GW2 Lag spikes make it impossible to play

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Snr Squishy.3502

Snr Squishy.3502

So im getting major lag spikes in guild wars 2, and ONLY guild wars 2. BF3, COD4, CS:GO, HoN and many other games are 100% fine so it cant be a problem with my connection in general.

What happens is i will be fighting a mob and then for about 1-2 seconds i get no registration to my hits on the target and all units on my screen freeze (unless the mob has already started a casting animation, in which case the animation finishes). After the lag has stopped all the damage the mob does to me in that 1-2 seconds of lag is done to me in about 0.2 seconds and all movement is like it is in 2x speed for a small bit. If i cast anything while the lag is there then nothing counts. So if im lagging and i cast my heal i don’t gain health, or if i cast my pets crit it does not count either. This is a really big problem because this lag will come ever 15-30 seconds, and it makes it impossible to play because one second i will have full health then once the lag is gone im in last stand throwing rocks at mobs.

Has anyone else been having this problem? Its only started happening since the Halloween updates, I didn’t have this problem when i was playing before the start of the Halloween updates.

If this is a very uncommon issue then please let me know and i will record some in game video of the lag and upload it to youtube.

Thanks.

Posted by: MasterElements.5023

MasterElements.5023

I am having the same issue.

Posted by: MrSilver.5269

MrSilver.5269

Same here. Everyone in my guild experiencing lag spikes, and rendering issues in wvw.

Most of us just logged off, because it is pretty unplayable atm.

But I’m trying, Ringo. I’m trying real hard to be the shepherd.

Posted by: Tierya.2904

Tierya.2904

Hi there.. I am getting SEVERE lag spikes in WVW upwards of about 20 seconds. Similar to what it was during todays event.

My wife’s computer is fine and we are on the same connection.. what could be the issue?

This is completely unplayable and I have to leave WvW due to the huge amount of spikes – players are popping up and disappearing and not moving for many seconds at a time.

Commander Saiyrah – PiNK – Tarnished Coast

Posted by: loseridoit.2756

loseridoit.2756

Everyone here is experiencing a cpu bottleneck and a engine bug
Tracking people is a O(n^2) problem
Here read this post . Although the developer is addressing the invisible player bug it also reveals problems with WvW and resource management.
http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/11mz4k/i_am_a_programmer_for_guild_wars_2_amaa/c6nv7o2

Snr Squishy.3502

Here read this post . Although the developer is addressing the invisible player bug it also reveals problems with WvW and resource management.
http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/11mz4k/i_am_a_programmer_for_guild_wars_2_amaa/c6nv7o2

Read that redit post and i dont think thats what my problem is. That post is talking about other PLAYERS not being rendered on other peoples screens. My problem is lag spikes when im fighting NPC mobs, this is OUTSIDE WvW.

(Also i NEVER play WvW so this is problem is all 100% outside WvW)

(edited by Snr Squishy.3502)

Posted by: Ben K.6238

Ben K.6238

Similarly, I’ve only had problem since the Halloween updates. Lag o’clock usually started around 10pm PST, but it’s been going all day today. Pings averaging 3 seconds, constant rubber-banding and bursting, skills not working, etc. Happens in every part of the game.

Snr Squishy.3502

This lag is seriously getting really annoying. I havnt been able to play GW2 all week!

Posted by: Cattish.2610

Cattish.2610

i have a huge problem with these spikes\freezes (especially as i use shadowstep-like abilities, it bounds me to the target location so i cant move. Sometimes it teleports me back then to the target location again. And u dont see ur opponents moves mostly. Their models are just jumping around.)

Its absolutely impossible to play in sPvP (and the ammount of the lag differs depended on the map u play. The hardest lags are on the 1t n 3d maps in free tours. The 2nd map and the mist is laggy n spiky but u can control ur char at least…)

and that has started about a week ago.

I tried to ping\tracert IPs the game uses (got em via Task manager -> Performance -> Resource Monitor -> Network(in the tabs) -> TCP Conncetions -> Gw2.exe)

it shows no packages loss or ping above 60ms for 64.25.47.41
and 100% no answers from 206.127.159.77, 206.127.159.115 what is very weird since the game uses these IPs.

PPS i have no lag or connection issues in other games at the same time

(edited by Cattish.2610)

Posted by: zugly.9035

zugly.9035

Well it’s really starting to annoy me.
Getting more and more lag spikes ! Making this game impossible to play (10seconds waiting between one skill and another).
This lag started for me this week-end … dunno if it is linked to that Free trial week-end or a certain patch … All I know is PLEASE Fix it !
If your servers are not powerful enough to make trial … just don’t it !

thanks !

