Massively high ping

Massively high ping

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: CroBoi.1326

CroBoi.1326

A few weeks ago I started to get extremely high ping, and it’s been going on for quite some time now. It’s getting a bit ridiculous. I’m located in Eastern Ontario, and there are people around my area that have the exact same issue. Is there something going on that is causing the insanely high ping? I’ve had ping issues in the past that eventually go away, but this is lasting way too long.

I’ve restarted my router numerous times, along with my computer.

Massively high ping

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

You can use a program like Pingplotter to find out where the issue lies.

Good luck.

Massively high ping

Posted by: Flatley.1620

Flatley.1620

As IC says, you’ll need to find out where problem lies. As well as what IC said, you could try a quick tracert to Anet to see if any hops are timing out or are very high. Trouble is with this kind of thing is that the issue could be with your IP or at any step all along the way to Anet.

i75820K@4.4ghz Noctua NHU14S GTX980TiSC
SoundblasterZ AsusX99Pro 512GBM2SSD 1TBSSD
3TBHDD 16gbRAM Corsair900D Win10Pro Corsair rmi1000w ethernet 100 down, 6 up

Massively high ping

Posted by: SNCerberus.4986

SNCerberus.4986

I started having the same issue here in NJ. Ran the GW2 diagnostics. Based on the traceroute and pingpath, it looks like there are multiple issues upstream from me. It appears that both ntt.net and qwest.net are having issues. There is high packet loss at those two providers. There also appears to be an NCSoft server suffering from high packet loss. The only way this is going to clear up is if the upstream providers fix the issue.

Massively high ping

Posted by: Aeon.4583

Aeon.4583

Yes, about 4 days. Everyday it’s higher and higher. Yesterday i had big lags, today disconnects.

Massively high ping

Posted by: Magnuzone.8395

Magnuzone.8395

Having some problems too. Never had much lag but now Im getting 3k+ ping every time I launch the game, and after a while it goes down to about 400 and stays there. My normal ping is about 60-70.- Im just gonna try and log once a day til it goes away. Not gonna bother to play at the moment, very annoying.

Massively high ping

Posted by: ezd.6359

ezd.6359

Same. Disconnected 2 times in 10 minutes last ranked match. Massive lags – could not use skills at all.

Saw windows ~5 times during match
https://i.gyazo.com/1244383157799201a33b4fd6f663a66b.jpg

Funny thing is it started to lag when we had 150-200 points, and stopped when enemies had 490.

Just tried to join unranked match to test. Game menu → General Options show ping 49 (average 88). It takes about 10 seconds to show my current PvP statistics on PvP Home screen. It takes ~5 seconds to respond when i try to click on unranked arena queue. I had almost no problems with ping while playing unranked arena.

English is not my native language, sorry :<

Massively high ping

Aeon.4583

After few days of this, i’ve noticed that high ping happens randomly, on different maps. Every map have their own server-thingy, and eventually server changes map. That means those lags are server-based.

Massively high ping

Magnuzone.8395

Still about 3-5k ping every time I log on.

Massively high ping

Posted by: Ellieanna.5027

Ellieanna.5027

Good luck.

Actually, everyone who has only said “Yes, same issue here.” None of you did what IC said. If you actually want to see it get fixed, you have to do some stuff too. If people are on and playing, it’s obviously not a server issue. A server issue wouldn’t affect just a hundred people, EVERYONE would have an issue. That is usually a sign that it’s something between you and Anet. Anet can’t see those issues, nor can they fix those issues. They and their ISP don’t own the pathways from your house to their servers. They just own their end, like your ISP owns your end.

But your ISP has the ability to send a message to those who own the parts in between and let them know there is a problem, so that hopefully they fix it.

I’m a Moose, a ginger moose even.

Massively high ping

Posted by: ezd.6359

ezd.6359

Good luck.

Actually, everyone who has only said “Yes, same issue here.” None of you did what IC said. If you actually want to see it get fixed, you have to do some stuff too. If people are on and playing, it’s obviously not a server issue. A server issue wouldn’t affect just a hundred people, EVERYONE would have an issue. That is usually a sign that it’s something between you and Anet. Anet can’t see those issues, nor can they fix those issues. They and their ISP don’t own the pathways from your house to their servers. They just own their end, like your ISP owns your end.

But your ISP has the ability to send a message to those who own the parts in between and let them know there is a problem, so that hopefully they fix it.

I opened GW2 current connections, saw 2-3 addresses, tried /tracert them, saw nothing special → wrote here. I don’t know which connection i had during that match.

English is not my native language, sorry :<

Massively high ping

Ellieanna.5027

Good luck.

I opened GW2 current connections, saw 2-3 addresses, tried /tracert them, saw nothing special -> wrote here. I don’t know which connection i had during that match.

Then it’s obvious something is going on between you and Anet, and not at Anet. It sucks, but it’s also really hard to figure out where the issue is. I would say about 90% of the people who posted in this thread have an issue outside of Anet/their ISPs control.

Massively high ping

Aeon.4583

If there was a problem with internet provider then all games should lag.
But, from few of my online games, only GW2 is lagging, on random maps, like hell.

