Game client struggles to update

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Raison.2659

Raison.2659

Can we just download the missing files ?

Posted by: Aidan.3791

Aidan.3791

Nothing still? Been a day

Posted by: Vojji.7920

Vojji.7920

I have the same problem, i have tried changing the language and i have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game but I’m still stuck at 10 files to load XD this is the first time for this to happen to me. hopefully it will get fixed soon

Posted by: Artie.2576

Artie.2576

Guys guys guys! i’ve tried everything up, changing dns writing ticket and working with the arena net support nothing helped me but then i tried my steps again and used once more spotflux and it helped me ! try it again might be great!

p.s my friend got same problem he just went to other wifi connection and it worked for him throught too so try it!

Posted by: EpicDeamonFighter.3685

EpicDeamonFighter.3685

nothing helped

Posted by: Vojji.7920

Vojji.7920

I tried what Artie said, changing to a different wifi connection, and that worked for me took less than a minute to load the last few files thank you Artie

EpicDeamonFighter.3685

Different nework worked for me as well….

Many thanks !!!!

Posted by: Warrek.1074

Warrek.1074

Guys guys guys! i’ve tried everything up, changing dns writing ticket and working with the arena net support nothing helped me but then i tried my steps again and used once more spotflux and it helped me ! try it again might be great!

p.s my friend got same problem he just went to other wifi connection and it worked for him throught too so try it!

What he said! Thanks!

Posted by: Caspers Wake.5190

Caspers Wake.5190

So, it has been three days now and still can not play GW2. I’m on a work trip on Okinawa so deleting and re-installing all of the updates is out of the question. Is there a Repair option? Or is the last patch still broken?

Caspers Wake.5190

I did the -repair option and still the game crashes as soon as it starts. How many more of the holiday even do I have to miss?

Caspers Wake.5190

Attempting re-download of .dat file. 2 hours in only 14% complete.

Posted by: Greatatuin.2089

Greatatuin.2089

Hi have been having the same problem for the last three days. Submitted a support ticket with no reply. Did anyone received any support?

EpicDeamonFighter.3685

As mentioned above different internet network should work.

Also spotflux solution helped to a few people.

Posted by: mondello.2940

mondello.2940

I’m on mac an i have this problem nearly every time there’s a new patch, however, a reboot of the app will suually sort it out. This time my download speed floats to 0 and nothing happens.

Posted by: mondello.2940

mondello.2940

ok jhust did the spotflux thing and holy kittening kitten! what usually takes around 5-10 minutesto download took 15 seconds im cry

Caspers Wake.5190

Well, after reinstalling the entire game which took all night, I got the same serious game error and sent to Anet again. So I tried different internet, different DNS, different languages, and delete of C:\Users\cbrown\AppData\Roaming\Guild Wars 2 folder to get 100% of the patch. Then I got serious error and crash, I tried -repair, and delete C:\Program Files (x86)\Guild Wars 2\Gw2.dat. Which did a repair after downloading again anyway. I have been doing the send report to ANET each time, but still not able to play. I was playing fine before that update.

Posted by: Ashley Segovia.8276

Ashley Segovia.8276

Technical Support

Hey everyone,

We’re currently looking into this issue but we’ve not yet been able to narrow down the cause. If everyone could provide the following information this would be most helpful:

- Do you use DSL, cable, dial-up, satellite, or another connection method?

- Do you use any routers, hubs, or switches? If so, could you tell us the make and model of that equipment?

- Does your computer connect wirelessly, or does it use an Ethernet cable for connectivity (quick tip: If you’re connecting wirelessly, please try a wired connection)?

- Who is your Internet service provider?

- Where are you located? Your city and state/province would be helpful.

- Are you on a home, campus, business, or military network?

- Do you use any Internet Security Applications (ISA) or firewalls such as CYBERsitter, “Net-Nanny,” ZoneAlarmr, McAfeer or NortonT?

- What troubleshooting steps have you already tried?

Thanks very much for your patience everyone!

Posted by: Thunderbird.8036

Thunderbird.8036

Ok Guys here is the thing. I have been emailing Anet about this since this update was given. I made a forum post which they moved probably to somewhere here, but because I do not know much about forums I lost it when they moved it till I saw now that they pm’d me to say they moved it. Before they moved it I saw a reply similar to those here, that we are many of us having trouble. Anet have repeatedly told me in replies to my emails that I am singular in this problem, that you guys do not exist. No one else other than me is having this problem. I have redone this update 6 times at up to 5+gb each time and the last time I screen shot the process frequently up until it froze again. I even obtained a updated copy from a friend who for reasons unknown to me has updated ok on same operating system but has a different ISP. The game played from the external hard drive onto which I copied it but when I tried to copy the files into my computer it stopped at the very end of the 19.1gb dat file saying cannot read from source file. The dat file has a problem at the very end of it but Anet will not admit this despite my repeated efforts to point out the 3 separate computers here each with different operating systems are unable to complete this task. And yes I too spent about 12 hours restarting the exe thinking I might get this elusive last file in before trying to copy my friends game into my computers only to be stopped at the same point. But I am the only one having this problem. Anet told me so. They have told me it is my computer, my service provider. They told me it cannot possibly be their file as I am the only person with this problem. So 2 to 3 days now I have been persisting with download and copy attempts always to fail at the same point exactly. I have read many forums on how to fix. Most of these I had already done long ago solving other problems with one game or another. My computer and net are unchanged, only their files are the one thing that has had a change which they will not acknowledge. You will have to all email them and tell them there are many of us with this problem not just me like they tell me. They clearly do not read the forums.
Good luck guys. By their responses to me it looks like I will be forced to just leave due to no ability to be taken seriously that they have a fault in their dat file. It is just me or my service provider at fault. Tell that to the 5gb I managed to download 6 times trying to solve this. Oh last thing. For reasons I will no go into they told me that in their software the update can see if your computer might due to hardware or drivers or some other reason not be able to play this game therefore the game will not update. They just did not tell me that the part of there files that does this is at the very end of the update not the beginning, so it can go “HAH” you might not be able to play this game on that computer so you just wasted your time and download amount. Please try again so I can go “HAH” again while you try to work out what is going on.

(edited by Thunderbird.8036)

Posted by: wildmouse.6493

wildmouse.6493

DSL
- Do you use any routers, hubs, or switches? If so, could you tell us the make and model of that equipment?
Router Arris TG862
- Does your computer connect wirelessly, or does it use an Ethernet cable for connectivity (quick tip: If you’re connecting wirelessly, please try a wired connection)?
Ethernet
VTR
Chile, Viña del Mar, Valparaiso
Home
- Do you use any Internet Security Applications (ISA) or firewalls such as CYBERsitter, “Net-Nanny,” ZoneAlarmr, McAfeer or NortonT?
Nope
Pretty much everything, changing DNS, reinstalling the game, using -repair.

Thunderbird.8036

One last thing while I am on a roll since I only saw the admin reply above mine from a couple of hours ago. SERIOUSLY people. When they have not changed, why are these questions you ask important. If the method of connecting to the net has not changed and their computer has not been changed and their software has not been changed and we have not all got the same virus causing this problem, and the only SINGLE thing that has actually changed between many random people throughout the world is the files we are updating and we are all using different means of connections and the fault really truly exists at the very end of your DAT file as I seriously screenshot the whole update process as I said which went smoothly yet again until it came to “14 files remaining” and slowed to 0 and stopped, and yes if we persist long enough like hours that might eventually go to 1 file remaining but it will not complete. So between that info and the knowledge That I have had the exact same problem occur with the .dat file you have been pointed to the last little area of the dat file as the problem. It is not a log file but it is the result of patiently trying to discover the point of the problem. Surely narrowing it down like that must be a help to give you a smaller field to look in to resolve this. And it would be really nice too if someone from Anet might actually email me and apologise for saying I am the only person with this problem after moving my post and it taking this long for me to get back and find all these other posts here abouts. By the Lord Harry you have made me feel alone in this.

Posted by: hourglasseye.9617

hourglasseye.9617

I have the same problem. Am stuck on 3 files left.

Shouldn’t the problem be easy to isolate if you could pull the list of changes made to the launcher code in the last patch?

Edit: I tried tethering my phone and started the launcher using my mobile internet. It worked. I can play again.

(edited by hourglasseye.9617)

Posted by: BilboBaggins.5620

BilboBaggins.5620

Hey everyone,

We’re currently looking into this issue but we’ve not yet been able to narrow down the cause. If everyone could provide the following information this would be most helpful:

Thanks very much for your patience everyone!

