: Lanceor.2763

Lanceor.2763

Wow this is really near the borderline.

Jade Quarry

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

No. How would another player know it was a joke? All they saw was a website name in map chat that looks like so many other gold selling sites. If the OP’s friend played it up any then the chat logs would look like just another gold seller.

It’s not quite shouting fire in a crowded movie theater but for an MMO where gold sellers end up causing quite the mischief (through account hacking, identity theft, CC fraud), GMs shooting first is an understandable policy.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: XxTAFxX.6741

XxTAFxX.6741

Not really.
So many gold sellers in this game,anet started to put there foot down.
He announced he was selling gold,many many ppl reported it.
( because we are sick of these gold sellers tbh)

Anet got the report and banned him.
So it was his stupidity to do something that we all know anet will ban in an instance.
Hence why we don’t get so many gold sellers spam nowadays.

Posted by: Rabbi Rick.3194

Rabbi Rick.3194

This exact type of thing happened to me over the Halloween weekend back in GW 1 days. Same type of joke, banned within three minutes. It took the entire weekend to sort it out, but a message to support to examine the context, look at the joke url, and reverse the decision was handled as rapidly as one could expect (I did have to get it escalated to a senior support supervisor.)

While I was upset and disappointed that this happened, I did understand the reasoning for taking such quick action against what might be a potentially destructive force in MMO gaming and computer security. I would rather they ban and correct immediately than not ban, wait, and have some gold selling firm get the better of fellow players.

Have your friend submit a support ticket, I’m sure things will be resolved quickly.

(BTW, I never have made such a joke again.)

Just my two coppers worth,

Rabbi Rick
Proud member of the Ring of 1000

Posted by: Cryptor.9560

Cryptor.9560

To put it politely that is a pretty silly thing to joke about. They were right to ban him imho.

Guild=Sinister Savant [SinS] -|- Server=Yaks Bend -|- Account=Cryptor.9560

Posted by: pessimist.7294

pessimist.7294

A pretty stupid joke to be honest. Compared to the real life it would be like you scream “Alah Ahkbar!!!” in the middle of a crowded american mall during christmas time.

totalpwnage.6534

Guys I think I need to clarify. He wasn’t joking about gold selling, he is a commander and ran out of money for siege so we said in mapchat “www.deltakeyourgold.com” even that address has nothing to do with selling gold. Again incase you misread: www.del TAKE yourgold.com

Quick Load [LOAD]

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Considering they rarely, rarely ban within minutes of a report, perhaps he was banned for something other than the ‘joke’. I am sure he will be properly taken care of in his dealings with CS.

totalpwnage.6534

No the reason given was “Selling gold”, and since there is 0 proof of him selling gold there should be no reason why he is banned.

Quick Load [LOAD]

Posted by: bluestocking.6148

bluestocking.6148

So, what are you trying to do with this thread? Has he even filed a ticket?

Frankly, unless you sit over your friends shoulder 24/7, you have no idea if they have proof or not. And in the event they made a mistake, his support ticket will be what fixes it, not your angry thread.

I am destruction itself. I also bake cookies.