GW2 after patch Ruins my nvidia drivers

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: serena smith.2734

serena smith.2734

After the last 2 patches every time i play my nvidia drivers start failing, the game makes my PC reboot, I updated my drivers to the lastest version and the problem keeps going, I was doing a dungeon and someone else was having problems with their drivers He has a GTX 570 ti, I have a GTX 560 SC. I even formatted my computer and reinstalled everything, tried other games and they run fine but when i play GW2 they randomly fail. My computer is new so I dont think thats the problem.

Here are the specs:

Manufacturer: OEM
Processor: Intel Core i7-3770 3.4 GHz
Memory: 16 GB RAM Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz
Hard Drive: 2000 GB Total
Video Card: EVGA GTX 560 SC
Monitor: LG E2360V-PN Glossy Black 23
Sound Card: NVIDIA High Definition Audio output
Operation System:Windows 7 Ultimate Service Pack 1
Motherboard: ASUS P8H77-V
Computer Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer

The problem:
When playing the game graphics start failing, random squares appear (like in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4aaKDDfnrs Note: it’s better if you mute it), then the screen turns black even though the in-game sound keeps playing after a few seconds the game minimizes and on the windows desktop in the bottom right side a message appears saying :

“Nvidia Windows Kernel mode driver version 30×.XX has stopped working and has recovered

[IMG]http://i48.tinypic.com/f46ef.png[/IMG]

Possible ways to Solve this: ~I will update this in a bit when I finish my list of things to try~OR with posts in here saying how it might fix it~

Attachments:

When the wind is so strong that you almost can hear a whisper calling your name..
This is your calling, to The battle of your life.

(edited by serena smith.2734)

Posted by: evillee.3097

evillee.3097

seems similar to my issue. randomly shuts down my whole pc goes to blue screen and restarts. i cant play the game

Posted by: Ackinbal.2617

Ackinbal.2617

Same here. What’s worse, I the card is blocked by Windows code 43, I used to be able to fix it to get it back, but can’t any more, I wonder if the card itself is now fried.

Posted by: Zelta.6829

Zelta.6829

I have not noticed any changes after any of the Anet patches, If your system is BSODing or randomly shutting off, it’s most likely caused by internal hardware failure or broken drivers.

You can check the cause of the BSOD by looking at the actual BSOD screen, if the error originated from anything that starts with “nv”, it’s a driver fault. You can try removing the driver (including physx, 3D vision etc) and running the driver sweeper. But sometimes, drivers can completely brick out, which means you might need to do a fresh Windows installation.

Posted by: Refraction.1892

Refraction.1892

Firstly get a tool like gpu-z or msi afterburner or something and check your graphics card clock speeds. A lot of thse issues are caused by factory overclocked graphics cards which actually just cant cut the speed it’s being run at.

your core speed should be 810Mhz and your memory clock should be roughly 1001Mhz (before any multipliers). If it is any higher than this, clock it to these values and try the game again.

Posted by: Teknobug.3782

Teknobug.3782

OP didn’t specify which driver version he/she is using, if it’s 306.63 (beta), that’s probably the problem.

Yak’s Bend WvWvW’er [Mount Phoenix Imperials]
Intel i7 3770K @ 4.5GHz | 8GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 ram | Gigabyte R9 280X 3GB (14.2)
Win 8 Pro 64bit

Posted by: Plushie Bear.9327

Plushie Bear.9327

I second the original poster with my annoyance. Before the last 2 updates my GW2 was running at 70-120 fps on average, and no game problems at all.

After they did the updates my computer started crashing occasionally while playing, and my fps never exceeds 60 and will even drop below 40.

People have posted in several places about these issues and all anyone ever does is talk about hardware failure and overheating and it’s really annoying.

If it was hardware failure, your system would experience issues while doing OTHER things, or playing other games.If it was overheating, people would have been having these issues all along. Quite a few of them have only been having them since the first of the last 2 updates.

