Just want to clarify a ban

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: iMattster.3026

iMattster.3026

Hi,
I was banned for inappropriate language for 72 hours, and in no way am I going to deny what I did. However, in Australia (where I live, and purchased the game) the game is rated M with “Online variable” which in Australia includes language, violence and any other themes. In game, there is a profanity filter which blocks out any swear word or any word that is inappropriate.
I would just like clarification as to what dictates as inappropriate language when such a filter exists, because a 72 hour ban (3 days) is quite lengthy for a slip of the tongue (in this case, fingertips).

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Check the docs in the “Legal Documents” link at the bottom of the page.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: ShiningSquirrel.3751

ShiningSquirrel.3751

As has been said many times, the filter is not a license to swear or use inappropriate language. As far as in game behavior is concerned, you should pretend the filter does not exist as it has no bearing on what players say in game. It is simply there for players who wish to block language.
As to what is considered inappropriate language, if you would not say it to your grandmother or daughter, don’t say it in game.

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

The Name and Word filter is put in place and upheld by our community and our company as a means for players to try to protect themselves from offensive language. It’s existence, for those who do not observe our Rules of Conduct or our User Agreement, is not a line of defense to protect against administrative action taken on the account of the person who is in breach of these binding rules or agreements.

As I have said many hundreds of times on these forums, as the official position of ArenaNet: The Word and Name Filter is not a license to swear. Let’s put it this way: You may have guarantees that protect your freedom of speech as afforded by your national government. That guarantee does not give you the right to yell “fire” in a crowded theatre, or to verbally abuse a person in a public setting. In our game, the existence of a filter does not give you license to use offensive, racist, sexually explicit, or verbally abusive language in our game.

I am glad that you have “owned up” to your indiscretion. Few do, and I admire your honesty. I hope you will, in turn, understand our position, which we adopt and enforce in service to our community as a whole and to every player within it.

For further information, please see our Rules of Conduct, Naming Policy, and User Agreement on this link: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/legal/

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

(edited by Gaile Gray.6029)