Nvidia Gtx295 heat problem

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Krulz.6245

Krulz.6245

Hi, it seems that, if I play at 60 or more frame rate my gpu goes above the 100º and it shuts down.
I usually dont have problems if I limit the frame rate to 30 but if I have it unlimited or at 60 the GPU goes to 100 º really quickly.
How can I fix this besides playing at 30 fps limit, It’s weird to have a good graphic card and play at 30fps.

Thank you!

Krulz – Guardian –
~Piken Square~

Posted by: kirito.4138

kirito.4138

• check for dust on your GPU’s heatsink and fan. See if your fan is actually even working.
  • ensure good case airflow
  • last resort you can re-apply thermal grease on the GPU/Heatsink

100º C is way too high for a videocard.

http://www.twitch.tv/kirito4138
The only exclusive skyhammer stream

(edited by kirito.4138)

Krulz.6245

what do you mean with good case airflow? Also how do I apply new thermal grease, never did that on a GPU

Krulz – Guardian –
~Piken Square~

Posted by: kirito.4138

kirito.4138

Basically, is your case getting air circulation inside and not blocked.
http://www.overclock.net/t/800976/collected-air-cooling-guides

Lots of guide/videos on reapplying thermal grease or compound. Google it. (example)

Basically…

• unscrew the heatsink. pop it off.
  • clean old thermal compound off
  • put about a rice size amount of new thermal compound on the GPU
  • put the heatsink back on.
http://www.twitch.tv/kirito4138
The only exclusive skyhammer stream

(edited by kirito.4138)

Posted by: Nitro.4732

Nitro.4732

Hi Krulz.6245

In stead of running your game at 60FPS limited. Enable Verticle Sync this will cause your game to still run at 60fps as the verticle refresh rate of your monitor is most likely 60Hz, you should notice a drop in GPU usage which will result in the GPU running at a lower temperature.

It is also a good Idea to perhaps check the graphics card itself for excessive dust, dirt or grime to make sure nothing is clogging the fans and that the fans indeed work.

If you are brave enough you could even replace the thermal compound on the card by following online guides (a quick google search resulted in the following link http://nvidiagtx295.blogspot.co.uk/ )

CoolerMaster Masterbox 5 | H110i | AMD Ryzen R7 1800x 4.0GHz | 32GB DDR4
512GB Samsung 950pro | 2TB SATA-3 | AMD Radeon RX 580 8GB

Posted by: SolarNova.1052

SolarNova.1052

ALL graphics cards are designed ot be able ot run at 100% usuage for hours on end without overheating. If your is overheating i means that ether
a) the heatsink/fan is dirty and needs cleaning.
b) your OC’ing it and exceeding what the cooling can handle.
c) have horrible case airflow causing the air around the graphics card to heat up.
d) your fan/heatsink ether isn’t working at all, or isnt running fast enough.

Bassicaly these all indicate a user end issue. Each of these points are easily fixed and dont really requir any explanation.

3930k 4.6ghz | NH-D14 Cooler | P9x79 Pro MB | 16gb 1866mhz G.Skill | 128gb SSD + 2×500gb HDD
EVGA GTX 780 Classified w/ EK block | XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res/Pump | NexXxos Monsta 240 Rad
CM Storm Stryker case | Seasonic 1000W PSU | Asux Xonar D2X & Logitech Z5500 Sound system |

Posted by: Squall Leonhart.2075

Squall Leonhart.2075

I would go with a dust clog in this case.

and unfortunately everything less than a 400 series requires completely taking off the heatsink to access the screws to the shroud.

Krulz.6245

Thank you all, I’ll check this afternoon =)

Krulz – Guardian –
~Piken Square~

Posted by: EoinCuinn.4583

EoinCuinn.4583

How’d you go Krulz?

I have recently had a similar issue with my GTX295, but it wasn’t running Guild Wars, it was running Crysis.

GPU’s can run a lot hotter than CPU’s, and mine routinely sits over 90º without too much issue. nVidia core’s will normally stop themselves when they hit 110º , and can actually get to 120º before they get damaged! However, there is no way I would want mine to get to that temperature

Yesterday I bit the bullet, and decided to strip mine and redo all the thermal paste. There’s a few guides online for either the dual or single PCB version (mines the original dual)

It wasn’t that hard, and the results speak for themselves, I’ve dropped 15º off my idle temps, and about 7-8º on full load. The amount of thermal paste that was originally on that card was obscene, there was enough for 5 cards let alone one.

Also, I can’t speak highly enough of the comments made about air flow. About a year ago I completely re-ran every cable in my case, and opened up all the air flow from the front, and it made a massive difference to all the temps in my case

Good luck!

Krulz.6245

Hey, I unplugged the vga, and just clean the wall of dust, and seems working right now, surely Ill open to reapply thermal paste.
But at the moment just cleaning the dust at unlimited FPS I have 75 – 80º max, before the cleaning I was unable to play beyond 30 fps.

Thank you all, I’ll let you know if I reapply the paste soon =)(just a bit scared)

Krulz – Guardian –
~Piken Square~