Game crashing computer at random intervals

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Feirlista Xv.1425

Feirlista Xv.1425

Same issue happening and I have a Radeon 7900. The really strange thing is that it shuts down my entire mobo and I have to do a hard reset of my PS to get my computer booting again. There are a LOT of problems with this game’s code that need to be addressed. I wish Anet would focus on a pure bug fix patch. I’m pretty sure the community wouldn’t mind one patch that doesn’t add content if it addresses the major issues plaguing the game

If this were a coding issue then more people would have this issue and wether you want to believe it or not the percentage is very low the problem is more likely a hardware issue. There are a number of reasons that cause PCs to lock up shut down or just act odd. Two of the main reasons a PC will just shut down it is, a bad or under rated power supply, and over heating. Most gaming PC require at least a 600watt supply, if you have anything less this is most likely your issue. Some people will disagree with this saying you don’t need that much and why waist the power. Well here the thing the PSU doesn’t run at a constant 600watts like a light bulb does it runs at the power that you system draw from it. So if you had a 1200watt supply and all the stuff in your system only draws 200watts that’s about all the PSU will draw form the wall socket maybe a little is lost in heat but that all depends on how efficient your PSU is. You may get by with less but I can almost guarantee that most of the shut down issue are PSU related so check you PSU get a good one, a name brand one. If you cheaped out on the PSU when you built your system then this is most likely the problem. Get rid of the $19.99 PSU and get a better one.
The next issue is over heating, do you have good airflow around your system do you have good airflow inside your system. How often do you open up you system and check for dust build up it doesn’t take much dust to clog the heat sink blades and reduce airflow. When is the last time you checked the heat sink compound on your CPU, this will dry out and loose effectiveness. I have seen factory built systems that were shipped with no heat sink compound at all. There are several youtube videos on how to reapply heat sink compound I recommend the pea method and never spread the compound out with a plastic card. let the pressure of installing the heat sink spread the compound you will get less bubbles. While you have the system case open reseat all cards and memory sticks reseating is just removing and reinstalling the card or stick.
The next issue is bad ram, check your ram with a good test app like Memtest this app needs to be burned to a cd and booted, it is the most efficient method for testing ram. It needs to run for several hours at least over night but 24 hours is best. Never use one of those windows based memory test apps they don’t work because windows and other app will have protected memory allocation that can’t be tested.
The next thing that can cause issues if hardware component failure while most components on your motherboard or cards can’t be visually inspected the most common component that can fail can be. Capacitors are the most common component that can fail, capacitors are small cylindrical and covered with a plastic colored sleeve. The most common color is light blue but could be other colors, also when a capacitor fails it has a tendency to want to explode, so capacitor are manufactured with a X.K,orY grooved into the top of the aluminum cylinder as a relief valve. If one fails the top of the capacitor will bodge up and sometime there will be a brown colored discharge from the grooves if you have a capacitor the does not look flat on top chances are it has failed in extreme cases the cylinder has raised up or blown apart. There are good youtube video that will show this and what to look for. If you have a bad cap then the best thing to do is replace the board or card.

Opinions are like ______ everyone has one I could
put the correct term in but not everyone has kittens

Posted by: Giggityman.2837

Giggityman.2837

Same issue happening and I have a Radeon 7900. The really strange thing is that it shuts down my entire mobo and I have to do a hard reset of my PS to get my computer booting again. There are a LOT of problems with this game’s code that need to be addressed. I wish Anet would focus on a pure bug fix patch. I’m pretty sure the community wouldn’t mind one patch that doesn’t add content if it addresses the major issues plaguing the game

