How to repair? Update continues to fail

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Aniaden.3581

Aniaden.3581

As I was updating the client my power went out. When I tried to re-start the game client I just get this error:

—> Crash <—
Assertion: Failed to load file.
File: ..\..\..\Services\LoadHandle\LoadHandle.cpp(142)
App: Gw2.exe
Pid: 2964
Cmdline:
BaseAddr: 00400000
ProgramId: 101
Build: 15534
When: 2012-09-18T13:03:21Z 2012-09-18T09:03:21-04:00
Uptime: 0 days 0:00:01
Flags: 0

Posted by: DaveK.1023

DaveK.1023

If I had this problem I would do this:

1, re-download the client
2, run with -repair option
3, if still no dice, re-download the whole thing

Aniaden.3581

How do I run the repair option? When I click the GW2 icon I automatically get that error. Sorry I must be missing something, thanks for the help!

DaveK.1023

Right-click the icon, find the “…\Gw2.exe” line and put -repair after it, so that it looks “…\Gw2.exe” -repair. Press Apply or OK.

THEN double-click the icon again.

But that only applies if you have a freshly donwloaded client, the Gw2.exe in question. In case it was corrupted somehow.

Aniaden.3581

Thank you! I will try that now

Posted by: abigdeal.7468

abigdeal.7468

Happened to me too OP. Completely corrupted my GW2 folder. I have to now re download the game

Aniaden.3581

Sigh I really dont want to re insall the game again over something that should be trivial. I tried entering in the -repair line but nothing happens when i click the icon other than the same error as before

Aniaden.3581

Im trying to re download the whole game now, however when it checks for updates I still get this error

• Crash <—*
    File: ..\..\..\Services\LoadHandle\LoadHandle.cpp(142)
    Pid: 3012
    Cmdline: -allowInstall
    BaseAddr: 00400000
    ProgramId: 101
    Build: 15534
    When: 2012-09-18T13:27:39Z 2012-09-18T09:27:39-04:00
    Uptime: 0 days 0:00:01
    Flags: 0

Aniaden.3581

Its no fault of your own Dave, usually I can repair this type of thing myself but I’m not having alot of luck this time.

DaveK.1023

So this is happening when you click on a FRESHLY NEW DOWNLOADED Gw2.exe, right ?

Aniaden.3581

I found the problem, If you go into your folder you will see the corrupted files Just deleted those and started again. Its working now. I should have looked closer earlier and I could have avoided the re install lol. Thank you for the help though.

DaveK.1023

Glad it works, happy downloading.

Posted by: Varjos.4987

Varjos.4987

Found this from some forum and it worked for me: "find your Gw2.exe file, right click it and select “Properties.” Then go to the compatibility and switch it to run in Windows XP Service Pack 3 mode".

Posted by: RHX.2974

RHX.2974

I followed all the tips of this topic.
I tried:
re-downloading, deleting the files and installing new, after a computer restart i hoped and hoped, but i always get the same error:

—> Crash <—
File: ..\..\..\Services\LoadHandle\LoadHandle.cpp(144)
Pid: 4132
Cmdline:

RHX

Posted by: RHX.2974

RHX.2974

i have found a way, how it is running. right-click at the .exe , compatibility problems.
then select windows xp service pack 2 and start.

Posted by: RayneSilverthorn.7590

RayneSilverthorn.7590

I know this is an told topic to bump, but I found a solution after having this problem today.

I found the problem, If you go into your folder you will see the corrupted files Just deleted those and started again. Its working now. I should have looked closer earlier and I could have avoided the re install lol. Thank you for the help though.

Aniaden had the right idea. But it isn’t your game folder you need to go into. You need to go to “C:/Users/YourUserName/AppData/Roaming/Guild Wars 2” and delete everything from in there.

The file that was messing it up for me was ‘local.dat’ (or something similar)

Posted by: Santanik.4357

Santanik.4357

I know this is an told topic to bump, but I found a solution after having this problem today.

Aniaden had the right idea. But it isn’t your game folder you need to go into. You need to go to “C:/Users/YourUserName/AppData/Roaming/Guild Wars 2” and delete everything from in there.

in my case, deleting everything in that folder did not help. (tried to delete them and run the game)
instead, I deleted everything and run the -repair shortcut and so far, so good. started downloading and managed to log in to the news page of the client. I will update as soon as i know that the game is running fine again

edit: the game is fully working again!

(edited by Santanik.4357)

Posted by: Banquetto.9521

Banquetto.9521

Bumping this old topic again because I just had the exact same issue and RayneSilverthorn’s advice sorted it out perfectly.

Word of warning: this will wipe your saved username & password so make sure you remember it, if you saved it in the GW2 client a couple of years ago and promptly forgot it, lol.

Posted by: TakaSasuke.7413

TakaSasuke.7413

Bumping this old topic again because I just had the exact same issue and RayneSilverthorn’s advice sorted it out perfectly.

Word of warning: this will wipe your saved username & password so make sure you remember it, if you saved it in the GW2 client a couple of years ago and promptly forgot it, lol.

I did this, and found alot of corrupt files, deleted them, but still same problem. Gets to 3mb and stops downloading/crashes