Ok WTH, Low FPS on beast machine

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: TheOneEpicLegend.9831

TheOneEpicLegend.9831

What is wrong with this game? I have two rx480 red devils in Crossfire, 16gb of ram and a Intel i7 2600k at 4.2Ghz cpu and it runs like garbage. The issue is that it runs like kitten regardless of settings, for example i run it at 1440p with no AA and it runs at about 30 – 40 fps with drops to 25s-28s, then i run it with SMAA high and its the same kitten, then i run it at windowed borderless ( meaning disabled CFX ) and it runs AGAIN the same. SO What The kitten? I have the latest drivers installed ( gpu, etc. ) so it’s not a driver issue.
I run Witcher 3 modded as kitten in terms of graphics and i get 60-50 fps with few drops to 40s at the more demanding areas, AT 2560×1440 with AA on, WITH HAIRWORKS MAX. Every other game ( of the newest high end kitten, e.g. Ryse: Son of Rome, Nier Automata, etc. ) runs at capped 60 max settings, AND HELL the Crysis series runs at even more, especially Crysis 1 at 150 fps max settings, so WTH. I remember when i had my older cards; two 7970s at cfx i had better fps, THOUGH it’s not the new gpus since every other game runs much better. Therefore, i don’t kittening get it, THIS game looks like ASS compared to the others; low textures, low polycount, mediocre to low lighting, average shadows, kittenty physics, etc. , so WtF. And now to the question again; can somebody tell me what the kitten is wrong with this game that it runs at such a low fps, when it should be running at capped 100s-120s based on my rig and on its looks ( technical aspect ) AND how to Fix it, if somebody knows how. Thank you.!

TheOneEpicLegend.9831

Ye…. the kittens is the profanity filter apparently ……. -.-

Posted by: danielrjones.8759

danielrjones.8759

Don’t know if this will help. I’m not one of those tech wizards. Like some here. There was a time on a different PC I was having a similar problem. Found out the game somehow had switched to using the integrated and not the dedicated card. Once I set the the game to auto use the dedicated gpu only it took off. Was able to run it at 100 fps no problem. Before that it was lucky to break 15 fps.

TheOneEpicLegend.9831

Ah, i could check that, though i dont think so, in any case how can i check and do that; changing the game from using integrated to using dedicated. ( Though i dont think so as this is something that happens usually on laptops, but based on my experience on the famous PC Logic ( yeah.. -.- ) it could have switched to the integrated graphics of the mobo ) . So, yeah, how do i do that ( scratches head ) ?

Posted by: danielrjones.8759

danielrjones.8759

Yes it was on a laptop. I don’t know what happened to cause it to change on me. I was thinking when I updated driver somehow it switched to integrated without me even knowing. I only noticed when my fps slowed way down.

The way I changed it was control panel>nvidia>settings. There was a way to make it only use the dedicated card. It worked for me after that.

TheOneEpicLegend.9831

Eh, it uses the dedicated for me but i dont get why i get this low fps…. even with max char limit on medium – low ……..

TheOneEpicLegend.9831

E.g. in “the grove” i get 15 fps … :/

Posted by: MrFayth.3546

MrFayth.3546

Some settings are far more intensive/inefficient, per CPU cycle, than the enhancement of visuals is worth.

i.e. Reflections- Reflections add very little to the scene( I prefer the water without them) imo. Also, they have a huge drawback to the way GW2 builds its world.

Every map(with traversable bodies of water) has a giant, constantly reflecting, body of water under it.

If they want to make a pond or lake, they dip the terrain level below sea level.

So even if you can’t see water, with reflections all the way up, it’s eating your CPU cycles.

i5 4690k @4.1ghz, r7 260x 1180/1680,8Gb G.skill Ripjaw 2133, 120gb ssd Gw2+OS

Posted by: Leamas.5803

Leamas.5803

Is Crossfire turned on? When I first got GW2, I had a 2600k running two GTX 275 cards in SLi and GW2 ran like crap on it. I had to disable SLi and GW2 was much happier.

Posted by: Nitrosharp.1458

Nitrosharp.1458

I’ve been having the same problem since the first week of July. 5-20 FPS in Divinity’s Reach and Lions Arch, about 10 FPS in WvW. Everything is on low, no reflections, shadows, ect. I have a (single) GTX 1080, 6700k and 32GB of ram. Internet connection is 60mbps. First I reinstalled and patched GW2 – didn’t improve anything. So I reformatted my drive, reinstalled windows, patched, drivers, installed GW2, patched. Still getting insanely low FPS numbers. I log in every few days to see if anything’s changed, but still choppy and unplayable.

Posted by: OGDeadHead.8326

OGDeadHead.8326

I’ve experienced really low fps on very few occasions. When it happens however, it feels like it isn’t hardware accelerated at all, but rather running in some strange software emulated 3d mode, and I have no clue at all what might be causing it. Only seen this issue in this game.