The simple fact that people don’t want to seem to accept is that something within the last few updates is causing problems for certain users, just because it isn’t happening for everybody doesn’t mean there isn’t a problem, it just means that it is not as much of a priority for a-net as we would like.

serena smith.2734

at teknobug, I have installed that lastest version of the nvidia driver, also the 304.xx and even the one that came in the CD in the box.

To be clear I do not do OC.

Mainly the problem as I was searching it’s about “Nvidia Kernel Driver has Stopped Responding but has recovered” thing, I tried everything ppl say to do, the worse of the cases says to change the gfx card but how’s that even possible if it’s new, it doesnt even have 2 months.. i bought it (a whole new computer) to play GW2 pretty much. Im in college I only get to play every 2 weekends, never had this problem before till those updates… That’s why I want help from GW2 support since I cant submit a ticket about this problem.. I wanna know if I have to stop playing this game cause it’s gonna ruin my comp with their updates

When the wind is so strong that you almost can hear a whisper calling your name..

Posted by: Lord Profile.1729

Lord Profile.1729

I’ve had the same problem. The best thing to do is just run your computer a stock clocks and make sure your bios are and safe default setting . any high volt. and clock speed with CRASH your game or send you to the gw website. hope that helps some what

Posted by: Pizzel.8470

Pizzel.8470

Plushie bear brought up very good points IMO

I have had similar issues last couple weeks. I did have an hdd go out around same time but took it out and reinstalled windows After fresh install and newest drivers it was fine until the Oct 7 patch. then random crashong ensued.

After googling my issues many people have had this just pop up over last week or 2. Random game crashes bsod. Now i find it hard to believe all these peoples systems just had catastrphic failures with hardware. There is something wrong thats a fact. part is nvidias fault too. we need a stable driver for gw2. its been out over a month already.

i had no issues until these last couple updates and updating to the 306 drivers. i tried the 306.97 and it was a joke. multiple crashes in a short time. so i have rolled back to the 304.79 drivers and haven’t crashed yet. also underclocked my card some thinking the superclock isnt stable in gw2.

To sum it up I’m tired of admins and others trying to say everyone with an issue has bad hardware. All these peoples issues are with this game and popped up around the same time.

3570K @4.2 560 TI, 212 evo, Hyper X 128gb ssd Haf 912 Biostar tz77

Posted by: Aibandit.4369

Aibandit.4369

Is anyone running 306 ok? I was just going to update my card until I saw this.

Pizzel.8470

I tried 306.23, 306.63 and 306.97. 97 was awful. 63. wasnt much better. 23 was usable but still occasional crash. Have gone back to 304.79 and no crash or bsod yet in a few hours. seems its a mixed bag. some have had no issues while others have had nightmares like me.

no issues in any other games. bf3 bkacklight, tribes all fine. my sts row 3 had some file problems but after repair was fine. For me Gw2 was fine for 3 weeks then a disaster last couple. It all started with new updates and drivers. Usually i just stick with a driver for months. Guess ill stick with that mentality.

Posted by: Squall Leonhart.2075

Squall Leonhart.2075

Code43, Hardware failure
and you dare to blame the game?

rotflmao. Guys, your systems are just unstable, unless you take the time to figure out why it is, a game patch isn’t going to fix a system configuration problem.

Lord Profile.1729

Squall most people that are having this crash are able to run prime and and other benches just fine , it is the game.

Squall Leonhart.2075

Prime is a CPU tool, The black screen is a GPU Problem

There are so many fringe consistencies that have to be taken into account before pointing fingers, and again USER MODE SOFTWARE WILL NEVER PUT A SYSTEM INTO A STATE THAT IT CANNOT RECOVER FROM, UNLESS THE SYSTEM IS ALREADY ON THE BRINK OF FAILURE.

I see this kind of ignorance on a day to day basis, And it still makes me lmao every time it happens.

