New 4K monitor can hardly read text on GW2

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: A State of Trance.3675

A State of Trance.3675

So I bought this new Asus PB287Q monitor which has a native res of 3840×2160 and even at ‘large’ I really cannot read the text unless I lean forward and squint.

Is there any chance of GW2 supporting 4K gaming a little bit better?
I also play Asherons call – an mmorpg which came out in 1999 and it has better text support than guild wars, which just seems mad.

Posted by: Loli Ruri.8307

Loli Ruri.8307

Might want to step back to 1440p for this game. Anything greater just causes eye strain. The issue is a longstanding problem, so far not resolved.

Intel Core i7 4790K @4.7 GHz, 32 GB 2133 MHz DDR3.
MSI GTX 1080 Sea Hawk EK X 2xSLI 2025 / 11016 MHz, liquid cooling custom loop.
Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB. HTC Vive.

Posted by: Mokk.2397

Mokk.2397

Standard font size is based on the resolution of most computer screens at the time and during the life time of the game.At the time that GW2 came out the most common resolution for games 16:9 aspect ratio was 1920 x1080 and under.So font size is set for easiest reader at those resolutions.3840×2160 (4k) and 8192×4608 (8k) are relatively new and very few people have those types of screens. Best bet now is set your resolution back to a more common one until the rest of us catch up to you.

Posted by: Ok I Did It.2854

Ok I Did It.2854

Might want to step back to 1440p for this game. Anything greater just causes eye strain. The issue is a longstanding problem, so far not resolved.

You say its not resolved like this is an easy fix for Anet, they would have to do a massive amount of work just to increase the game to 4k, all icons etc would need remade, take that across the entire game, all that work for maybe less than 1-2% of ppl who play at 4k

Your best bet right now is the in an expansion they have looked at 4k scaling, but I wouldn’t hold your breath for anything before that, after all the game is built on an old engine model, that is already 5+ years old, no one heard of 4k back then.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

You say its not resolved like this is an easy fix for Anet, they would have to do a massive amount of work just to increase the game to 4k, all icons etc would need remade, take that across the entire game, all that work for maybe less than 1-2% of ppl who play at 4k

They would simply stretch the icons, which is how it’s already done. If scaling is already done by percentage, they’d simply need to enter a new value. If that was the case however, they probably would have done it already, so it must be hardcoded.

Posted by: moonstarmac.4603

moonstarmac.4603

Sadly everyone who attempts 4k runs across this…I have my system connected to a 43" 4K tv and anything above 1440p is too small to deal with.

Jade Council~ Jade Sea Haven [JADE]
System – Luna One: R-Matrix
https://pcpartpicker.com/b/Ny4qqs

Posted by: TheHeretic.3529

TheHeretic.3529

Are you sure it’s not just your own eyes? I play at 3840×2160 on a 28" and have no problems.

Maybe I’m a thorn in your perfection
A heretic’s voice in your head
A stargazer, releaser

Posted by: Mikikira.1574

Mikikira.1574

Are you sure it’s not just your own eyes? I play at 3840×2160 on a 28" and have no problems.

Same here, but mines a 34", also took to the Windows DPI settings and calibrated my panel. Since Windows and GW2 are both built around 96DPI which was case standard for 1080p to 1440p, my display needed DPI set to 146 in order for things to be proportionately sized to be easily readable, smaller screen, higher resolution, higher DPI, the default 96 just won’t cut it. I run at 146 DPI with interface size at normal and everything is nice clear and crisp.

Xeon E7 8890v4|EVGA GTX 1080 FTW HydroCopper |Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD|Asus PG348Q display

WvW Roamin for days!