Win10 pro | Xeon 5650 @ 4 GHz | R9 280x toxic | 24 Gig Ram | Process Lasso user

Posted by: Leamas.5803

Leamas.5803

I’ve been having the same problem since the first week of July. 5-20 FPS in Divinity’s Reach and Lions Arch, about 10 FPS in WvW. Everything is on low, no reflections, shadows, ect. I have a (single) GTX 1080, 6700k and 32GB of ram. Internet connection is 60mbps. First I reinstalled and patched GW2 – didn’t improve anything. So I reformatted my drive, reinstalled windows, patched, drivers, installed GW2, patched. Still getting insanely low FPS numbers. I log in every few days to see if anything’s changed, but still choppy and unplayable.

Curious!! I have the exact same setup, but 16gb RAM and no issues. Is the whole machine slow at that time or just GW2? Couple things I would try.

• Check the memory using a tool like memtest86.
  • Stress test the video card using something like Furmark or the eVGA tool, if you have an eVGA card, and see what kind of framerates you get there. Or, test the stability of your card with something like MSI Kombustor

You can monitor GPU and general resource usage with something like MSI Afterburner to see if anything looks amiss. Say, if the GPU usage is off the chart, you know something is up.

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

I would definitely try to play another game (or several) first before you reformat drives or going as far as flashing your BIOS.

I’ve done numerous troubleshooting steps on my internet packet loss before realizing it was only when playing GW2. For starters my i5 6600k cpu + 1080GPU was bottlenecking performance in just this game. The game’s spegehtii code takes more from CPU than GPU. Anything that said “Character” in graphical settings, I put on Lowest.

I have reason to believe an Nvidia driver or Windows 10 update did something that effects GW2. I’ve yet to solved my connection issue with the game… but I hear others have the same issues.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

Posted by: abomally.2694

abomally.2694

Try re-seating your graphics card.

Nitrosharp.1458

Try re-seating your graphics card.

I took the card out, made sure it was clean (no dust) and plugged everything back in. Still getting about 15 frames per second in Divinity’s Reach, however, WvW is a bit better, running at 24 FPS right now.

For reference, I’ve been playing ESO at mid settings with 35-50 FPS in towns, and about 25-30 in Cyro pvp (its like GW2’s wvw mode). Also playing Path of Exile with about 60ish FPS on high.

Any way of telling if the card is going bad? I’m not getting artifacting or distortion, no shutdowns or blue screens. Everything seems to be running fine except GW2.

Edit

Ran FurMark v1.19 with a score of 7096 and 118 FPS

Also ran Superpositon benchmark (Score 5911) See attachment

Kombustor score 12736 FPS 212 (is about the same, maybe slightly higher than other 1080 tests on the Kombustor site)

Attachments:

(edited by Nitrosharp.1458)

Posted by: abomally.2694

abomally.2694

Well, you could try setting Guild Wars 2 to “Prefer maximum performance” in the Nvidia control panel. Maybe the card isn’t coming out of low power mode when running GW2.

Also, I see no indication that the card is going bad.

(edited by abomally.2694)

Posted by: RedZebra.2345

RedZebra.2345

If you want to know what’s going wrong you have to measure during play in gw2, ex. gpu-z for gpu’s (first and second tab: first for bus speeds, second for clock settings), any tool for cpu with loads on core’s and temp and clocks. Run gw2 windowed and set measurements next to it. Probably you will find youreself when doing this the cause.
This issues came in may threads already and are solved for different people, thing is, as it is so many times said, people stop repeating.
ex. thread with some explanation about cpu gpu bus.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/support/New-GPU-low-FPS-rx-460/first#post6616646

Posted by: Ashantara.8731

Ashantara.8731

Posted by: RedZebra.2345

RedZebra.2345

Ashantara ? come on, why ask. If he post some stuff, gpuz and cpu load we can help. rest is just guessing. And even if he had @ 4,2 ghz this wont be the problem.

(edited by RedZebra.2345)

Posted by: MrFayth.3546

MrFayth.3546

For starters

Just took that today. With my weak setup(mostly GPU).

No one in this whole thread should be performing worse than me, and that’s while (trying to) record at 63FPS(reduced frame-time)

If something is wrong, it’s not “just gw”, it’s a software conflict or a mass bloatware problem.

Curious, how many processes running while playing?

i5 4690k @4.1ghz, r7 260x 1180/1680,8Gb G.skill Ripjaw 2133, 120gb ssd Gw2+OS

Nitrosharp.1458

Ok so no idea why, but GW2 is fixed now for whatever reason. I’ve been playing ESO for the past month, with an average FPS of 30-50. Today I log on, and am getting over 100fps. I was like “wtf?” and immediately logged into GW2 out of curiosity. I’m getting 68fps in Divinity’s Reach now (see attachment).

Don’t know if there was a GeForce experience patch, windows update or maybe even the fact that its roughly 20 degrees cooler today than it has been all summer (never had temperature problems, but who knows, could have been an issue.)

Anyway, it seems to be working atm! Thanks for everyone’s help

Attachments: