Full computer crash using Mac client

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Falseprophet.1502

Falseprophet.1502

I have not been able to find anything related to this issue, forgive me if I have overlooked.

I have been having a constant issue within the past three months where my client crashes the entire computer. I have thought it was a ram issue, reseated the memory, PRAM reset, replaced the memory, and the issue still persists. The computer freezes for about a second or two, then goes completely black and reboots. There is not an error message either. It usually happens twice a day when loading or tabbed out looking at websites.

I know a new Mac client is on the horizon, but it makes it very hard to play the game. I also play the game on the lowest settings across the board to try to eliminate the amount of crashes.

Specs below:
3.5 GHZ Intel Core i7
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
GeForce GTX 780M 4GB
Computer is up to date on all macOS updates.

If anyone has any recommendations or would like me to perform some sort of additional diagnostic, please let me know! I’m completely out of ideas.

(edited by Falseprophet.1502)

Posted by: Sinues.9281

Sinues.9281

I have the exact same issue for months allready. About the similar frequency. I do play other games as well, but it only seems to happen with GW2 for me.

Posted by: Falseprophet.1502

Falseprophet.1502

I’m glad to see that I am not the only one having this issue. Hopefully we can get some suggestions on how to remedy it or continue to keep our fingers crossed, hoping it will be fixed with the new macOS client.

Posted by: Supercluster.7159

Supercluster.7159

I saw this starting to happen about 4-6 months ago. Come on native OSX client, we need you!!

Posted by: loseridoit.2756

loseridoit.2756

OP, Leila mentions that wine 64 is available for Mac OS X. It might be recommended because codeweaver win runtime wrapper is more stable than the kittenty cinder client.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/support/MAC-64bit-via-Wine-mouse-issue

I think here is the download link

https://repos.wine-staging.com/wine/macosx/pool/

I guess download osx64

Posted by: AN Other.1960

AN Other.1960

I’ve found that I experience consistent crashes whenever I Cmd-Tab out of the Mac GW2 client and then quit the other application. The screen goes black as it tries to switch back to GW2, then I get the “You need to restart your computer” screen and the Mac reboots.

Posted by: DocBerto.5790

DocBerto.5790

Come on native OSX client, we need you!!

+1

Posted by: SlippyCheeze.5483

SlippyCheeze.5483

The new client is on it’s way. Someone data-mined it on the CDN recently, though it’s definitely NOT yet released. My guess would be that this means it’s closing in on a “friends and family” style alpha soon, and we are probably between three and nine months to release.

Which, coincidentally, sounds similar to the timeframe for the next expansion, so I wouldn’t die of shock if they tried to get it out just before the release of that — enough time to iron out the worst crashers, just prior to the release.

That’s all speculation, though. All we actually know is that it’s being actively worked on.