Game Client Broken

Game Client Broken

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Raesin.2908

Raesin.2908

I made a topic like this about a week ago and although I never got any help, I thought I’d fixed it myself.

My game client won’t launch. Whenever I go to start up the game, the launcher opens, downloads 10689kb of something, closes, and then nothing happens.

I can’t uninstall and re-download it because it’s not in the list of programs under ‘’Uninstall or change a program’’. If I just try to re-download the game, the same thing happens.

After a bit of searching someone suggested deleting the .exe file and downloading a new one. I can’t download it because it won’t let me so a friend sent me his up-to-date .exe file. That worked and I was able to play for a while.
Now I assume there’s been another update and my client is messed up again.

I got the digital version and so I don’t have a disc to install from either.

Everything worked fine up until the SAB update and I haven’t really been able to play since. I guess this is the end of my GW2 days?

Does anyone know what I could do about it?

Edit: Or does anyone know how I could uninstall it without it under the ‘uninstall or change a program’ list?

(edited by Raesin.2908)

Game Client Broken

Posted by: ExTribble.7108

ExTribble.7108

You can uninstall it by just deleting the Gw2 folder wherever you installed it.
Like mine is “E:\Program Files (x86)\Guild Wars 2” (installed on second HDD, yours is likely on the “C:” drive).

See this page for reinstallation instructions.

If you know your current .exe works, consider just adding the -repair command to the shortcut (see wiki for specifics) and see if that fixes it. If that doesn’t work, then reinstall.

“Any lump can hack bad guys to death, but it takes skill
and style to turn them into craters and dust.” -Tonn
Number-crunching for ecto salvages – periodically updated

Game Client Broken

Raesin.2908

Thank you Tribble.
Neither option worked.

My browsing through my C:\Program Files (x86) and GW2 isn’t there (which is where all my other stuff is too). Browsing the rest of my C: drive and it’s not anywhere.
My GW2 file has always been the ‘Guild Wars 2 Beta’ file on my desktop.

Following the -repair instructions didn’t help and I got the same result as usual.
Deleting my GW2 file from my desktop and following the download instructions from the site doesn’t work either. I can download the GW2 Setup but then it opens, downloads 10690kb and closes again.
It doesn’t ask me if I want to setup, install or anything.

Searching for Guild Wars 2 in the search bar at the bottom of the windows program button only brings up the files from the desktop too.

Game Client Broken

Posted by: ExTribble.7108

ExTribble.7108

Forgot about the beta setup. I moved mine into the usual file folders once the game went live out of preference. It makes no functional difference having it on the desktop afaik though…

Did you delete the Gw2.dat file in that folder as well? That contains all the game files for Gw2, and should be pretty hefty (~17GB). Then download and run the setup and let it redownload the whole thing. With GW1 (which is setup the same way) buggy update behavior usually meant the .dat got corrupted somehow, so redownloading it usually fixed any issues for me.

If you deleted everything and reinstalled from scratch with no luck, then I’m out of ideas Hopefully someone else can pitch in here. Can’t hurt to send in a support ticket for Anet can give you some one-on-one help.

“Any lump can hack bad guys to death, but it takes skill
and style to turn them into craters and dust.” -Tonn
Number-crunching for ecto salvages – periodically updated

Game Client Broken

Posted by: BillFreist

BillFreist

Gameplay Programmer

Next

Its probably failing to relaunch the new .exe after that initial patch. Make sure you’re running it as an administrator.

Also, what files do you have in your game folder? if there are Gw2.000→Gw2.999 files there, that indicates the patching process is failing. Usually indicative of the above issue or an anti-virus program that’s preventing the patching process from completing. You could try adding Gw2.exe and Gw2.tmp to allowed exceptions in your anti-virus software.

-Bill

Game Client Broken

Raesin.2908

My GW2 file has
‘chrome’ text file
Guild Wars 2 Repair shortcut
Crash.dmp
Gw2.dat
Gw2.tmp
Gw2.exe

It appears to make no difference if I run as administrator.

Game Client Broken

Posted by: BillFreist

Previous

BillFreist

Gameplay Programmer

What is the size of the Gw2.tmp file? If its > 0kb, that means that the patcher isn’t able to clobber the old Gw2.exe. In which case leads me to believe that either Windows UAC or an antivirus program is blocking it.

A few things you could try:

• Whitelist the Gw2 files in your antivirus like I mentioned above.
  • Move your Gw2 folder into a folder such as: “C:\Games\Gw2”
  • Ensure Gw2.exe and Gw2.tmp aren’t set as read-only

Also moved to Tech Support subforum so Tech Support can help you resolve the issue.

Game Client Broken

Posted by: StinVec.3621

StinVec.3621

As Bill Freist mentioned, moving an existing installation of Guild Wars 2 (or installing from the very beginning) into a location other than in Program Files solves many issues with the game not working properly.

| [“I’d really like this…” — Resource for Gifting Strangers] |
| [Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs (and 1st Try Dive Tips)] |
| [Classic Thread: “all is vain”] |

Game Client Broken

Posted by: CobraNoctua.2579

CobraNoctua.2579

I have the same problem as described above.
Whitelist the Gw2 files in your antivirus like I mentioned above.
Move your Gw2 folder into a folder such as: “C:\Games\Gw2”
Ensure Gw2.exe and Gw2.tmp aren’t set as read-only
I have already checked the antivirus and gw2.exe and gw2. tmp were no on read only, so those were fine, moving the gw2 folder did not work.
Yesterday before the Build: 23,627 update my client worked fine, now it is stuck like described above.
What else can I do to fix this? Because I would really like to play.

Game Client Broken

Posted by: Dammoth.1794

Dammoth.1794

I can’t even touch any Gw2 files, i’ve searched and found all the files but i can’t move, copy or delete them. I am unsure what to do