MAC sierra compatibility

MAC sierra compatibility

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: sethb.8215

sethb.8215

has any one updated to sierra yet and tried it with gw2? just want to see how it runs before i update and find out the hard way that gw is no longer compatible. thanks!

MAC sierra compatibility

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

I just bought a new Macbook Pro Retina to replace my old one and updated it to Sierra. GW2 runs on it.

The Burninator

MAC sierra compatibility

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

I’m on an old Mid-2010 iMac upgraded with Sierra and GW2 still runs.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

MAC sierra compatibility

Posted by: sachimokins.7180

sachimokins.7180

I recently upgraded my iMac to Sierra. The first start up of GW2 lead to a kernel panic (probably from having quite a few things open), but the second start up was fine. The only issue I have is incredibly long load times.

MAC sierra compatibility

Posted by: Talek.6795

Talek.6795

can’t play pvp games properly, my MBP (late 2013) shuts down all the time

Talék

MAC sierra compatibility

Talek.6795

solved by the complete deleting of gw2 folder from the application support root, the game plays even faster now

Talék

MAC sierra compatibility

Posted by: Rhino.7960

Rhino.7960

I updated to Sierra yesterday and I haven’t been able to open Guild Wars 2 since. Anyone have a fix for this?

MAC sierra compatibility

Posted by: lead.7543

lead.7543

the fix above does not work actually.

MAC sierra compatibility

Posted by: Doryx.9182

Doryx.9182

Same problem here, tens of kernel panics (one in the launcher too!!) since the Sierra update.
I have contacted the support and they have replied that
The Guild Wars Mac client is not yet compatible with the Sierra operating system. At this time I am not aware of when an update to the client will occur, and you will again be able to player the game on Sierra.
I don’t think that we can fix this ourself. I used a lot of games in these Wine wrappers, and when this happens, the developers need to patch the wrapper with new configs or libraries.

MAC sierra compatibility

Talek.6795

hopefully Anet will ship the native client soon

Talék

MAC sierra compatibility

Doryx.9182

I don’t know. How much time from their announce? A year?
They have stopped responding to my emails when I asked for more communication with Mac player base. Right now I feel robbed. The requirements say OS X 10.8 OR LATER, I paid this game just some weeks ago, but seems that there is no intention to patch this problem from arena.net.
I would be totally ok if they would say “We are aware of the problem and we are fixing it, but we need a month or so”. But at the moment we paid something that we don’t know when it will work in the future

MAC sierra compatibility

Posted by: Darksun.9230

Darksun.9230

I am running on a 27" iMac 3.gGhz i7 and I am getting lots of kernal panics too. I have tried complete reinstall of the game, reinstall of Sierra with no luck. I really don’t want to have start using bootcamp just for this game.

I too would like an update on the status of this bug.

MAC sierra compatibility

Posted by: benn.7214

benn.7214

Can confirm. Running guild wars on mac OS Sierra on my late 2014 Retina iMac crashes the entire computer.

Game is unplayable for me right now

MAC sierra compatibility

Talek.6795

Guys, i have done the safe mod loading once and after it there are no crashes anymore finally try it and let me know if it works for you

Talék

MAC sierra compatibility

Posted by: breezyr.5427

breezyr.5427

Late 2013 Macbook Pro Retina with Sierra. Trying to play PvP and the machine kernel panics and reboots. So far – I have three desertions because of the crashes.

MAC sierra compatibility

Posted by: Qida.5648

Qida.5648

tried Sierra.

Works without much issues, no panics nor reboots, but sometimes crashes.

rMacBook Pro 13’ early 2015.

MAC sierra compatibility

Doryx.9182

For how much time? Because sometime happens after 2 hours of gameplay.
To the people that have no problems: Can you tell us how much Vram, ram, and gpu brand do you have? This could help the others at identify the problem

MAC sierra compatibility

Doryx.9182

Guys, i have done the safe mod loading once and after it there are no crashes anymore finally try it and let me know if it works for you

I have just tried this. I pressed the Play button in the character selection and after 5 seconds the whole Mac crashed.

