Mac FPS Stability

Mac FPS Stability

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Zeljius.9703

Zeljius.9703

Any Mac users out there with suggestions to improve the FPS stability on the Mac Client?

I love Guild Wars 2 and i’m currently looking for an effective way to improve my performance while still maintaining Medium settings for Guild Wars 2.

At least until a native client is officially released.

I’m also not interested in using bootcamp and partitioning my drive for Windows.

I’ve attached my specs below.

Attachments:

Mac FPS Stability

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

There’s nothing you can do to improve the FPS or stability other than ensuring no other programs are running while you run GW2, and turning the graphics settings down. Sorry :/

Mac FPS Stability

Posted by: HippieJoel.9537

HippieJoel.9537

The simple fact is that the current Mac client isn’t very efficient – it uses Cider so you’re basically having to translate DirectX API calls to OpenGL in real time, which simply isn’t efficient, especially on such a CPU bound game to begin with.

What I can suggest you try is running the game using Wine with CSMT enabled – I’ve gotten better FPS that way.

You can also try editing the game’s configuration in ~/Library/Application Support/Guild Wars 2 and I believe the file is called config – basically it has a line for the video memory which by default is set to 256M. Try raising this to 1024M or so.

Hope this helps.

Mac FPS Stability

Posted by: Zeljius.9703

Zeljius.9703

The simple fact is that the current Mac client isn’t very efficient – it uses Cider so you’re basically having to translate DirectX API calls to OpenGL in real time, which simply isn’t efficient, especially on such a CPU bound game to begin with.

What I can suggest you try is running the game using Wine with CSMT enabled – I’ve gotten better FPS that way.

You can also try editing the game’s configuration in ~/Library/Application Support/Guild Wars 2 and I believe the file is called config – basically it has a line for the video memory which by default is set to 256M. Try raising this to 1024M or so.

Hope this helps.

Edited the config a while back already. It didn’t improve anything

I have not however tried enabling CSMT. Can that also be found in the config?

Mac FPS Stability

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

Hope this helps.

Edited the config a while back already. It didn’t improve anything

I have not however tried enabling CSMT. Can that also be found in the config?

CSMT only applies if you run the game through Wine, which is another application that is commonly used for running windows applications on OSX. It is a separate thing to the GW2 client that you’d have to download. It may or may not work better. Wine also isn’t the most friendly thing for a newcomer. This is the page on the official Wiki about running the game in Wine, it might help you out if you’re interested in giving that a try: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Guild_Wars_2_on_Wine