Lag Spikes / Increased Ping After the Patch

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: StickerHappy.8052

StickerHappy.8052

As the title says, ever since this patch hit (the recent one), I have been lagging in pvp. Its very evident in maps like EBG or Spirit Watch.

Anyone having this problem?

Champion Illusionist Champion Hunter Champion Phantom Champion Magus

Posted by: Justfor.6018

Justfor.6018

Same here.

I could barely finish the dailies and just logged out – it’s unplayable for me.

Posted by: Noodica.5428

Noodica.5428

+1 but everywhere in the game.

Midnight Mafia [MM]

Posted by: Jin Vaegol.7603

Jin Vaegol.7603

same issue since last patch :/

Posted by: gOosie.5316

gOosie.5316

Same here. playing on EU servers and have average 2500 ping with random spikes to 5000 since patch 2days ago.

Posted by: hamoo.6950

hamoo.6950

same here the game is unplayable

Posted by: mmdaz.6280

mmdaz.6280

Same for me has started today.

Posted by: rcbc.5439

rcbc.5439

Same has happened to me since patch i believe that it may have something to do with the server crashes out of interest how many people play on EU or live in EU and play on NA. the worst ping i had was 3681 normally i am between 50 -100

Posted by: rcbc.5439

rcbc.5439

Update another thread with same problem
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/support/Massive-lag-spikes-since-patch/first#post6684058

can we please get someone to look into this before the beta starts as many of us will probably miss out if this goes unresolved

Posted by: gOosie.5316

gOosie.5316

Ok so I repaired my Launcher yesterday and the issues have gone, played the whole day and my ping is back to normal. Try that, maybe it will help you

Posted by: Wapiti.8431

Wapiti.8431

Repairing the Launcher fixed the issue for me as well. Thanks for suggesting it gOosie.

Edit: The problem came back after a few hours. Game is currently unplayable.

(edited by Wapiti.8431)

Posted by: zeromaniac.4329

zeromaniac.4329

Constant lag spikes for about a month now.

Posted by: SwanDive.8651

SwanDive.8651

Been having the same issue, some days it’s good others it’s horrendous. I can stream 1080p60 videos on YouTube yet I cannot get a decent connection to Guild Wars 2? It has become so bad that I just give up and don’t log in for many days at a time. World v. World has been the worst having latency issues and player characters and skills not loading for 10 seconds once I get into combat. Makes that game mode unplayable, which is probably the only reason why I play this game currently. It’s sad to see this game be so buggy because I like it a lot. Spent the last five years playing this game and I hope to continue but at this pace, I might not last another month.

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

Constant lag spikes for about a month now.

Been having 2k lag spikes for months! Virtually unplayable…For the longest time I thought it was my connection.

Only hint I can come up is, using the “-diag” tool in the Target Launcher, when it runs all tests passes but when viewing the log file there’s a lot of “Connection Time Out” errors…

“-repair” tool is just a temporary fix for me. After a few, it goes back to huge lag spikes.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

Posted by: Kerberos.7385

Kerberos.7385

Maybe your ISP did block or priories something?

-clientport 80

Instructs the client to connect to the game servers over port 80 (HTTP) instead of 6112 (commonly used for games).

Some ISPs may prioritize traffic at certain times, and some networks may block port 6112. This may be useful to avoid such scenarios.
        Some ISPs, networks, and other forms of MITM attacks may modify traffic on port 80 which will lead to issues with the GW2 client if this option is used.

You can try another port as well e.g. 443 (https)

You can have a look at the command line tools yourself. maybe you will find something usefully

Did you all try the GW2 diag tool?
Maybe this will give you some more information.

-diag

Instead of launching the game, this command creates a detailed diagnostic file that contains diagnostic data that can be used for troubleshooting. The file, NetworkDiag.log, will be located in your game directory or "Documents\Guild Wars . If you want to use this feature, be sure to create a separate shortcut for it.

At my site it works well. From time to time it loads character models really slow. This is since the last patch at my place. But after loading them its all fine.
But I haven’t played much WvW the last days because I want to finish my story part ^^

Posted by: Carter Kane.5489

Carter Kane.5489

came back to game around 5 days or so ago.

ive played many other mmos, i am located on the east coast usa. and even when playing on west coast servers in games, the highest ping ive ever had was never higher than 40.

i noticed when i was in my guild wars settings that i am getting 80-100+ ping in this game. which is double or higher than any other mmo i have ever played.

is this the norm? or has this just started. like i said i returned to game 5 days ago or so after hearing about the xpack that is coming soon.

Posted by: Zoria.1392

Zoria.1392

Having the same exact issues. I can’t see how the patches would be releated but it definitely gets worse after every one. Had to drop from raid last night and exit game because it was unplayable between 8pm-10pm EST

Posted by: Omcrazy.4756

Omcrazy.4756

Been getting almost constant lag spikes since the patch about a week ago. Ping anywhere from 250 up to 900 off and on throughout the night. I set my FPS to max at 60 thinking that may be the problem and it did seem to solve it for a night or two. But seems to have been coincidence because its been pretty bad for the last few nights.

GW2 is the only place I am spiking. Pinged google and stayed constantly in the lower 20s. Checked my ping in rocket league and diablo 3, all stable and low. If it were my side I would see the spikes in something other than GW2.

Honestly, this is unplayable which sucks because I was really looking forward to PoF. Glad I didn’t prepurchase because there is not chance I can play with this for any length of time.

EDIT: OK. Anyone having this lag spike issue needs to check their firewall and make sure its allowing the GW2 client. For some reason it wasn’t automatically included in the list of apps allowed.

Windows Defender (windows 10) – Open Windows Defender and click Firewall & Network Protection. Click Allow an app through firewall. Click Change settings and then Allow another app. Browse to the Guild Wars 2 folder and select Gw2-64 or whatever your GW2 client is named. I checked both private and public.

Did this tonight and played an entire spvp map without a single spike. I’ll follow up on this post if it starts happening again in the next few days.

(edited by Omcrazy.4756)

Posted by: Exedore.6320

Exedore.6320

I’ve had periods where I get a really choppy connection. Lots of half-second lag and occasional spikes of a few seconds.

Whenever I join a map, I do /ip and it seems that it’s only a certain set of servers where I lag. For example, 64.25.33.40 is fine for me, but 64.25.33.82 was horribly laggy tonight.

Kirrena Rosenkreutz

Saiyan.1704

I’ve had periods where I get a really choppy connection. Lots of half-second lag and occasional spikes of a few seconds.

Whenever I join a map, I do /ip and it seems that it’s only a certain set of servers where I lag. For example, 64.25.33.40 is fine for me, but 64.25.33.82 was horribly laggy tonight.

Server overload maybe? But this doesn’t explain how some people are uneffected while others receive spikes as if it was a satellite connection.

My real time ping would say 19 while my average would be something like 79… It makes no sense (fiber optics connection.) This is the only game I lag and lose packets in.

Windows Defender (windows 10) – Open Windows Defender and click Firewall & Network Protection. Click Allow an app through firewall. Click Change settings and then Allow another app. Browse to the Guild Wars 2 folder and select Gw2-64 or whatever your GW2 client is named. I checked both private and public.

Did this tonight and played an entire spvp map without a single spike. I’ll follow up on this post if it starts happening again in the next few days.

Windows Defender for me already lists Guild Wars 2 as a green check mark. Are you saying there’s something else that we need to manually add?

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

Omcrazy.4756

Windows Defender for me already lists Guild Wars 2 as a green check mark. Are you saying there’s something else that we need to manually add?

If it shows in your allowed list then I would have to assume it is something else. Mine literally wasn’t showing in the list of allowed apps. But my windows defender must display differently than yours because I get no green check marks. Just a list of apps with an optional box next to them you can check and then two more on the other side for Private and Public (that I checked).

I assume you have tested the ping outside of GW2? My go-to is usually to open the command prompt and type “ping www.google.com -t” (without the quotation marks) and then I see if I end up with packet loss or latency spikes. If you see drops while pinging google then its likely your side. Refresh signal from the ISP might do the trick in that case.

Your server overload comment is interesting. I never thought about the possibility of one instance or another having a higher latency. Will have to keep an eye on that.

Also, for what its worth I am usually sitting in the 20ms range in other games. GW2 is always in the 50s or 60s (also fiber connection).

On another note. Not sure if it would cause lag or not but my CPU was hitting upwards of 90% utilization while running GW2, which was bizarre. I noticed I was often running an FPS of over 100. Setting the FPS cap to 60 has helped keep the CPU utilization lower.

Posted by: risingeagle.7813

risingeagle.7813

I assume you have tested the ping outside of GW2? My go-to is usually to open the command prompt and type “ping www.google.com -t” (without the quotation marks) and then I see if I end up with packet loss or latency spikes. If you see drops while pinging google then its likely your side. Refresh signal from the ISP might do the trick in that case.

It’s never our ISP’s – it’s always on A-net/NCSoft side – I’ve been following the lag/latency spike threads since I started playing, there is definitely something wrong on the A-net/NCSoft side. GW2 is the only game that both shreds CPUs/GPUs to pieces, AND continues to run like absolute garbage on even high-end rigs that play every other game on high/max settings just fine:

Reply from 2607:f8b0:4002:811::200e: time=29ms
Reply from 2607:f8b0:4002:811::200e: time=28ms
Reply from 2607:f8b0:4002:811::200e: time=27ms
Reply from 2607:f8b0:4002:811::200e: time=32ms
Reply from 2607:f8b0:4002:811::200e: time=32ms

Ping statistics for 2607:f8b0:4002:811::200e:
Packets: Sent = 22, Received = 22, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 27ms, Maximum = 32ms, Average = 27ms

Posted by: meerkat.7536

meerkat.7536

Having this problem as well. The high ping/lag strikes like clockwork in the evenings at 7pm and goes on. Makes the game unplayable. Sucks since the evenings are when I get to play mostly. I now just end up logging out and doing something else. I’m bummed because the elite spec demo is fast approaching and this issue is still happening.

Posted by: Kyerra.3690

Kyerra.3690

I have been getting this as well, generally sometime after reset my ping begins to jump sporadically and continues on into the night. If it helps I am on Atnt Uverse fiber. There was a reddit post about people having similar problems as well. https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/6u1qe3/latency_spikes_since_last_88_patch/

Posted by: Animok.2789

Animok.2789

I’ve been having lag issues for about a month as well. Have a ticket in with arenanet I’ve not heard anything on.

Tried repair, firewall stuff, having ATT out to check connection, etc.

Based on a suggestion on reddit I tried a VPN connection tonight to avoid ATT’s pathing. On a guild TD run a few of my guildmates who have been having issues as well had the same lag spikes to 1k plus like usual and I never went above 70.

Only tried it one night but looking promising.

I think that if my modem allowed me to change DNS servers that might fix as well but I don’t have a spare router to test that theory.

In short, I think the the pipeline from some users to anet is hosed. If you can bypass by vpn or other means I think it might be the solution.

Going to test again tomorrow.

Omcrazy.4756

My modem doesn’t allow me to change my DNS servers but my PC does. Did not solve the problem.

I ended up getting a VPN (PIA) and testing that. Base ping went up (average 55 before now average 75) but the spiking has gone away.

Seems like ATT was sending me on a weird journey during prime hours (for my area) because the tracert seemed longer in the evening than during the day. VPN added a hop or two but thanks to some kind of tunnel actually cut down more so the total hops were less with the VPN.

Posted by: Dahir.4158

Dahir.4158

Been happening to me as well as soon as I log in or begin fighting shortly after that. It’s getting ridiculous now. Can’t do anything without disconnecting or have insane lag spikes.

Broski

Posted by: CocoHugo.1706

CocoHugo.1706

I thought it was just me! Shocker! Couldn’t play it so I’m just waiting til it gets back to ok mode. Started after that elite specs demo update. I see it’s still happening.