Simple example for today. I’ve visited Guild Hall which was same server-ip as yesterday – no lags. Then i went to Home Instance with different ip than yesterday and my Home lagging. Cursed Shore yesterday – no lags, today – lags.

P.s. to be honest those lags remind me of DDos attacks.

(edited by Aeon.4583)

Massively high ping

Magnuzone.8395

Seems to normalize today. Down to 65 , as I should be. Wierd. Still have massive high ping for like 10-15 min after logging on, then it just drop down to normal.

Will have to see how it goes during the weekend and see what is the cause.

If all else fail, can always blame Trump.

Massively high ping

Aeon.4583

Ok guys, here i did trace using WinMRT on one of GW2 servers, which, at that moment, been holding a very laggy(atleast for me) Divinity Reach
http://i.imgur.com/7VKDOV0.png
As far as i can see, there is no problems with route from my provider’s side. But Begining with Telia and NCSoft there are high pocket loss.

Here you can see Cursed Shore ip, which wasn’t lagging for me.
http://i.imgur.com/QROOIpu.png
Pocket loss is minimal and won’t effect any game aspect.

Yesterday Divinity Reach wasn’t lagging at all for me, but today. Well you can see it yourself in trace result.

Arena.net please look into that problem. I can’t blame my provider for anything. Not a single game is lagging, and GW2 is lagging only in specific servers\maps.

Ofc i will send those result to provider aswell

(edited by Aeon.4583)

Massively high ping

Posted by: caveman.5840

caveman.5840

I have been playing on a EU server and live in the NA would changing to a NA server do anything to help with lag ?

Massively high ping

Inculpatus cedo.9234

It should help your ping, as data would travel to Texas, rather than Frankfort, Germany.

Massively high ping

Posted by: Evon Skyfyre.9673

Evon Skyfyre.9673

Ping as high as 800..

Massively high ping

Ellieanna.5027

Ok guys, here i did trace using WinMRT on one of GW2 servers, which, at that moment, been holding a very laggy(atleast for me) Divinity Reach
http://i.imgur.com/7VKDOV0.png
As far as i can see, there is no problems with route from my provider’s side. But Begining with Telia and NCSoft there are high pocket loss.

Here you can see Cursed Shore ip, which wasn’t lagging for me.
http://i.imgur.com/QROOIpu.png
Pocket loss is minimal and won’t effect any game aspect.

Yesterday Divinity Reach wasn’t lagging at all for me, but today. Well you can see it yourself in trace result.

Arena.net please look into that problem. I can’t blame my provider for anything. Not a single game is lagging, and GW2 is lagging only in specific servers\maps.

Ofc i will send those result to provider aswell

Your first image clearly shows where the issue is. And guess what? Anet doesn’t own that node. Node 8 from http://i.imgur.com/7VKDOV0.png shows a 26% packet loss.

Anet can’t fix that. Anet’s ISP can’t fix that. Telia (who owns it and isn’t affiliated with Anet or their ISP) is the owner and needs to fix it. Your ISP has a way to send the information to Telia about that node to let them know there is a problem.

Not quite sure what you want Anet to do. They don’t own the internet. And before you go “Other games work fine”. Well of course they do, they most likely take a different path from your house to those servers. That is how the internet is. And I bet you there are people in those other games with ping issues because a node from their house to those servers are having issues, but they could connect to Anet just fine. The internet is a lot bigger then “Well, if I can do this, everything is fine and it’s the servers”.

Massively high ping

Aeon.4583

Your first image clearly shows where the issue is. And guess what? Anet doesn’t own that node. Node 8 from http://i.imgur.com/7VKDOV0.png shows a 26% packet loss.

Anet can’t fix that. Anet’s ISP can’t fix that. Telia (who owns it and isn’t affiliated with Anet or their ISP) is the owner and needs to fix it. Your ISP has a way to send the information to Telia about that node to let them know there is a problem.

Not quite sure what you want Anet to do. They don’t own the internet. And before you go “Other games work fine”. Well of course they do, they most likely take a different path from your house to those servers. That is how the internet is. And I bet you there are people in those other games with ping issues because a node from their house to those servers are having issues, but they could connect to Anet just fine. The internet is a lot bigger then “Well, if I can do this, everything is fine and it’s the servers”.

I belive you haven’t noticed that same node that is lagging at Divinity Reach is not lagging at Cursed Shores.

Today i’ve noticed a very curious thing. When i am lagging(even with 4k+ ping), everyone around me playing just fine, gathering woods, killing mobs and so. That could be character server’s problem. Something wrong in information exchange between character serever(WvW server) and Megaservers. My Server is Blacktide.

Massively high ping

Ellieanna.5027

I belive you haven’t noticed that same node that is lagging at Divinity Reach is not lagging at Cursed Shores.

Today i’ve noticed a very curious thing. When i am lagging(even with 4k+ ping), everyone around me playing just fine, gathering woods, killing mobs and so. That could be character server’s problem. Something wrong in information exchange between character serever(WvW server) and Megaservers. My Server is Blacktide.