So lets see, Because my system Froze once during a mission in HawX, the game was at fault? Surely, by your logic, when it was running fine in everything else, it had to be the game.

No. It was a slightly unstable ICH voltage, the ich which controls usb, sata, etc….

It wasn’t the games fault when Metro 2033 was crashing the GTX 570 (Which was found to be a flaw in stock overclocked hardware pushing the limited 5 stage vrm too hard and as a result, nvidia limited the entire GTX 570 range because of these rogue vendors!)

It is absolutely Impossible to completely rule out a system component, using illogical conclusions like “It works fine in blah, blah and blah” knowing that these games have been the targets of this same kind of illogical conclusion before, or where many other cases of 1 game working where another doesn’t having been caused by Hardware or Driver Faults

It is not possible to rule out either, until such time as someone provides affected hardware to Anet, or actually wakes up to reality and starts testing properly.

(edited by Squall Leonhart.2075)

Lord Profile.1729

again i put any other benchmarks aswell and gw2 is more cpu based if you knew that. ………. take the time to see how much usage and ram is used in gw2 you see its less then 50%

Lord Profile.1729

also we’re all here to help each other out if you just here to prove a unproven point go to another form please

Squall Leonhart.2075

You’re not helping anyone by holding steadfast to your impossible to prove conclusions that the game is absolutely at fault for your system fault.

Posted by: Alpha Dragon.4576

Alpha Dragon.4576

@Serena
Here are the things you could try:

1. Update windows 7 to Service Pack 1.
2. Disable UAC ( Turn it off or pick never notify , it’s in the Control Panel User Accounts settings)
3. When updating your videocard always do a clean installation and check “Perform Clean install”. Try to install the latest driver 306.97 seems stable to some and got a huge performance impact on laptops.
4. Monitor your GPU’s temperature I’ve seen temps shoot up to 80~90+. Either use MSI Afterburner to set your fan to about 60~70% all the time while playing.

- Dare to be Different –
Eternal Breaker[ExB] || Sanctum of Rall

Refraction.1892

You’re not helping anyone by holding steadfast to your impossible to prove conclusions that the game is absolutely at fault for your system fault.

Indeed. I could say my car got broken in to because i decided to have breakfast this morning. Completely unrelated events which just “happpened” to occur at the same time, doesn’t mean one caused the other.

Posted by: shojikareza.1402

shojikareza.1402

So… many people having this problem, new and old.. including me… this iis my brand new card of 7870, before thiis was 6870, and i’m having this problem.. yeap. is not only GPU problem, but the game it self has problem. This game isn’t optimize friendly enough on the GPU.

“Imagination is one strongest power in a successful life”

Refraction.1892

If the game was the problem, everybody would be having it. I personally haven’t lost any FPS recently, infact i think my FPS went up slightly, but again this could be a placebo change.

The issue is only affecting a few people, so it’s more likely something else running on their computer, overheating or some other factor.

Squall Leonhart.2075

570 users, should rma their cards and get a replacement if they bought it before March 2012.

the VRM is dodgy and cannot sustain the loads guildwars places on the combined GPU and IMC.

Refraction.1892

hey mine works fine and i bought it at launch :P

Squall Leonhart.2075

you got lucky, or a decent brand with quality mosfets :p

the reference design skimped on them and used parts that just barely covered stock clocks.

Pizzel.8470

I dont have a 570… I am not overheating. Oh and I rolled back to 304 driver and no crashes at all. Been fine and dandy for 2 days. Amazing how that can happen if my computer is just a broken pile.

From my experience it was nvidia and Gw2 problems going on. Obviously everyones problems can be different.

Refraction.1892

" Oh and I rolled back to 304 driver and no crashes at all. Been fine and dandy for 2 days."

Again proving it isn’t the games fault. People should be blaiming nvidia.