My wife has had this problem since launch. We are on the same network only she connects wirelessly as does my son. My son never had this problem but he has a different brand wireless card than my wife.

We had an all-in-one modem/router from Netgear while she experienced this issue. I tried reinstalling network drivers, disabling Windows firewall, and reinstalling the game, all to no avail.

We have Charter for our home isp and are located in central Wisconsin and only use Microsoft security essentials for active virus protection.

Recently because of unrelated issues the all-in-one was replaced with a separate modem (Motorola) and router (Netgear). While her speeds with the holiday patch were abysmal, she never went to zero or had to restart the patch.

This was the only patch to go off so far so I can’t say the problem is fixed, but I’m keeping my fingers crossed. Hope this helps.

Thunderbird.8036

My friend who has not been stopped by this issue has Telstra cable network in Australia. I too in Australia only 10klm from him have optusnet cable connection. He updated and played. I cannot. We both have cable network not wireless in house.

Posted by: Dante.5794

Dante.5794

I live in Australia.
My service provider is Optus.
Wired connection through router.
ALso have tried wireless.
Mine does not work.

Ps: i also refuse to change DNS settings or download any software. I will have to wait for Anet to update and fix this issue.

Lel

Posted by: OppyLock.8401

OppyLock.8401

ohhh K … had this problem as well.
I’m in Australia behind a router, but can also direct connect to both Optus and Telstra Internet. Symptoms were no different regardless of ISP, DNS, deleting files, -repair, -clientport 80, etc. Downloads 20Mb and stops. No error.

Tried most of the tactics in this thread with no joy. Got down to 4 files .. no further.
Logged a ticket with ANET and have even sent a wireshark trace of the failure. The trace didn’t look too special to me, traffic just stops. Might be something in there though.

However, just now, I turned off Microsoft Security Essentials real-time protection and got some action from the launcher. It downloaded 2 files and stopped at 20Mb. Rolled the dice again and it got the last two files … and I’m in game.

So … I can’t troubleshoot it any further. But give MSE real-time disabling a shot…

Thunderbird.8036

Okay everyone. I had given up apart from still watching the forums. After looking at Oppylock’s post above I decided to try to emulate what he had done. It is not the first time I had done it, but after 13 hours the first time and only a few failures with defender turned of I have previously given up. I turned off defender (again) just as Oppylock said he did and repeatedly restarted the exe when and only when it absolutely stopped. You have to be patient. It has taken me many restarts to get from 14 files remaining until it actually completed the update. I too am now in the game. Please everyone try this and be patient and constantly repeat the restarts as long as it is still willing to try to get in a bit more of the update. It is frustrating and you too will begin to believe that it will never happen for you, but now it has happened for 2 of us. Oppylock and myself & maybe anyone else out there who has tried it so persistently.
Thank you Oppylock. Without your post I would never have bothered trying again. I thought I had tried everything.

Posted by: jasepo.1527

jasepo.1527

Well for my case, my network settings are as basic as any domestic setting. Ethernet and a wifi router, default settings except using google DNS.

Attachments:

Posted by: Dante.5794

Dante.5794

Okay everyone. I had given up apart from still watching the forums. After looking at Oppylock’s post above I decided to try to emulate what he had done. It is not the first time I had done it, but after 13 hours the first time and only a few failures with defender turned of I have previously given up. I turned off defender (again) just as Oppylock said he did and repeatedly restarted the exe when and only when it absolutely stopped. You have to be patient. It has taken me many restarts to get from 14 files remaining until it actually completed the update. I too am now in the game. Please everyone try this and be patient and constantly repeat the restarts as long as it is still willing to try to get in a bit more of the update. It is frustrating and you too will begin to believe that it will never happen for you, but now it has happened for 2 of us. Oppylock and myself & maybe anyone else out there who has tried it so persistently.
Thank you Oppylock. Without your post I would never have bothered trying again. I thought I had tried everything.

Dude, i dont want to waste my time trying again and again its a waste of my time, i just want to go into the game play the events and have fun not stress myself

Lel

Posted by: BilboBaggins.5620

BilboBaggins.5620

I have MSE on and have never had a problem downloading updates. I would not recommend disabling real-time antivirus protection unless your computer is disconnected from any and all networks, especially the internet.