Well, the fact that people around you are fine, actually continues to prove my point. Just because it’s having issues in 1 picture, and not the other doesn’t mean it’s working. It could be that if it gets overloaded the node fails. Still not something Anet can fix. The fact that you can see it’s Telia’s node should really give you the idea it’s not Anet’s product.

But if you want to tell Anet that it’s their fault, please do so. It’s not going to get fixed that way and you will still have issues. Good luck.

Massively high ping

Inculpatus cedo.9234

There are no ‘servers’ anymore in PvE. All servers share the same map(s). It doesn’t matter that your (WvW) server is Blacktide.

Telia, more often than not, is the issue when players check why they are having high ping/disconnections/etc. It is infamous for having issues.

Massively high ping

Aeon.4583

There are 3 servers: Log-In server-Character server-Megaserver. You also can see 3 NCSoft nodes in trace.

If there is a problem with my ISP i should lag and see everyone around me lagging – walking into walls, teleporting, etc + i should suffer from disconnects. Thats not happening.

If there is Log-in server problem i should suffer from disconnects, not happening

If there is some problem between character server(wvw server) and megaserver, i alone should suffer from lags(big delays in gathering, using skills, sending messages), while others from different servers on same map will be fine, thats what i see on random zones.

If there is a problem with megaserver, everyone on map should lag, just like ISP problem. Not happening.

I said all i could about this problem. and will be waiting a solve.

Massively high ping

Ellieanna.5027

There are 3 servers: Log-In server-Character server-Megaserver. You also can see 3 NCSoft nodes in trace.

If there is a problem with my ISP i should lag and see everyone around me lagging – walking into walls, teleporting, etc + i should suffer from disconnects. Thats not happening.

If there is Log-in server problem i should suffer from disconnects, not happening

If there is some problem between character server(wvw server) and megaserver, i alone should suffer from lags(big delays in gathering, using skills, sending messages), while others from different servers on same map will be fine, thats what i see on random zones.

If there is a problem with megaserver, everyone on map should lag, just like ISP problem. Not happening.

I said all i could about this problem. and will be waiting a solve.

Except, that isn’t how the internet works AT ALL.

The internet is a bus. You get on at your house, and get off at your exit stop (Anet’s servers). Along the way, there are other bus stops. People get on and get off that bus since they come from different houses, and are going to different locations.

Sometimes there is traffic at a bus stop that isn’t your house or your destination. We call that Rush hour traffic, or an accident in the real world. Would you blame your work for being late because you hit a bus stop with an issue?

Massively high ping

Posted by: Jysoul Qualik.9284

Jysoul Qualik.9284

Ping is 800 to 1600 (Australia)

No issue with local cable as performance with any other site or online game does not experience latency like GW2.

Massively high ping

Ellieanna.5027

No issue with local cable as performance with any other site or online game does not experience latency like GW2.

Good luck.

Massively high ping

Posted by: Amurond.4590

Amurond.4590

Good luck.

That’s great and all except 99/100 of the time it’s completely out of our control to do anything about it. It’s rarely our ISP, it’s rarely Anet’s servers, it’s some node just before Anet’s servers. This time for me its dallas1 level3 databank or some crap.

From Aus here, had 1.5k ping while raiding last night. It’s ridiculously unstable right now if you’re from my area and with Telstra ISP. Ping is 350 at a minimum during peak times (usually 198 – 220), and it jumping all over the place from anywhere between 350 – 1.5k.

~ The Server I Play On Is Better Than The Server You Play On ~
- Kudzu, Dreamer, Frostfang, Eternity, Flameseeker Prophecies ~
~Nevermore, HOPE, Moot, Incinerator, Meteorlogicus, Howler ~

Massively high ping

Ellieanna.5027

Good luck.

That’s great and all except 99/100 of the time it’s completely out of our control to do anything about it. It’s rarely our ISP, it’s rarely Anet’s servers, it’s some node just before Anet’s servers. This time for me its dallas1 level3 databank or some crap.

From Aus here, had 1.5k ping while raiding last night. It’s ridiculously unstable right now if you’re from my area and with Telstra ISP. Ping is 350 at a minimum during peak times (usually 198 – 220), and it jumping all over the place from anywhere between 350 – 1.5k.

Actually, here is where you are incorrect. Your ISP actually can send a message to the owner of the node that there is an issue. Some of the tier 1 ISP support agents seem to not be aware that the ISPs can send this message. Not quite sure what you want Anet to do. They can’t change how the internet works. The internet is a massive place, sometimes something breaks or can’t handle a heavy load. Anet can’t really do anything about it. They need to see the information from your end, which they can’t do. You giving them a trace route, then they have to give it to their ISP, and then their ISP has to send a message, the node comes back, wants more information, ISP contacts Anet, Anet contacts you. See how that doesn’t work?

Where as you contact your ISP, your ISP sends the message, and if they need more information, they can come back to you. Since it’s coming from your end, it really needs to be on you. Otherwise it’s not going to get fixed. You can ignore it, move on to a different game, and then another game hits that node and same issue happens. So it’s up to you if you want it fixed.

Massively high ping

Posted by: DemonSeed.3528

DemonSeed.3528

They do have an issue on their end.