Posted by: Eledil.9087

Eledil.9087

I have the same, need to fix it ASAP

Posted by: Azjenco.9425

Azjenco.9425

It all started last night. I think the karka’s best weapon against us isn’t impenetrable armor, it’s lag!

But seriously though, something went wrong the moment the Lost Shore switch was flipped, and this is getting bad.

Posted by: Amarinth.8534

Amarinth.8534

This is what happens when you combine the launch of a new content update, a series of one-time only events AND a free trial period.

-slow clap-

Well done, Arenanet. Well done.

Posted by: Azjenco.9425

Azjenco.9425

This is what happens when you combine the launch of a new content update, a series of one-time only events AND a free trial period.

slow clap

Yeah, worst thing is, this isn’t going to look good to people giving the game a go for the first time. I think ANet shot themselves in the foot with this one, which is sad, because the game is really good.

Posted by: Amarinth.8534

Amarinth.8534

slow clap

Yeah, worst thing is, this isn’t going to look good to people giving the game a go for the first time. I think ANet shot themselves in the foot with this one, which is sad, because the game is really good.

I think they’ve gotten a bit too overconfident tbh. They probably figured their server tech could handle the high peak concurrency and getting as many people into the game as possible to make it feel full and lively would be the best approach to draw in loads of new buyers (rather than showing off the game to free trialists at a quieter time).

But as you said, they ended up shooting themselves in the foot, because clearly their servers are getting severely overloaded as a result of too many players and too many requests (both with logging in, as well as with the combat/skill-handing), which is leading to lag issues that aren’t just pissing off their existing customers, but also giving one of the worst possible impressions to prospective customers who might now be forever put off from buying the game (and I wouldn’t blame them).

Posted by: Yamiino.1827

Yamiino.1827

Yep, thought it was me, but now that I see this it’s GW2 end. Lol? This ain’t a priv. server to have lag issues seriously…

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2314495911.png

Not my network

Snr Squishy.3502

My lag has been happening for a couple of weeks now, just a little while before the helloween updates came out. So i dont think its a recent update that has done it for me.

Posted by: Raven.9561

Raven.9561

I see this problem all the time in a many online games, with the culprit usually the isp throttling traffic to and from the game servers.

Simple way to check is to download a tunnelling client, I recommend pingzapper atm they I have a 1 hour trial. If you have no problems with latency while this is running in game ( and 9/10 this will be so) then its definitely your isp shaping your gaming traffic.

Although they may say they dont throttle they do.

Anyways try this and hope it solves your problem.

Posted by: LastDay.3524

LastDay.3524

Having the same problem.
Sometimes my game can work a day and I go “Yay!”, thinking I fixed it by changing something about my setup.

In the end it always comes back… Had it ever since after Halloween or so.

Benight[Edge]

Posted by: Brutalicus.8365

Brutalicus.8365

I’ve got the same issue with lag spikes. Been happening since Nov 14th-15th I believe.

I’ve just given up on playing Guild Wars 2 for now… Hopefully they fix it soon before I lose interest entirely from not playing for so long.

Posted by: OGDeadHead.8326

OGDeadHead.8326

I see this problem all the time in a many online games, with the culprit usually the isp throttling traffic to and from the game servers.

Simple way to check is to download a tunnelling client, I recommend pingzapper atm they I have a 1 hour trial. If you have no problems with latency while this is running in game ( and 9/10 this will be so) then its definitely your isp shaping your gaming traffic.

Although they may say they dont throttle they do.

Anyways try this and hope it solves your problem.

Not very likely, happening to too many people fram all over the world, with different ISPs, and also started to happen at aprox. the same time for all of us.

Also, the game could run just fine sometimes, if this was a ISP throttling issue, we’d see it all the time, so no, that’s not what’s happening.

Win10 pro | Xeon 5650 @ 4 GHz | R9 280x toxic | 24 Gig Ram | Process Lasso user

Posted by: Pojunarf.6780

Pojunarf.6780

Same issue here. Everything was fine before.
About 3 weeks ago, PvP became unplayable for me. During Halloween events I started experiencing some lagg in WvW. And about a week ago the first freezes happened “outside”. Lagg in dungeons appeared on sunday in the fractals and on monday (8-10pm CET) the swamp one was impossible for our group because of 3 players stuck in freezes half of the time. Though in the end (10 to 11pm CET) it worked fine.
I can’t even level up characters now because some mobs will reset due to excess lagg and loss of synchronisation with the server.

We’ve been through it with my guild and can’t find any reason why someone is freezing most of the time while the person sitting next to them on the same network is having no issue at all. It seems to vary depending on the time of day (player affluence maybe?) but it’s now unbearable between 6 and 10pm CET for me.

Posted by: scillerraika.4259

scillerraika.4259

Im not going to complain about the lag since everyone has pretty much done it already, but i also have lag spikes that people are explaining about. It happened after the lost shore patch. Would like a fix asap.