Posted by: Wolfslayer.5496

Wolfslayer.5496

ok after 15 tries ive managed to get it to 3 files left down from 8 this morning but this is really poor patch managment its not like its a isolated case there are a lot of ppl ive spoken too who are having the same problem,,now it seams to be here in australia unsure if its happening in any other region but i suggest anet do something this is not wise to leave ppl without a game for a whole weekend and give no updates as to the progress of the fix..to be honest it has kittened quite a few ppl that i know right off considering we are not getting to do any of the event even if it is the last few days after tomorrow its stiff kitten if we wanted anything and even more bad luck if the new living story starts and it not fixed im sure as kitten betting there will be no compensation for the days and opportunities we have missed out on due to this worst patch in the world..

Caspers Wake.5190

Usually I do this from home in Florida but I’m away on a work trip which I was able to connect and play before the patch.

I tried wireless and Direct Ethernet to Cable modems and DSL modems.
routers: tried D-link WBR-1310, Netgear CG3000D, and CISCO DPC3010.
tried Military, Hotel, and Mediatti Broadband Communications
Kadena, Okinawa.
At hotel on Kadena Airforce Base in Okinawa Japan.
No firewalls when not on military connection.
I tried every step mentioned above. Different languages, Different DNS, Different internet connections and providers. A fresh download of Gw2.dat

Posted by: SouthLight.1275

SouthLight.1275

Try creating a personal network and connecting it through wifi or USB, then downloading the rest of the files. It worked for me when all else failed.

Hope this helps some people!

Posted by: elkirin.8534

elkirin.8534

This patch downloaded seamlessly for me. The previous patch I had to use a vpn switching my apparent location to USA west coast from Brisbane australia to download last 7 files.

Something changed for the better for me, thanks.

Dubain – Sea of Whoever we are Linked to now

Posted by: Reptile.6583

Reptile.6583

It’s started again for me…

- Do you use DSL, cable, dial-up, satellite, or another connection method? Cable-Optus

- Do you use any routers, hubs, or switches? If so, could you tell us the make and model of that equipment? Optus DPQ3925 Modem and TP-LINK TL-SG1008D Switch

- Does your computer connect wirelessly, or does it use an Ethernet cable for connectivity (quick tip: If you’re connecting wirelessly, please try a wired connection)? Wired

- Who is your Internet service provider? Optus

- Where are you located? Your city and state/province would be helpful. Frankston VIC. Aust.

- Are you on a home, campus, business, or military network? Home

- Do you use any Internet Security Applications (ISA) or firewalls such as CYBERsitter, “Net-Nanny,” ZoneAlarmr, McAfeer or NortonT? Avast – disabled

- What troubleshooting steps have you already tried? Eddited Host file as in some posts here.

…….
………..

Posted by: Other.1037

Other.1037

Just started again for me after being gone for almost two weeks
Cable

Optus DPQ3925 Modem + Linksys E3200

Wired

Optus

Frankston VIC. Aust.

Home

Avast

Tried powercycling both modem and router, disabling Avast. Last time I had to open and close the launcher constantly over two days and I was stuck on 7 files left, this time starting with the most recent patch I’m stuck on 1 25mb+ file that doesn’t finish.

Edit: one minute after posting this it managed to download the last file, game runs perfectly fine too. Weird

(edited by Other.1037)

Posted by: Creasul Helmgart.6103

Creasul Helmgart.6103

Same here: couldn’t download initial big patch but no issues with the smaller ones in the last two weeks. todays again stuck on last file after 25MB download. Never had any issues before really with connections to gw2 servers

Cable

Netgear CG3000v2

wireless

Optus

Coburg, Victoria, australia

Home

none

EDIT: last time i fixed it by using SPOTFLUX for the download then deactivating. however, this doesn’t seem to work now, the client can’t connect to the servers…

EDIT: fixed the issue with SPOTFLUX by deleting the local.dat file. downloaded just fine after

(edited by Creasul Helmgart.6103)

Posted by: Legolas.2914

Legolas.2914

I noticed these posts are mostly 18 days ago…but I am still having the same problem. Trying to dl 1 file only now but gets to 25Mb and stops. I have probably done this 20-30 times and no change.

