Mandatory refund, account lockout - GW2 core.

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: eamax.1268

eamax.1268

UPDATE:
My account is active, it was all a big misunderstanding.
————
Old:

I am among the first players who are receiving automatic refund for preparation of expansion, according to the news of them is said to have automatic refund everyone who bought between January 23 and June 16, but they do not say that your account is locked and force the player to buy for a higher value, the game with the expansion.

According to GM Seawyrm:
To be able to continue playing you must need to pre-purchase Guild Wars 2 Heart of Thorns expansion and registered the code to your account. Also, your account was not closed, we just disabled the serial key of your account so that you’ll be able to apply the Heart of Thorns expansion code to your account.

I hope this will clear things up.

This will certainly happen with all the new players who buy in this period.

It seems that as players paid very little for the game ($10) should pay the full amount as well as the veterans, it’s like the promotion was temporary and now the time is up.
This is a very wrong action, forcing me to pay more for something I ever bought.

(edited by eamax.1268)

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

Interesting.

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

Huh. I thought they’d said you could have a refund without starting over.

Musta misread that.

Posted by: Mojo Gris Gris.5941

Mojo Gris Gris.5941

If it was indeed automatic, and you don’t intend to pre-purchase, you should file a support ticket to have your account re-enabled. Keep in mind, if you do that, you will most likely still have to pay full price for the expansion, if you decide to buy it. Best of luck, whatever you decide.

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

Lets see what happens with my 29 accounts I bought during that time period. Definitely wont upgrade them to HoT just to get the daily login rewards.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

Wait, so everyone that bought the game between January 23 and June 16 are being forced to buy the expansion if they want to continue playing GW2, including the core game?
That’s some super sketchy stuff if true.

(edited by Fernling.1729)

Posted by: choban.9027

choban.9027

Automatic refund? You didn’t ask for it? That’s really stupid then. I bought my 2nd acc in that period and I do not want any refunds and I never intended to upgrade that acc to HoT anytime soon…

eamax.1268

If it was indeed automatic, and you don’t intend to pre-purchase, you should file a support ticket to have your account re-enabled. Keep in mind, if you do that, you will most likely still have to pay full price for the expansion, if you decide to buy it. Best of luck, whatever you decide.

I’ve done this and the answer I got up there, they will not reactivate my account, they will only reactivate after I buy the game with the expansion.

To be able to continue playing you must need to pre-purchase Guild Wars 2 Heart of Thorns expansion and registered the code to your account. GM Seawyrm

(edited by eamax.1268)

eamax.1268

Automatic refund? You didn’t ask for it? That’s really stupid then. I bought my 2nd acc in that period and I do not want any refunds and I never intended to upgrade that acc to HoT anytime soon…

I didn’t ask for it.

According to GM Seawyrm:

“For all players who purchased the Guild Wars 2 core game from our website and registered it between January 23, 2015 and June 16, 2015 in anticipation of Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns, we will automatically refund what you paid for the core game should you decide to pre-purchase Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns from our website or in-game store…”

Fernling.1729

I didn’t ask for it.

According to GM Seawyrm:

“For all players who purchased the Guild Wars 2 core game from our website and registered it between January 23, 2015 and June 16, 2015 in anticipation of Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns, we will automatically refund what you paid for the core game should you decide to pre-purchase Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns from our website or in-game store…”

Sounds to me like you can keep the core game and continue to play it if you want to, but if you do decide to purchase the expansion they will refund your original purchase price of the core game that was bought in between Jan 23-jun 16. The automatic part only happens if you pre-purchase the expansion.

choban.9027

^^ Exactly! But if that’s not the case and they block all new accounts, many people will be kittened after this, including me…

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I’ve done this and the answer I got up there, they will not reactivate my account, they will only reactivate after I buy the game with the expansion.

To be able to continue playing you must need to pre-purchase Guild Wars 2 Heart of Thorns expansion and registered the code to your account. GM Seawyrm

Um … “you must need to …?” That’s terrible grammar. They usually do better than that. Are you translating? Are you sure you received this from ANet?

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

I’m sorry, but I think there’s some sort of misunderstanding going on here. I’ve seen quite a few people in game mention that they got the automatic refund. None of them had their serials wiped/revoked. You’re the first person I’ve seen say this. Also, the refunds were only given to people who had already pre-ordered HoT. The only other way you can get a refund is if you directly ask for one; and, if you do that without having ordered HoT or another copy of the base game, your serial will indeed be deactivated.

(edited by RoseofGilead.8907)

Posted by: A OK.8276

A OK.8276

Something fishy is happening here. I am awaiting information from the mothers ship.

Posted by: TheBlackLeech.9360

TheBlackLeech.9360

So let me ask you some things…

Did you buy HoT or not?

Did you contact support demanding a refund, on the grounds that you were not going to purchase the expansion + core game until you were refunded the cost of the core game?