Posted by: Xbon.9086

Xbon.9086

I am having constant ping spikes while playing, to 300 and it’s really making positioning/etc hard, nothing else is affected

Exedore.6320

Definitely seems like an AT&T issue. What’s weird is that it’s only to some of ANet’s servers; others don’t spike at all.

I did an ipconfig /flushdns and it seemed to have cleared up my issues. Need to play a little more first, though.

EDIT: Nope, didn’t work.

Kirrena Rosenkreutz

(edited by Exedore.6320)

Xbon.9086

Definitely seems like an AT&T issue. What’s weird is that it’s only to some of ANet’s servers; others don’t spike at all.

I did an ipconfig /flushdns and it seemed to have cleared up my issues. Need to play a little more first, though.

i will say that I’m also on at&t… hope it gets resolved soon, spiking to 300 every combat is no fun.

Posted by: risingeagle.7813

risingeagle.7813

i will say that I’m also on at&t… hope it gets resolved soon, spiking to 300 every combat is no fun.

Also getting crappy lag for the past 1+ months now, sadly also moved to AT&T about 2 weeks ago, this is what I have to look forward to? BLEH!

Posted by: Despond.2174

Despond.2174

This is so frustrating, where there DDOS attacks? Ever since the last few patches, my MS in events/pvp just sky rocket. Just then with Teq 3 people from Australia jsut spiked to 1.5kms, and we kept getting d/c. I noticed spiking to 800-1kms in SPVP too. At first I thought maybe it was my ISP but it’s happening from other ones as well.

I’ve never had this many connection problem with GW2, normally it’s always a smooth 240-280ms no matter where I am.

I waited 30min to do Teq, but I had to close the game off, it hit 3k ms, unplayable. I tested another game, pings were fine, internet is fine, so it’s 100% an issue with just GW2 atm. Any word on this? The xpac is close as well, I hope it’s resolved soon.

Posted by: Wapiti.8431

Wapiti.8431

Soo… since friday, I was able to play without any lags or disconnects but it all came back today. I did not change anything.

Posted by: steve.2945

steve.2945

I believe its on gw2 side. Around reset kept getting firewall error popups while in game, then my character kept teleporting, and doing actions that I did 40 or so seconds ago.

Proud TTS member

Posted by: psy.5437

psy.5437

I would like to add to this as well, normally I ping around 200 through to 250, recently however the ping spikes to 1000+ making the game unplayable.

I suspect the issue is in the data center gw2 is hosted in as I believe they share it with secretworld legends and the ping in SWL has also gone to hell.

No other on line games I play are affected (BDO, B.Net).

(edited by psy.5437)

Xbon.9086

yeeep, nothing else is effected, and this is still going on… hopefully it can get remedied

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

This just started happening to me this evening too. Ping will regularly rocket up into the thousands (my record was 3642!), then sort of return to normal (around 200 – 250), then rocket up again. None of my other internet-using programs are experiencing any issues, so the fault must lie somewhere with GW2’s servers. I suspect that it is indeed linked to the faulty datacenters that have been causing so much grief lately. Maybe ANet should look at finding a new provider.

Posted by: Wiara.4236

Wiara.4236

Still persisting massive lag spikes, rubberbanding and constant dc’s this has been going on for over a week. Any instance is unplayable right now because i dc and get booted. Please fix this Anet or at least respond to us that your doing something….

I have disconnected more times in the last week than I have in the last 5 years put together.

Edit: Also my i5-6300HQ CPU load is now up from 45% before patches to a constant 74%. What have you done?

EU Gandara

(edited by Wiara.4236)

Posted by: Lyrebon.9715

Lyrebon.9715

Glad to see it’s not just me. Running Pingplotter while playing, the issue seems to be with that Frankfurt data centre that had problems a week ago.

I wish their error messages were a little more honest too.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Been having more issues this morning too. At first things were going well, but then the lag spikes followed by “We cannot connect to the login server” disconnects resumed. At one point even the forums wouldn’t load for me (Reddit had no issues), so that more or less confirms that it is something to do on ANet’s side.

NA Tarnished Coast, but playing from SEA.

