Help! Windows10 deleted GW2?

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Sinbold.8723

Sinbold.8723

Hoping I can get some help here. My elderly mother uses my PC and I’m pretty sure she messed something up because Windows 10 decided it would take over my PC. Either that, or I was force upgraded. Either way, my desktop shortcuts were all gone after the install, and I cannot find the program files to even start the game. Did W10 delete my game files and all of my screenshots? Do I have to re-download the game?

Any help would be appreciated.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Use “save as” and don’t start directly from your temp folder.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

Sounds like you got caught in the sneaky move MS is pulling by putting the Win10 update under recommended updates for all Win7 / 8.1 units.

You in theory shouldn’t have had to reinstall anything, unless you did not go through the setup properly. Which given your story about your mother makes sense.

To sum this up, you’re likely to have to re-install the game.

Sinbold.8723

Wow, what a drag! Thank you for your replies. I lost a ton of photographs as well, it would seem, and those I cannot replace. I REALLY hate Microsoft right now.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Check the folder C:\Windows.old\

Or just search the entire computer for Gw2.dat or Gw2.exe.

Posted by: Necrotic.7820

Necrotic.7820

This is what can happen when your elderly mother has admin privileges.

Or is this another case of sharing the same single user login? If so then you should now create a separate user account for her and yours should be password protected.

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

Your pics will not have been deleted. you’ve just got to find them…

Posted by: ST Babaganosh.3745

ST Babaganosh.3745

I am sorry to say your pics might be gone if she needed to “free up more space” it is an option during the upgrade process. One thing you could do depending on what options she chose for the upgrade is roll back it gives you 30 days. Roll back find your data make a back up and then do a clean upgrade and restore your data/game

Sinbold.8723

Last night, searches turned up nothing-nada, zip, zilch. Turned off my PC at about 4 a.m. when AT&T decided they’d do work on my internet connection so I couldn’t get on line anyway. Turned my PC on this afternoon and first thing I get is a blue screen with the sentence, “All your files are exactly where you left them.” And by golly- they were. I still hate them for putting me through all that though. Jerks.

Posted by: ekkue.3754

ekkue.3754

sorry I can’t help with your problem, but just wanted to add…

2 days ago i came back to my computer after being afk and had the annoying update to w10 box that likes to pop up, but this time it said something along the lines of ‘you are scheduled to update to windows 10 on 8 March or update now’

i know for certain i never scheduled an upgrade, it seems it took the liberty of doing that itself, thankfully it was easy to cancel. It sounds entirely possible that they did the same to you and you missed the cancel notification (maybe your mother was on it at the time)

Posted by: Bubbagump.4158

Bubbagump.4158

and people wonder why everyone is saying to avoid windows 10,,,, me included! I say it lol. disable automatic updates if your using windows 7 or 8 save your self the headache. microsoft will support 7 till 2021 so your fine on that ,, just without directX12 , on GW2 you dont need it anyway ,, on most games you dont need DX12 so yea. if you have your windows 7 install disc Itry to reinstall 7 after a back up of files. and go back to that windows 10 is full of trouble and privacy violations.