If you went to anet…. told them you are not going to buy the expansion + the core game until you are refunded for the core game…..

Then they agreed to refund you for the core game, if you buy the expansion + core package….

Until you make the purchase, you were basically refunded for the game, and no longer have the game until you buy it again.

…and if anet refunded your core game cost without restricting you in some way, who is to say you wouldn’t strike this bargain, and then continue playing the game (that at this point you paid nothing for since you were refunded)

Analogy:
Imagine you bought a pack of pencils without erasers for $3
Then you see that there is a pack of pencils with erasers for $5

You ask for a refund on your pack of pencils without erasers, so you can buy the pack with the erasers instead.

You got your refund, and now you are complaining that you don’t have any pencils.

(edited by TheBlackLeech.9360)

A OK.8276

So let me ask you some things…

Did you buy HoT or not?

Did you contact support demanding a refund, on the grounds that you were not going to purchase the expansion + core game until you were refunded the cost of the core game?

If you went to anet…. told them you are not going to buy the expansion + the core game until you are refunded for the core game…..

then they refund you for the core game, and you don’t uphold your end of the deal and buy the expansion + core package…. you didn’t uphold your end of the bargain.

Until you make the purchase, you were basically refunded for the game, and no longer have the game until you buy it again.

Oh snap. That would be funny

Ardenwolfe.8590

Curiouser and curiouser.

Gone to Reddit.

Fernling.1729

Curiouser and curiouser.

He just cut the “P” off.

Posted by: Mojo Gris Gris.5941

Mojo Gris Gris.5941

I’m sorry, but I think there’s some sort of misunderstanding going on here. I’ve seen quite a few people in game mention that they got the automatic refund. None of them had their serials wiped/revoked. You’re the first person I’ve seen say this. Also, the refunds were only given to people who had already pre-ordered HoT. The only other way you can get a refund is if you directly ask for one; and, if you do that without having ordered HoT or another copy of the base game, your serial will indeed be deactivated.

This is more along the lines of what I expected.

choban.9027

…but if they give you a flexibility to receive the refund first and buy HoT later, that doesn’t sound bad.

Only if he asked for it previously….but it seems he didn’t and now he’s forced to buy HoT to continue using previously bought account. I just hope this was some sort of a mistake…

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I’m not buying it. But if it’s true, you should be in the support section taking it up there. No one else can help you. I bought a $10 account I won’t be upgraded to HoT and I still use it every day.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Just checked my email accounts for my alts and logged in them. I’ve had no such issue and wasn’t automatically forced to purchase the expansion for them.

Posted by: Firebaall.5127

Firebaall.5127

If this is forced…get ready for a poop storm.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

I doubt it’s forced. Either he requested for a refund and forgot or there’s an unintentional error on Anet’s side and some accounts got flagged as if people had wanted an expansion. And you’d think if this was more widespread then you’d be hearing about it from many more people.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I have $10 alt accounts also. None of them have prepurchased and none have received an email saying anything about a refund or being unable to play in the account unless I buy the HoT.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Chris Cleary

Chris Cleary

Game Security Lead

Next

Ok, let me explain exactly what happened

Your account was compromised (you probably got phished)
A Heart of Thorns key was added to the account that was fraudulently purchased
Your account was used for RMT Gold Spam (and banned)
3 days later we processed the automatic refund for the core edition (in this case the HEROIC edition upgrade) because the account was eligable
We removed the Heart of Thorns key from your account because it was fraudulent.

So basically the agent looking at your ticket didn’t actually check the entire situation, and this is a very interesting edgecase which should be accounted for but wasn’t. I’ll be sure to get you settled shortly.

Professor of Bearbow Math @ Tyria State // @Shazbawt // “The Crippler”

(edited by Chris Cleary.8017)

A OK.8276

New it was something extraordinary. With as many people as there is in this community strange outliers are bound to happen.

Posted by: Mitzarin.2963

Mitzarin.2963

O.o people like Chris is why I love Anet.

Posted by: Forgotten Legend.9281

Forgotten Legend.9281

Um … “you must need to …?” That’s terrible grammar. They usually do better than that. Are you translating? Are you sure you received this from ANet?

yeah really… if i remember my old english correctly, the proper grammar would be “…you must needs pre-purchase…” ;-)

– The Baconnaire

eamax.1268

Just to clarify things.. Yes, i didn’t ask for a refund nor bought the expansion. Thats why I decided to start a post here. I am being forced to buy the expansion to keep my account the same as it was b4.
Gonna share here some prints:
1st Email:
http://imgur.com/D54sGGd

2nd Email:
http://imgur.com/9Vns5jA

Anet, that means everybody who bought the game between January 23, 2015 and June 16 will have their accounts blocked and a refund to be forced to buy GW2: HoT?

:(

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Did you miss the Dev response above?

