Latencies when playing from Asia

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: nachtraum.1346

nachtraum.1346

I recently moved from Germany to Thailand. Altough my Internet access now is generally good, I perceive high latencies with GW2 when playing on my european server, around 300ms. Does somebody has experience with playing from Asia on a US server? Do you know what latencies can be expected? I would not like to transfer to and back from a US server, if there will not be a significant improvement.

Thank you,
Oliver

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

You can use a speedtest website and select the Austin, TX, USA server to test the approximate speed of your connection to the US servers.

nachtraum.1346

Thank you, good idea. Can you provide me with an IP address of that Austin server?

Posted by: PCanineBrigade.4916

PCanineBrigade.4916

Yes, there will always be latency issues in every game that does not have the server at least in South East Asia. Because Thailand internet.
If it makes you feel better, you might get 5-15 better ms in EU than NA. I have not been in GW2 EU servers myself, but that’s how it was when I played WoW.
You should try to get used to it. Generally, you have to anticipate when an attack is coming and dodge 0.5-1sec before it comes. You won’t have evade frames right away when you start dodging, but you will still have around 1 second window of evade after you finish your dodge.
Source: I live in Thailand and play online games.

Posted by: Jzaku.9765

Jzaku.9765

I get around 400ms ping playing from Singapore. It’s awful for pvp but I deal. In pve I generally can dodge everything important though.

PCanineBrigade.4916

I get around 400ms ping playing from Singapore. It’s awful for pvp but I deal. In pve I generally can dodge everything important though.

400!? I thought other SEAmates had better internet, guess I was wrong. I feel you.

nachtraum.1346

Thank you for the help. I am not that good at anticipating, and I would prefer playing other games with Asian servers than living with such a disadvantage.

Posted by: Baine.9650

Baine.9650

Lol, same problem since gw1. I don’t think they really care about us enough to have SEA servers, we aren’t that many anyhow.

PCanineBrigade.4916

GW1 was worse, though. I would rubberband back and forth then get bodyblocked by mobs and die.
Though nachtraum, try and see if you can handle it first. It’s just I don’t think there are many asia server buy-to-play MMO with no P2W like GW2. We don’t want to destroy our wallets over new BIS items now, do we?

nachtraum.1346

Yes, good advise. But I am not restricted to MMOs. I can play LoL, Battlefield, Starcraft, etc., etc., very well in SEA.

Posted by: Dragonax.6487

Dragonax.6487

Im in Oceania and it was 300-400 most of the time, Anet should consider an English speaking server for SE Asia and Oceania.

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Ask for an English server on the Chinese sector that is opening up now.