MAC sierra compatibility

Posted by: Monica.9701

Monica.9701

I have a late 2013 Macbook Pro and I keep having random Kernel Panics since I updated to Sierra. It happens at totally random times.

MAC sierra compatibility

Posted by: Qida.5648

Qida.5648

For how much time? Because sometime happens after 2 hours of gameplay.
To the people that have no problems: Can you tell us how much Vram, ram, and gpu brand do you have? This could help the others at identify the problem

3.1 Ghz Core i7
16 GB ram
Iris Graphics 6100 / 1536 MB (Integrated GPU)

Upgrade to Sierra, works without tweaking anything since El Capitan. App crashed once or twice weeks ago when opening the trading post tab. But nth serious like Kernel panics or OS reboots.

But i do not currently own HoT. I only intent on getting it after native app launch. Hope that helps.

MAC sierra compatibility

Doryx.9182

3.1 Ghz Core i7
16 GB ram
Iris Graphics 6100 / 1536 MB (Integrated GPU)

I have:
3.2ghz i5
8 Gb ram
AMD HD 6750m with 512mb vram

Considering that the kernel panics are all in the virtual memory management “vm_map_delete: mismatched entry @ vm_map.c:6960”, maybe the problem is mitigated with a large amount of memory (ram or vram? both?).
From my point of view, another confirmation that they have to patch this…

MAC sierra compatibility

Posted by: HippieJoel.9537

HippieJoel.9537

Considering that the kernel panics are all in the virtual memory management “vm_map_delete: mismatched entry @ vm_map.c:6960”, maybe the problem is mitigated with a large amount of memory (ram or vram? both?).

Unfortunately this issue isn’t really one that can be fixed prior to the native client being released.

The simple fact is that the current Mac client uses a wrapper – it’s running the Windows version of the game in there, and essentially what it comes down to is that Windows and macOS manage memory in different ways. I’m guessing Apple changed something about how the kernel deals with memory management in Sierra that the Cider wrapper can’t cope with, and you’ve got the game writing memory in places that it shouldn’t, causing the kernel panics.

It might be worth testing the game with Wineskin.

MAC sierra compatibility

Posted by: redjediknight.7804

redjediknight.7804

I’m going to downgrade to El Capitan since Sierra is really wonky. Until Apple or Anet decides to adjust their stuff, I’ll stick to what works.

MAC sierra compatibility

Posted by: Mordeus.1234

Mordeus.1234

I was crashing around 3-4 times an hour whilst running Sierra. So I downgraded to El Capitan and I’ve only crashed twice within a week. Sierra was also crashing other applications, for example whenever I would choose a location to save a Photoshop or Illustrator CS5 file it would crash the application but that has also stopped when I went back to El Capitan. So there really seems to be a compatibility issue regarding Sierra that extends beyond just GW2.

MAC sierra compatibility

Doryx.9182

Unfortunately this issue isn’t really one that can be fixed prior to the native client being released.

The simple fact is that the current Mac client uses a wrapper – it’s running the Windows version of the game in there, and essentially what it comes down to is that Windows and macOS manage memory in different ways. I’m guessing Apple changed something about how the kernel deals with memory management in Sierra that the Cider wrapper can’t cope with, and you’ve got the game writing memory in places that it shouldn’t, causing the kernel panics.

It might be worth testing the game with Wineskin.

I have already tested Wineskin. I have no kernel panics since 2 weeks. So the real problem is in the Cider engine that they do not update since years.
My only problem with Wineskin is that I have lower fps because I don’t know how to properly configure the wrapper.

For anyone who want to try, I have used Wine-staging 1.9.19 as engine with CSMT enabled, -forwardrenderer as EXE flag, and only d3dx9_43 + d3dcompiler_43 as libraries.

You will fix the kernel panics like this, but you will also loss fps, especially when rotating the camera.
If any expert can suggest how to configure the wrapper for better performance, would be very welcome!

MAC sierra compatibility

Posted by: benn.7214

benn.7214

bump
been almost 2 weeks rn. I tried starting up the game a couple of times over the past week, couldn’t get past the character screen now