Mac Native Client

Mac Native Client

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Zeljius.9703

Zeljius.9703

Any progress on this yet? A ton of Guild Wars 2 players are Mac owners and would really love to see some progression on this.

A few benefits from a native client:

-Better integration with Mac OS X

-Significantly Improved Stability(Less Drops/Spikes in FPS)

-Better FPS

-Mac specific features Implemented

Most modern MMOs that do support Mac run on native clients. MMOs such as: World of Warcraft, The Lord of the Rings Online, Elder Scrolls Online, etc.

The things mentioned above might not be a lot, but they do heavily impact gameplay and having better of any of those would definitely give us Mac players more incentive to play the game.

Which, in a world where Mac gaming is becoming increasingly more common, I think it would be a great idea to make Guild Wars 2 a more Mac friendly game.

Mac Native Client

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

They are testing it/working on it.

When we shipped the game originally we used a third-party shell to ‘host’ the Windows version. While this got the product out the door on Mac there are some things we haven’t been able to do to make it a true Mac application. We are actively experimenting with getting native code that runs directly on the Mac with OpenGL etc. I don’t know how long it will take to make it “real” but I can say that this week we finally got it compiling, linking, and starting up on a Mac before it crashes at the login screen.

But no promises.

We don’t have much to say about it. That’s often why we are silent. I don’t want to give you all hope of something only to take it away if it doesn’t work out.

The Burninator

Mac Native Client

Posted by: HippieJoel.9537

HippieJoel.9537

As the wonderful dragon/man known as Trogdor said, yes they’re working on it, but don’t expect any updates any time soon. ArenaNet don’t usually like to share things until they’re ready.

The fact that they’ve got it compiling and starting up is an indication that they’re making very good progress, but don’t hold your breath. As many developers often say, “it’ll be ready when it’s ready”.

In the meantime the game works reasonably well with Wine, or you can use Windows.

Mac Native Client

Zeljius.9703

They are testing it/working on it.

When we shipped the game originally we used a third-party shell to ‘host’ the Windows version. While this got the product out the door on Mac there are some things we haven’t been able to do to make it a true Mac application. We are actively experimenting with getting native code that runs directly on the Mac with OpenGL etc. I don’t know how long it will take to make it “real” but I can say that this week we finally got it compiling, linking, and starting up on a Mac before it crashes at the login screen.

But no promises.

We don’t have much to say about it. That’s often why we are silent. I don’t want to give you all hope of something only to take it away if it doesn’t work out.

How long ago was that quote? Can you post a link to your source? O:

Im curious.

Mac Native Client

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

The hyperlinks (within the quote) will direct you to the source.

Good luck.

Mac Native Client

Zeljius.9703

Good luck.

Not new to Guild Wars 2(been playing since 2012) but im totally new to the forums.

Thanks!

Mac Native Client

Posted by: HippieJoel.9537

HippieJoel.9537

Good luck.

Not new to Guild Wars 2(been playing since 2012) but im totally new to the forums.

Thanks!

So basically they were working on it as of 22 days ago. Whether or not anything will materialise from this is another matter but it’s certainly promising.

Fingers crossed.