Squall Leonhart.2075

don’t have to overheat to be running on the fringe of stability. New drivers can drive the hardware harder, in the case of nvidia’s drivers, this has happened more then enough times in the past to keep me far away from factory overclocks that are rather excessive

Pizzel.8470

I do blame nvidia and Anet. They need to get this figured out. Us users also have to maintain. Keep an open patient mind about hardware and software.

I’m not out to prove anything. I started posting in here to see if i can help anyone. Not gonna be definitive at all. The things i did seemed to help me. If it helps one other person i am glad.

serena smith.2734

@ Alpha Dragon.4576 I’ll try that

Also I will try every possible thing to fix this, Anything related to hardware or software. This ofc will take me some time. Im not going to try it with guild wars 2, just any other games to make sure GW2 isn’t the problem, if nothing happens with other games and then i try GW2 and the problems pops up the solution will be simple by just uninstalling the game.

Squall Leonhart.2075

what a narrow prerogative.

serena smith.2734

I really can’t wait to read what the best solution for this is Mr. Leonhart, since what I plan to do with my PC isn’t very agreeable for yourself.
Please do me the honor and tell me, I’m dying to read your recommendations.

Squall Leonhart.2075

If your computer is new, has it had Service Pack 1 on it at any point?

There is a hotfix included in the service pack that resolves a source of TDR’s when graphics hardware is heavily loaded

though unfortunately i can’t even find the relevant KB article from the list of included hotfixes, can’t remember the search terms needed to find it.

(edited by Squall Leonhart.2075)

serena smith.2734

Yes Mr. Leonhart that is included on my list of things to try. There is even a video about it on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MwIVae3Yb8&feature=related

Posted by: Moriganis.9271

Moriganis.9271

GTX 570, i5 2500k

Before the last two updates I had no issues with fps drops or lags and I could play smoothly in WvW zerg vs zerg massacre.

Using the same graphics driver and after gw2 updates, I get fps drops just moving my camera around in arcs in pve and it’s unplayable in wvw. Sometimes it causes a blue screen or pc to black out after playing for a while.

Squall Leonhart.2075

GTX 570, i5 2500k

Before the last two updates I had no issues with fps drops or lags and I could play smoothly in WvW zerg vs zerg massacre.

Using the same graphics driver and after gw2 updates, I get fps drops just moving my camera around in arcs in pve and it’s unplayable in wvw. Sometimes it causes a blue screen or pc to black out after playing for a while.

your computer is unstable, find and read one of the trillion TDR cause and fixes articles online and start working through it.

I wouldn’t put it past your GTX 570 needing to be underclocked with the newer drivers though.

Squall Leonhart.2075

The cpu method shouldn’t crash your pc,

but i think i have an idea of whats going on with the weird gpu load now,
With the cpu method the game is not culling occluded objects properly resulting in the gpu rendering everything in the area. letting the gpu handle it is dropping the intensity on the cpu and letting the gpu only render whats actually in the field of view.

So its 1 part recent patch, and still could be a graphics card thats not fully stable at full load.

Posted by: Teknobug.3782

Teknobug.3782

If you think it’s your hardware failing, then run some stress tests in 3DMark11 or memtest86 or AMD OD tool or such. Or boot into Linux and run some tools from there.

Yak’s Bend WvWvW’er [Mount Phoenix Imperials]
Intel i7 3770K @ 4.5GHz | 8GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 ram | Gigabyte R9 280X 3GB (14.2)
Win 8 Pro 64bit

Squall Leonhart.2075

3DMark isn’t intense enough to simulate GW2 loads. occt on the other hand…..

Posted by: Blaine.4830

Blaine.4830

For the guy who keeps blaming everyones computers… log off please. Our computers didn’t all MAGICALLY break at the same time after the patch. Most of these are 3k+ gaming rigs that can play all the high graphic games out there at max settings.