Posted by: simplesimon.2084

simplesimon.2084

Just to clarify things.. Yes, i didn’t ask for a refund nor bought the expansion. Thats why I decided to start a post here. I am being forced to buy the expansion to keep my account the same as it was b4.
1st Email:

2nd Email:

Anet, that means everybody who bought the game between January 23, 2015 and June 16 will have their accounts blocked and a refund to be forced to buy GW2: HoT?

Read Chris’s post. You got hacked. The hacker uped you to HoT with a fake code. Since the code was applied you got the refund. Then they found the added code was and so they removed it. You have to work with support but Chris will take care of you.

(edited by simplesimon.2084)

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

O.o people like Chris is why I love Anet.

Say what you want about ANet, they are extremely good at making sure anyone who wants to play their game, can. Once, you know, they have a legit account.

ANet customer service is top notch for any industry.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

1st Email:

2nd Email:

Did you even bother to read the red post from Chris?

The Burninator

eamax.1268

Chris Cleary, I havent even bought a HoT expansion! I bought the base game when it was in a promo of 10$ days ago, months ago. How can it be? Guess you are wrong about me

RoseofGilead.8907

Chris Cleary, I havent even bought a HoT expansion! I bought the base game when it was in a promo of 10$ days ago, months ago. How can it be? Guess you are wrong about me

Please take your time reading his post so that you actually understand what’s being said. He didn’t say you bought it; he said it was bought on your account, likely by someone who phished (stole) your log-in information.

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

Your account was compromised (you probably got phished)
A Heart of Thorns key was added to the account that was fraudulently purchased

Good grief read. Your account was compromised and everything that happened was due to that.

The Burninator

eamax.1268

:( What should i do now???

Posted by: simplesimon.2084

simplesimon.2084

Continue with support. Also link Chris’s post in the message. More then likely they will let you rebuy a code for the core game for $10 to reactivate the account.

RoseofGilead.8907

Read Chris Cleary’s post again to see what you should do now.

Posted by: Chris Cleary

Previous

Chris Cleary

Game Security Lead

You should wait until CS clears up the issue, you should probably expect a different response from them shortly. Right now we are working through some issues internally, but we should have you back in tonight. That being said, please please please look over this:
https://help.guildwars2.com/entries/66122673-Guild-Wars-2-Account-Security

Professor of Bearbow Math @ Tyria State // @Shazbawt // “The Crippler”

eamax.1268

You should wait until CS clears up the issue, you should probably expect a different response from them shortly. Right now we are working through some issues internally, but we should have you back in tonight. That being said, please please please look over this:
https://help.guildwars2.com/entries/66122673-Guild-Wars-2-Account-Security

I’m sorry for what happened and I thank the agile response.
I have taken all the necessary actions.

Posted by: xXBurningEmberXx.6085

xXBurningEmberXx.6085

I am among the first players who are receiving automatic refund for preparation of expansion, according to the news of them is said to have automatic refund everyone who bought between January 23 and June 16, but they do not say that your account is locked and force the player to buy for a higher value, the game with the expansion.

According to GM Seawyrm:
To be able to continue playing you must need to pre-purchase Guild Wars 2 Heart of Thorns expansion and registered the code to your account. Also, your account was not closed, we just disabled the serial key of your account so that you’ll be able to apply the Heart of Thorns expansion code to your account.

I hope this will clear things up.

This will certainly happen with all the new players who buy in this period.

It seems that as players paid very little for the game ($10) should pay the full amount as well as the veterans, it’s like the promotion was temporary and now the time is up.
This is a very wrong action, forcing me to pay more for something I ever bought.

It makes sense. They don’t have the money so you don’t get the account. I’m sure it’ll be reactivated once HoT comes out. They should inform players of this however.

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

It makes sense. They don’t have the money so you don’t get the account. I’m sure it’ll be reactivated once HoT comes out. They should inform players of this however.

His account was hacked. That’s what this is about.

Ardenwolfe.8590

Makes sense now.

Gone to Reddit.

eamax.1268

Posted by: Spirited Was Eceni.3869

Spirited Was Eceni.3869

I have radically different passwords for every online account and wherever possible, secondary protection. These passwords can be difficult to remember but what’s the alternative? Some horrible hacker ransacking my game account, stealing everything of value and possibly doing all kinds of damage to my guild. They’d have free access to my lovingly created chars too. I’m not sure which would be worse, being hacked or having my home burgled.

Memories here of when Sheldon from The Big Bang show had his WoW account hacked, I don’t think he over reacted at all.

“Judge a person’s character by how they behave when given anonymity.”

Welcome to the Internet, exposing characters since the early 80’s.

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

I hope we have learned to send in a ticket to support instead of rage posting in the forums.

eamax.1268

I hope we have learned to send in a ticket to support instead of rage posting in the forums.

I made this post because of the response that GM gave me through ticket.