Posted by: Yamiino.1827

Yamiino.1827

God, I just didn’t record it now in WvW because I forgot but I was getting like a 4 second delay making my self VERY useless… There was once that I was alive, no one was around then I suddenly died with no people around me, 4-5 seconds later a bunch of red people were over me out of nowhere (no they didn’t cloack nor teleport, they were there I just couldn’t see them because of the lag…)

My speed: http://www.speedtest.net/result/2320902599.png

How it looks ingame: http://youtu.be/qC8QLET8FYk

I will record another one in WvW in few, so you can see the issue in action…

(edited by Yamiino.1827)

Posted by: OGDeadHead.8326

OGDeadHead.8326

God, I just didn’t record it now in WvW because I forgot but I was getting like a 4 second delay making my self VERY useless… There was once that I was alive, no one was around then I suddenly died with no people around me, 4-5 seconds later a bunch of red people were over me out of nowhere (no they didn’t cloack nor teleport, they were there I just couldn’t see them because of the lag…)

I’ve had up to 20-30 seconds of delay. Lacking response from ANet on the lag issues points to peformance issues on their part.

Win10 pro | Xeon 5650 @ 4 GHz | R9 280x toxic | 24 Gig Ram | Process Lasso user

Posted by: AJP.8610

AJP.8610

Same issue here, guys. Got an email from support asking me to run MSCONFIG and Game Advisor. Sent the reports off but yet to hear anything. Was fine two weeks ago so I’m pointing at the event they ran over the weekend.

[VcY] Velocity ~ Far Shiverpeaks
Flemmox ~ Elementalist
Gormlaith Greycloak ~ Guardian

Posted by: ecad.9085

ecad.9085

Same Issue here… has not had problems with lag in GW2 before.

Posted by: Tanqueray.4837

Tanqueray.4837

Tracing route to 64.25.47.41 over a maximum of 30 hops

1 1 ms <1 ms <1 ms myrouter.home
2 54 ms 53 ms 53 ms 02dbb2fe.bb.sky.com
3 * * * Request timed out.
4 66 ms 64 ms 63 ms 02780808.bb.sky.com [2.120.8.8]
5 63 ms 59 ms 59 ms te0-8-0-2.er11.enslo.ov.easynet.net [89.200.131.135]
6 58 ms 58 ms 77 ms ae1.lon80.ip4.tinet.net [77.67.65.173]
7 72 ms 71 ms 72 ms xe-7-0-0.fra60.ip4.tinet.net [89.149.181.234]
8 74 ms 74 ms 73 ms cdnetworks-gw.ip4.tinet.net [77.67.71.122]
9 72 ms 72 ms 72 ms 206-127-157-94.plaync.com [206.127.157.94]
10 88 ms 76 ms 79 ms 206-127-157-102.plaync.com [206.127.157.102]
11 73 ms 73 ms 71 ms 64.25.47.41

Trace complete.

Step 10 looks a bit flaky.

Posted by: Shawker.9587

Shawker.9587

yesterday everything was fine, but today i getting lag spikes or many time lost the game connection and it go to a black screen and stay there forever, its happenning every 10-15 minutes making play the game impossibile.

Server: Blackgate
Profession: Dolyak Ass Kicker

Posted by: loseridoit.2756

loseridoit.2756

Read that redit post and i dont think thats what my problem is. That post is talking about other PLAYERS not being rendered on other peoples screens. My problem is lag spikes when im fighting NPC mobs, this is OUTSIDE WvW.

(Also i NEVER play WvW so this is problem is all 100% outside WvW)

Well you are experiencing a cpu bottleneck. NPC still has to be tracked on your client and you are seemly reach the limits of what your client can handle.

I usually never face this problem unless I play the char invasion fractual in which there is too much going on

btw, ANET cool fractual, but seriously every enemy is a vet. Not cool. I rather have lots of barrages so I can rally cycle for fun
Please tell us your hardware

(edited by loseridoit.2756)

Posted by: Dirame.8521

Dirame.8521

I’ve also been experiencing continuous rubber banding and lag spikes all over the place. When I think my character is out of arms way, I find out to my dismay that the game thinks I’m still standing in the fire. It’s really saddening and frustrating and I hope you guys can patch this soon.

I make guides to builds you may not have heard of;
http://www.youtube.com/user/ceimash
http://www.twitch.tv/ceimash

Posted by: Nalora.7964

Nalora.7964

I have had so many deaths in game because the server side and client side are not communicating. Over 2 gold spent on armor repairs from death by lag. I do not dare leave a city with a character, unless I want to go broke on armor repairs.

DEMAND Bunny Slippers and a bathrobe!