Game wont start computer restarts

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Roadkill.6895

Roadkill.6895

Hey guys been battling this for a couple weeks now. I have an i3-2120 @3.30 ghz, 8gb of ram, gigabyte p67a-ud3-b3 motherboard, an r7-370 with 2gb on it. I start the computer everything works fine. I can surf the internet I can do everything but start gw2. I start it goes to character selection screen and boom computer turns off and restarts. I have checked the system event logs nothing in there. I have used the ddu uninstaller to get a fresh install of drivers for the card. Retried to play and boom down it goes. It was playing fine for hours about 2 weeks ago and now it does this. Could it be a power supply? any help is appreciated!!

Posted by: aandiarie.7195

aandiarie.7195

Maybe try doing a repair on the game, but I hope it isn’t your ram or your gaming card. Ask a computer savy person. I think for me it was my video or gaming card or whatever it’s called that needed fixed when mine would power down.

Posted by: aandiarie.7195

aandiarie.7195

If you have to get a new computer the website of newegg is a good one and a really nice computer for the price is Asus. I like the i5 or i7 and 1tb is good to have. And a video gaming card with like 900 something or 1000 ish I can’t remeber the exact number, but that thing too.

Posted by: onevstheworld.2419

onevstheworld.2419

A failing or inadequate power supply is a common reason for powering down under stress. Judging from your pc’s CPU, I’d guess it’s at least 5 or 6 years old, which it a good amount if time, especially if it’s a cheap PSU.

You should be able to get a quality brand 500+w bronze or silver PSU for fairly cheap. If it’s not the PSU (motherboard or ram failures can also cause random errors), you can still use the PSU in your new build.

Posted by: OGDeadHead.8326

OGDeadHead.8326

In my experience, the hardware that fails most often are PSUs.
I’ve used PCs for 20+ years, and during that time I’ve had one harddrive fail, one motherboard, one graphics card and probably five or six PSUs.

Just recently my PC were acting up with random crashes, reboots, black screens and graphic artifacts. I was sure this time it was my graphics card, but it turned out to be yet another PSU failing, even though the one I had were a supposedly high quality 750W gold standard product.

Win10 pro | Xeon 5650 @ 4 GHz | R9 280x toxic | 24 Gig Ram | Process Lasso user

Posted by: Engelsstaub.4356

Engelsstaub.4356

What about other games? Do they work?

What power supply you have?

Posted by: Ashantara.8731

Ashantara.8731

I start the computer everything works fine. I can surf the internet I can do everything but start gw2.

Have you checked temperatures? 3D applications heat up your CPU and GPU. If you don’t have sufficient cooling, especially during summertime, that can kill your hardware.

As mentioned before, it could also be a power issue. Usually, your PSU turns off the computer when it registers an issue to prevent hardware damage. Unlikely here, though, since you said it restarted and not that it turned off. (Did you receive a bluescreen message?)

Posted by: JackOfAllGames.2409

JackOfAllGames.2409

Just piling on, as others have said, the PSU is a likely culprit with those symptoms. If you can underclock some of your hardware (warning: adjust clock speeds at your own risk, be sure you know what you’re doing, etc.) you may be able to mitigate the problem for a bit, but the only cure for a bad PSU is a new PSU.

I’d also check things like CPU temp (and other temps if available). The system might shut down if overheating. It could also be a number of other failing components, but an aging PSU is probably most likely – PSU capability decreases over time. It’s probably just barely keeping up with a normal load. Then when the video card really kicks in, BAM!

(edited by JackOfAllGames.2409)