(edited by Zaxares.5419)

Posted by: Deepcuts.9740

Deepcuts.9740

I wonder where are the people constantly telling folks to run pingplotter now (because surely, there is no possible way it’s anet’s servers to blame)

Posted by: DemonSeed.3528

DemonSeed.3528

I wonder where are the people constantly telling folks to run pingplotter now (because surely, there is no possible way it’s anet’s servers to blame)

Yep, especially not appearing since it was confirmed that the servers were being ddos’ed amongst other things. Usually it’s always “it’s not a problem with anet servers”. Haven’t seen them say anything about it for a while now haha.

Saiyan.1704

Your server overload comment is interesting. I never thought about the possibility of one instance or another having a higher latency. Will have to keep an eye on that.

Also, for what its worth I am usually sitting in the 20ms range in other games. GW2 is always in the 50s or 60s (also fiber connection).

On another note. Not sure if it would cause lag or not but my CPU was hitting upwards of 90% utilization while running GW2, which was bizarre. I noticed I was often running an FPS of over 100. Setting the FPS cap to 60 has helped keep the CPU utilization lower.

Without any other application usilizing the network on my desktop, I get around 800megs download at a ping of 1ms to 3ms average. Some one in my house streams 24/7 while others play their games but can still hit these speeds

When i’m the only device hooked up to my modem, GW2 still craps out on me so you can rule out my other devices causing an issue. All of my other games are like butter, it just runs super crisp on my 1080GPU & 1440res monitor.

My CPU on GW2 can hit 90% in pvp but that’s usually the norm for a game that demands more CPU time than GPU (cause it’s an older game). Actually… i’m going to see if my CPU % raises when I receive lag spikes in the game. Maybe there’s a memory leak some where or something….

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

StickerHappy.8052

Actually I found a quick fix although this is specific to the one I am running.

If anyone of you have there ISP as ATNT, Try resetting the modem, That fixed the problem for me, although it still happens once in a while.

Just curious, do this issue happens mostly to ATNT users?

PS: I live in California. I don’t know if that is a factor.

Exedore.6320

AT&T u-Verse here. Already reset it multiple times. Still have issues.

Kirrena Rosenkreutz

Saiyan.1704

AT&T ISP here, i’m also a prem technician if that matters.

Still doesn’t make sense how GW2 can be the only game that has ping issues. I have Opened all of my ports in my modem, disabled all firewalls on my computer, factory reset the RG just in case there was a bad setting, restarted my ONT…

In my experience, if it’s only 1 item that is effecting, odds are there’s a problem with that item. This item is only Guild Wars 2.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

Posted by: Wyndsong.9087

Wyndsong.9087

I don’t think it’s AT&T specific. I’ve been having this problem for over a week. I had Comcast Internet to start with. I literally just switched to AT&T today (because I’m so tired of Comcast, though that’s another issue entirely). It’s still happening with AT&T just the same as it did with Comcast. I tried adding to my firewall, as the GW2 client wasn’t showing for me, ran a repair. Still not working. Also getting disconnects, mostly in instances during cut scenes. This is extremely frustrating.

StickerHappy.8052

AT&T ISP here, i’m also a prem technician if that matters.

Still doesn’t make sense how GW2 can be the only game that has ping issues. I have Opened all of my ports in my modem, disabled all firewalls on my computer, factory reset the RG just in case there was a bad setting, restarted my ONT…

In my experience, if it’s only 1 item that is effecting, odds are there’s a problem with that item. This item is only Guild Wars 2.

Same here.

Ookla and other sites give me good ping. It only spikes when in Gw2.

StickerHappy.8052

I don’t think it’s AT&T specific. I’ve been having this problem for over a week. I had Comcast Internet to start with. I literally just switched to AT&T today (because I’m so tired of Comcast, though that’s another issue entirely). It’s still happening with AT&T just the same as it did with Comcast. I tried adding to my firewall, as the GW2 client wasn’t showing for me, ran a repair. Still not working. Also getting disconnects, mostly in instances during cut scenes. This is extremely frustrating.

Where do you live? It is prolly geographic, a west coast thing.