If this were a coding issue then more people would have this issue and wether you want to believe it or not the percentage is very low the problem is more likely a hardware issue. There are a number of reasons that cause PCs to lock up shut down or just act odd. Two of the main reasons a PC will just shut down it is, a bad or under rated power supply, and over heating. Most gaming PC require at least a 600watt supply, if you have anything less this is most likely your issue. Some people will disagree with this saying you don’t need that much and why waist the power. Well here the thing the PSU doesn’t run at a constant 600watts like a light bulb does it runs at the power that you system draw from it. So if you had a 1200watt supply and all the stuff in your system only draws 200watts that’s about all the PSU will draw form the wall socket maybe a little is lost in heat but that all depends on how efficient your PSU is. You may get by with less but I can almost guarantee that most of the shut down issue are PSU related so check you PSU get a good one, a name brand one. If you cheaped out on the PSU when you built your system then this is most likely the problem. Get rid of the $19.99 PSU and get a better one.
The next issue is over heating, do you have good airflow around your system do you have good airflow inside your system. How often do you open up you system and check for dust build up it doesn’t take much dust to clog the heat sink blades and reduce airflow. When is the last time you checked the heat sink compound on your CPU, this will dry out and loose effectiveness. I have seen factory built systems that were shipped with no heat sink compound at all. There are several youtube videos on how to reapply heat sink compound I recommend the pea method and never spread the compound out with a plastic card. let the pressure of installing the heat sink spread the compound you will get less bubbles. While you have the system case open reseat all cards and memory sticks reseating is just removing and reinstalling the card or stick.
The next issue is bad ram, check your ram with a good test app like Memtest this app needs to be burned to a cd and booted, it is the most efficient method for testing ram. It needs to run for several hours at least over night but 24 hours is best. Never use one of those windows based memory test apps they don’t work because windows and other app will have protected memory allocation that can’t be tested.
The next thing that can cause issues if hardware component failure while most components on your motherboard or cards can’t be visually inspected the most common component that can fail can be. Capacitors are the most common component that can fail, capacitors are small cylindrical and covered with a plastic colored sleeve. The most common color is light blue but could be other colors, also when a capacitor fails it has a tendency to want to explode, so capacitor are manufactured with a X.K,orY grooved into the top of the aluminum cylinder as a relief valve. If one fails the top of the capacitor will bodge up and sometime there will be a brown colored discharge from the grooves if you have a capacitor the does not look flat on top chances are it has failed in extreme cases the cylinder has raised up or blown apart. There are good youtube video that will show this and what to look for. If you have a bad cap then the best thing to do is replace the board or card.

Nope, none of those issues. PS at 800 W, RAM actually being underclocked, BIOS reads internal temps at a cool 29 degrees C in addition to no thermal event warnings, capacitors are all fine, no deformities. Also, GW2 is the only game crashing my comp, I can play any other game for a long time I own and not have a single issue. Read other people’s posts in the thread, it’s the game and not the hardware

Posted by: Burn.5401

Burn.5401

Have the absolute same issue as Giggityman. Problem started occuring the last couple days so I doubt that it’s a coincidence.

Posted by: kylejester.7568

kylejester.7568

Just replying in this thread to let Anet know that people are still having this problem. I have a 660ti as well. GW2 is the only game where my game will freeze to a colored screen and I have to force a restart. No point in posting specs as it is the same as most people in this thread.

Posted by: Zerli.8401

Zerli.8401

This is happening to me aswell!. I run an i5 3570k CPU with 8GB of ram and a 560ti GPU. My screen goes black and says “no connection” and then my computer reboots. please help! this happends after like 30 minutes of playing!

Posted by: Goodknight.8367

Goodknight.8367

I have the same issue and it seems a bit discouraging to see how far back this problem goes. I played over a year ago with a lower spec NVIDIA graphics card (cant remember the model) and had no issues then. First day back to the game now and it keeps crashing. It just reboots the pc as if i turned it off at the plug then starts back up again.
Last time however the my screens went blank and the fan on the pc kicked in very loudly, nothing happened until i held the power button in to reset it. Each time it starts up i have no crash reports.

I’m running:
Windows 8.1 64 bit
Intel Core i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40Ghz
24.0GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780

Currently repairing the game’s installation in a long shot to see if it helps.

(edited by Goodknight.8367)

Posted by: Jigain.8231

Jigain.8231

Well, this is certainly a blast from the past.

I had this exact issue, oh, maybe one, one and a half years ago. But only on one character – my thief. If I played him, within 30 minutes or so the computer would just completely shut down. I just resorted to never playing that character, and everything was fine.

Had a bit of a hiatus, came back, decided to try leveling the thief. Not a single issue playing for 6+ hours in a single day. Haven’t had a crash on that character since. Or any other characters, for that matter.

Nothing was changed hardware-wise on my system. The only thing I can think of is that I updated graphics card drivers and such in the time between the two events. Not saying that’ll fix it for you, but that’s quite literally the only thing that changed on my end.

