GW2 installed both on C:\ and E:\

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Ibbuli.4027

Ibbuli.4027

After trying to clean my almost full 60gb SSD (the C:\) of old windows updates, I realized that magically GW2 has 12gb worth of files on my C:\ and more 21gb of files on E:\, even though I only chose it to be installed to E:\, which haves a tera space on it.

I was planning on re-installing the whole game, but then I thought it might just do the same thing all over again. Why it is divided on both C:\ and E:\, even though it was supposed to be installed only to the other? GW1 sure has some files on C:\ as well, but they’re just small things like skill templates, taking only really small space.

Couldn’t also find GW2 uninstaller and the game was not listed in the windows deletion tool. :I

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Like most MMOs, GW2 doesn’t need to be installed in the traditional sense. You can simply move it to the location of your choosing. Also, there’s really no point in “reinstalling” the game since it won’t change anything, unless it’s severely corrupted.

Gw2.exe and Gw2.dat are the only files required. Gw2.exe is the launcher while Gw2.dat is all the data, which should be around 20 GB.

GW2 will store some stuff under your user directory, which is generally located under C:\. The folders it creates are %appdata%/Guild Wars 2/, Documents/Guild Wars 2/ and
%temp%/gw2cache-…/. If you ran Gw2Setup.exe, its temporary files may also be located under the %temp% folder (Gw2.exe and Gw2.dat).

(edited by Healix.5819)

Posted by: Red Queen.7915

Red Queen.7915

Which files remained on C:\, specifically? Local.dat can bloat obscenely, maybe that’s what happened? You moved/reinstalled the game to E:\, and forgot to delete/move the local.dat file. Either way, that file should not be bigger that ~35MB, though there are bugs that cause it to grow into infinity.

PSA: The amount of small felines serves as an indicator for just how angry I am at something.

Kaerleikur @ Elonaspitze

Ibbuli.4027

I haven’t so far touched GW2 files since installing them when I went to the beta, but what made me curious was the 12gb at my C:\. There’s GW2.dat at C:\ taking most of the space.

The names on the pic are in Finnish, but you’ll get the picture. That’s the content of the GW2 file at C:\.

Attachments:

Posted by: Red Queen.7915

Red Queen.7915

That looks like an old installation. I’m assuming it looks similar (just with a bigger GW2.dat file) on E:\, so the installation there should be fine.
You can always test this by adjusting your trash can to ~15Gb (just for a few minutes, don’t worry), delete the folder on C:\ and then run the game from E:\. If everything works fine, you can delete the old installation permanently, change back to your original trash can size and play happily ever after.

PSA: The amount of small felines serves as an indicator for just how angry I am at something.

Kaerleikur @ Elonaspitze

(edited by Red Queen.7915)

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Just look of the date of the GW2 dat .. that seems to be a very early beta version.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Ibbuli.4027

I just deleted the beta version and made sure all the GW2 shortcuts I have are directed to E:\ and it worked just fine, except now I have plenty of more space in my SSD.

Thanks for the help.