GW2 repeatedly giving me errors

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Jeffs.2183

Jeffs.2183

In the past few patches I’ve been having more and more problems running GW2, it constantly brings up error messages about the game being unable to continue running and occasionally it’ll straight up crash to desktop. I can’t even enter the new Bazaar zone for longer than 5 minutes because it’ll just crash completely. What’s weird though is that even though I get error messages saying my game is unable to continue running, it still works fine and I can drag the window off my screen and continue playing, the only problem is that it’ll just spam more and more of them until my game crashes. Every other game on my PC runs fine, it just seems to be GW2 that runs like a sack of kitten. What gives?

Attachments:

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

I’m thinking 2 possible issues:
Hardware failure – memory most likely. How much memory do you have and are the other games you run memory intensive or not? To be honest, the only way to test this is to replace the memory (or run a low level memory test….some motherboards have these built in, but there are free ones you can download).
GW2.EXE corrupted. If you have an old backup (from before you started seeing this issue), you could try to restore the GW2.EXE file. Your best bet is to uninstalled GW2 completely and re-install it.

Hope these give you some direction to go in.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Jeffs.2183

I’m thinking 2 possible issues:
Hardware failure – memory most likely. How much memory do you have and are the other games you run memory intensive or not? To be honest, the only way to test this is to replace the memory (or run a low level memory test….some motherboards have these built in, but there are free ones you can download).
GW2.EXE corrupted. If you have an old backup (from before you started seeing this issue), you could try to restore the GW2.EXE file. Your best bet is to uninstalled GW2 completely and re-install it.

Hope these give you some direction to go in.

I have 8gb RAM and 64 Windows 7. I’m not sure if the other games are intensive, but I play DOTA 2, DayZ and Arma 3 outside of GW2 and they run fine. I’ll try the reinstall tonight or something, cheers.

Posted by: Kyllaa.1385

Kyllaa.1385

First thing we need to do is see what these errors are! When these crashes occur, you should view the details before closing and find out what went wrong. Could you please post your crash log or if you can’t find that one, post the arenanet.log. (my documents/guild wars 2) If you can export as a .txt, you can attach it using more posting and formatting options below the input box. (then you won’t have to copy and paste segments and miss vital info)

Don’t assume it’s hardware failure yet!

Please post the rest of your specs, particularly, CPU, GPU, free hard drive space.

Jeffs.2183

First thing we need to do is see what these errors are! When these crashes occur, you should view the details before closing and find out what went wrong. Could you please post your crash log or if you can’t find that one, post the arenanet.log. (my documents/guild wars 2) If you can export as a .txt, you can attach it using more posting and formatting options below the input box. (then you won’t have to copy and paste segments and miss vital info)

Don’t assume it’s hardware failure yet!

Please post the rest of your specs, particularly, CPU, GPU, free hard drive space.

Sure, my spec is:

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570k @ 3.40 GHz (overclocked to 4.7 according to the company I bought from)
RAM: 8gb
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 670
HDD: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD (153GB free, I have GW2 installed on this if that makes a difference) & 2TB SATA HDD (1TB free)

It’s probably important to note that I copy and pasted GW2 file from my old PC to my new one. I didn’t question it at the time and this may be incredibly stupid on many levels but would it affect the game if it was downloaded on a 32bit OS and then copy and pasted to be played on my new 64bit OS?

I’ve attached that ArenaNet file also, I dunno how to provide the file for the crash I had 5 minutes ago.

Attachments:

Kyllaa.1385

No worries about the most recent crash, what you posted has more than enough data lol.

With your game install, it’s okay to copy/paste the gw2.dat file from one comp to another. As a good practice, it’s great to keep a backup of it, this way, if you need to download again, you won’t have to download the complete ~17.5gb file again. However, you should download a fresh installer, let it install, then once it has started to download the rest of it. Close it, paste your gw2.dat file overwriting the new one, then load the client again. It should scan this new dat file, then proceed to only download new updates and misc files.

You should always run the client as administrator.

Btw, have you tried running a repair?

Post back and let me know.

I forgot to ask about your drivers, have you tried the latest version yet?

(edited by Kyllaa.1385)

Jeffs.2183

No worries about the most recent crash, what you posted has more than enough data lol.

With your game install, it’s okay to copy/paste the gw2.dat file from one comp to another. As a good practice, it’s great to keep a backup of it, this way, if you need to download again, you won’t have to download the complete ~17.5gb file again. However, you should download a fresh installer, let it install, then once it has started to download the rest of it. Close it, paste your gw2.dat file overwriting the new one, then load the client again. It should scan this new dat file, then proceed to only download new updates and misc files.

You should always run the client as administrator.

Btw, have you tried running a repair?

Post back and let me know.

I forgot to ask about your drivers, have you tried the latest version yet?

I ran a repair just now and it hasn’t crashed once within 3 or so hours, surprisingly. I don’t know if it’s fixed but this wouldn’t happen before, I would’ve crashed within 10 minutes. My driver are all up to date also. I’ll play some more tomos and post back here if anything crashes, but otherwise this looks to be running okay now. Thanks for all your help, really appreciate it.

Kyllaa.1385

No worries, post back if you have any further issues.