This post may contain a high concentration of sarcasm and irony.
If you are allergic to these ingredients, do not consume.

Posted by: Lycart.5487

Lycart.5487

I am having the same issues, at first, it started happening in the middle of gameplay. However, recently, i cant even seem to get into the character selection screen, as my pc crashes right after.

Just like most of you i use a NVidia, GeForce GTX 570

These issues started since the latest patch. So i hope they will fix it soon.

Posted by: nnitr.8976

nnitr.8976

I’m having this problem too, please if anyone in this thread managed to fix it tell me how you did it.

Posted by: SirPuddlesworth.6783

SirPuddlesworth.6783

I am experiencing this exact problem though I have to manually reboot my computer, first done a virus scan; reveled nothing. Second came on here, and STILL NO FIX?! Pls halp, i didn’t spend 1 grand on my new build for this to happen! (p.s. i am new to guild wars, amazing community )

Posted by: Bogus.4901

Bogus.4901

Same problem here; Black screen, last second of sound loops a few times and i need to hard reset manually..

Never had this before with GW2 or any other game untill i started playing after the patch again today.

So 3 pages of people who have a problem which is obviously related to patches for GW2 since everyone has a diffrent system running it, and still no tech support reply.

Patch the kitten game so I/we can play hours and hours without having to reboot ever30 to 60 min..

Posted by: Tron.3471

Tron.3471

I have the same problem. I believe it started after the sept feature patch. Ive tried a bunch of things and put support tickets in. Nothing seems to help.

Win 8.1
i7-3770k 3.5 GHz
DH77EB MB
8 GB RAM
GTX 770 4GB EVGA version
650W PSU

Posted by: Minus All Logic.1986

Minus All Logic.1986

Having exactly the same issue after upgrading from an HD Radeon 7970 at the weekend to a GTX 780ti OC. I have tried everything I can think of, downgrading drivers, removing other hardware, Bios update, chipset driver update, It only happens with GW2, any other game I can run with no problem whatsoever, I’ve even run some of the most intensive benchmarking tests to try & trip it up & nothing. Unigine Heaven benchmark on Ultra x8 AA, Furmark 15 mins burn in test, 3Dmark all tests, Skyrim on Ultra, not a single thing even made it hiccup, but log into Guild Wars 2 & within minutes it crashes, as many of you have said with no crash logs or anything pointing at any issue.

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
Intel Core i7 3770K @ 3.50GHz
8.00GB Ram
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P8Z77-V (LGA1155)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti (ZOTAC International) Latest drivers 344.60 released 4/11/14
447GB OCZ-AGILITY3 (SSD)
Enermax Galaxy 1000w PSU

I will stick in a support ticket but I’m with everyone else on this it definitely seems like a GW2 issue.

Guild Leader: Hilarious Drunken Buffoons [PIST]
Spending Every Day With Bleary Eyes

Posted by: metalraimon.4532

metalraimon.4532

I’m having exactly the same issues with a GTX 650 Ti 2GB. After the black screen the cool fans from my computer keep spinning, but the ones from my GPU stop working

Posted by: Abajo.3240

Abajo.3240

Aaaaaaaaaaand now its my turn! I have a really sound pc just like most of you do with a NVIDIA 660 ti Graphics card in there. (i saw the first few posts had the same card) This seriously needs to be fixed… I tried to play this game years ago when i saw the first few posts in this VERY thread, and it makes me very sad that the posts continue to compile as the issue has not been resolved. This must be adressed! Please!

Posted by: Vic.5108

Vic.5108

I am having the same problems too. I can’t even get a crash report generated! My specs and drivers are all up to date as well. My PC specs are: AMD FX™ 6300 six core processor, 64 bit windows 10, Radeon R9 200 series. It shuts my PC down during or right after the loading screen and the whole thing reboots…hoping it gets fixed soon as well. I have 111 gb on the pc, 3.50 Ghz and it has let me play 12 + hrs before this.

(edited by Vic.5108)

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

It shuts my PC down during or right after the loading screen and the whole thing reboots…

Disable automatic reboot on system errors so that you may see the blue screen.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Vic.5108

I got my issue fixed, I used the High DPI option on the compatibility option in windows 10 and it is running fine now.

Vic.5108

I went and used High DPI option, then went into my game settings and choose best performance and its running fine, hope this helps someone else!