Would appreciate any advice as to how to complete this update? thanks

Posted by: davor.2739

davor.2739

Hello guys…
I’m having the very same problem as you all… I’m a little glad that I’m not the only one… In my case I have only 1 file remaining.. it downloads to 25MB and then the downlaod speed goes to 0KB/S…
Also important to mention that I’m playing on mac, and I never had a problem like this before…. I really don’t know how to fix this on mac, idk if that external software that worked for some ppl is for mac =/
I’ve been emailing tech support but with poor answers like “clean your SAFARI cache” … (safari? wtf?)

Posted by: pominoz.7452

pominoz.7452

Im so stuck on this. I am a mac user I have tried the change language thing flush DNS but cant get the client installed. Please get a solution to this.

Posted by: davor.2739

davor.2739

Guys !! I managed to make it work… however I think that this may work with ppl with 1 file left. I tried it on my pc and my mac and i succeeded on both.
Whenever the download speeds starts dropping to 0, change the language to any other… so that the client will start download again…(will ask you to restart). I switched beetween 3 languages I think and when I got back to english the file was downloaded and I had the play button red.
I think the problem is that the client actually DID download the last file (25MB for me) and that’s why the speed dropped to 0, because it didnt have anything else to download, however, for reasons unknown, the link with the play button was blown… changing the language when the speed was dropping worked for me, on MAC and PC … Give it a try and good luck !

Posted by: pominoz.7452

pominoz.7452

Weird as… been trying to get mine to work for days now. I just tried tethering my phone and it still failed. un-tethered my phone and went back to my wireless and it worked ???

Caspers Wake.5190

Back in America now, and still the same issue. I completely uninstalled and re-installed the game and still the same. I tried on another computer and it works. Did the patch stop working for some video cards or something? Error shows: failed to load program files\guild wars 2\bin\ui_resources_100_percent.pak ; local_file_path.empty() ; could not recognize mime type of coui://web/launcher/app/arena/recourses/fonts/easonpro-regular-webfont.tff or easonpro-bold-webfont.tff

Posted by: Reptile.6583

Reptile.6583

Again with this update… I can’t download the last file…. this sucks…… Very frustrating…

Posted by: Arus.8745

Arus.8745

Same problem here :-( The Living Story patch went fine, but the one from yesterday still won’t download. Stuck at 27MB downloaded. Not the first time I’ve had trouble patching either. Particularly frustrating because I had 3GB internet left… and have wasted around 600MB with reloading, trying in different language settings (which has helped in the past). This is getting beyond rediculous. We shouldn’t have to be mucking around with settings or jumping through hoops with workarounds just to update the game!

By the time the patch actually works (heaven forbid!) I’ll have no internet left to play! :-(

Posted by: killiandros.4928

killiandros.4928

Also on Optus here – I had the same issue last night (and several weeks ago) – just closing the launcher and restarting it multiple times eventually resolved it.

Hosts file edits, VPN, reinstalling, removing files from the directory – patching then replacing files etc. – nothing worked for me.

All I can suggest is to keep trying with closing / re-opening the patcher when it stalls.

Posted by: Fish of doom.4137

Fish of doom.4137

well i can tell you what worked for me.

i downloaded “hotspot shield” (simple googling will find it), then i launched the updater. waited for it to finish. closed it. disabled hotspot shield. relaunch then everything worked.

Posted by: Artie.2576

Artie.2576

Hi guys ! once again i had the same problem with the last 1% like i wrote before try to use spotflux it helps me for the 2nd time hope it assist u too! good day

Posted by: telanthar.8102

telanthar.8102

I’m having the same issue with the latest update – it gets to 26 MB downloaded and then stops every time

Arus.8745

Optus and Australian here – seems like a trend maybe? Ah well, in any case I finally managed to patch it. Didn’t do anything different – just came back and tried again a couple of hours after my little hissy fit :-P Hopefully no more patches for a little while!

Arus.8745

I’m having the same issue with the latest update – it gets to 26 MB downloaded and then stops every time

Yeah I normally get to 27MB :-P First time it happened to me a few patches ago I changed language settings on the client, which restarts everything (French and German seemed to do more than Spanish – maybe that’s just me lol) That didn’t work this time though but might be worth a shot.