Intel R i7-2600k 3.4ghz
8 GB DDR3 RAM @ 1333mhz
Windows 7 64bit
Nvidia GeForce GTX 560Ti Tried last 3 drivers

I get the same crash. Random times within 5-10 minutes.

Posted by: drinkmore.8053

drinkmore.8053

Intel i7-3610
6GB DDR3 RAM
Windows7 64bit
Intel HD Graphics 4000+Nvidia Geforce GT 650M

Dropping frames heavily in the game. And from temperature readings I believe Nvidia card is not working or at least malfunctioning. Before patch it is all ok.

serena smith.2734

if your card is malfunctioning I think then it’s something else..

Posted by: drinkmore.8053

drinkmore.8053

if your card is malfunctioning I think then it’s something else..

It works perfectly in gw2 before this patch as well as in anyother game.

Posted by: Shannon.9583

Shannon.9583

If the game was the problem, everybody would be having it. I personally haven’t lost any FPS recently, infact i think my FPS went up slightly, but again this could be a placebo change.

The issue is only affecting a few people, so it’s more likely something else running on their computer, overheating or some other factor.

Well, the people reporting BSOD and crashing… that’s certainly their machine. Games don’t cause those things.

However I have a perfectly find system, with a GTX690 DPU and a 3.8GHz i7 CPU.

At launch, game performance was excellent, routinely over 90FPS with all the pretty stuff turned on.

Several patches have degraded the game’s performance and now I never go over 60. Its perfectly playable, but pretty obvious that some of their changes have had a negative impact on performance.

During this time the other two games I play have been patched, and their performance is better, so this seems strictly isolated to GW2.

My hardware and drivers are not changing, and my machine has no overheating or other issues. The issue is new GW2 code not performing well.

Its happening with sound as well since the last 2 patches. Missing effects and music skipping, which again like the graphics performance, was never an issue when the game first came out.

Squall Leonhart.2075

in the latst patch, cpu usage is up, gpu usage is down.

i expect they are optimising cpu culling or something.

Posted by: Shannon.9583

Shannon.9583

in the latst patch, cpu usage is up, gpu usage is down.

i expect they are optimising cpu culling or something.

This latest patch is worse than before for me.

CPU usage is way up. Before I had maybe 30% of 4 cores used, now it routinely pegs all 8 in bursts, 4-5 50% plus all the time.

Its like they put more work on the CPUs and less on the GPUs… you generally want the opposite of that.

This game ran so perfectly at launch week, sigh…

Posted by: kilyan.3758

kilyan.3758

no.i must disagree with hardware fault, is known that all the times the game patches while fixing something,brokes something that was working fine(example dungeons).
too many reports at once for same patch of corrupted graphics, cannot be a hardware fault.
i have flickering white textures all over and floting numbers out of ui, it cannot be a hardaware problem,cause before the last patch was working fine and nothing changed in my configuration!
So if only one people have had issues , yes could be possibly a hardware fault, but if lots of people is reporting graphics issues, iits 100% not harware fault.
must add those floating white textures,happens only in gw2,in bf3,c9,assassin’s creed revelations, left4dead2 and i could go on , i don’t have this issue.
so stop saying is harware issue please!!!
thank you

phenom II x4 965 -corsair ax 650w gold
asus 560 ti dcII top -asrock 890 gx extreme 3
2×4 gb kingston hyperx genesys 1600 mhz

(edited by kilyan.3758)

Squall Leonhart.2075

Kilyan, such a change would induce artifacts, software crashing and odd vertex behavior

Not a TDR and hang

serena smith.2734

Im still wondering what’s gonna happen after today’s patch, maybe the “fix” or just make it worse

Posted by: Alpha Dragon.4576

Alpha Dragon.4576

Im still wondering what’s gonna happen after today’s patch, maybe the “fix” or just make it worse

Have you fix your problem? or does the driver still crash?

- Dare to be Different –
Eternal Breaker[ExB] || Sanctum of Rall