Okay... you need to do something about this

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: MakeitNeil.4561

MakeitNeil.4561

When I deleted my kittening PvP character… I lost an arcane converter, 50 some arcane crystals, and a whole godkitten set of masquerade gear. You need to either make armors and salvage items across characters… or at least warn us about this before we delete our godkitten character. I know it is a fault of mine for not thinking… but you could still help people like me out, ya know?

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Contact support. No one here can help you.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: uknortherner.2670

uknortherner.2670

The fact is, we need a wardrobe system where all purchased items can be retrieved if they are accidentally deleted. I lost a cosmetic item because I forgot to unequip it from one of my alts before deleting that character – luckily I hadn’t wasted any real money on it, just in-game gold.

I stole a special snowflake’s future by exercising my democratic right to vote.

Posted by: MakeitNeil.4561

MakeitNeil.4561

We are getting a wardrobe system son… waddat!

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

If I’m not mistaken there IS a warning that all items on the character about to be deleted will be lost. Not READING the warning is not something Anet can fix. I get you are frustrated at the situation, but even trying to point the smallest bit of blame in this situation at Anet is absolutely and completely incorrect. A suggestion that they put flashing, 250 pt., RED text in the warning is acceptable, but not saying this is in anyway Anet’s fault.

Good luck with Support….they are usually helpful in situations like this (but it depends on the item and it’s rarity, I think).

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

(edited by Brother Grimm.5176)

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

When deleting a character there is a notification on the delete panel which says:

Deleting a character will permanently destroy any items in that character’s inventory as well as any character-based unlocks associated with that character.
If you are certain you wish to delete “[Character Name],” type the name below and click “Delete.”

So, it specifically DOES warn you in the delete panel that it will permanently destroy any items in that character’s inventory. If you didn’t read the warning that was right in front of you, what else would you have them do?

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

I really don’t know what we can do, aside from the warning we already give, and (I believe) requiring that you input the character name a second time as confirmation that “Yes, I really want to do this.”

I’m pondering the next step: “Are you really really sure? Please signify by [insert some action here.” At some point, after giving warning and making it clear what is involved in the deletion of a character, we need to allow that process to happen. Putting too many hurdles to accomplishing a desired function can make the process irritating and non-user-friendly, after all.

I do want to say that I am sorry that you deleted in error and lost items.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

(edited by Gaile Gray.6029)

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

Yeah. If you deleted a character, it is your fault. It’s actually pretty hard to delete a character.

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

You could have 20 confirmation boxes, and the same player will still make the same mistake.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Posted by: ShadyNZL.9018

ShadyNZL.9018

This will sound pretty dumb but I wrote a checklist of all the things I need to do before deleting a character (yep – I lost ALOT of gold back in the day). It’s so easy to forget that Gem store mining pick you got….

It’s simple and since then I haven’t accidentally lost anything of value.

Posted by: The Ice Mage.4879

The Ice Mage.4879

Each to their own I guess, but I pretty much never delete chars, unless I’ve been doing a key run.

Astral Projections.7320

I really don’t know what we can do, aside from the warning we already give, and (I believe) requiring that you input the character name a second time as confirmation that “Yes, I really want to do this.”

I’m pondering the next step: “Are you really really sure? Please signify by [insert some action here.” At some point, after giving warning and making it clear what is involved in the deletion of a character, we need to allow that process to happen. Putting too many hurdles to accomplishing a desired function can make the process irritating and non-user-friendly, after all.

You only type the character name in the one time and then hit delete. Since the warning about losing everything in your inventory is on the delete panel I doubt that making someone type the character name in twice will change anything. If he didn’t read the warning the first time he won’t read it just because he has to type the name in again.

Maybe a different response, something similar to this.

[Deleting a character will permanently destroy any items in that character’s inventory as well as any character-based unlocks associated with that character.

If you understand that you will lose everything in your inventory as well as any character based unlocks then type, I understand, into the space below. Then click accept:

I understand (click accept)

If you are certain you wish to delete “[Character Name],” type the name below and click “Delete.”]

Posted by: Panda Shepard.1248

Panda Shepard.1248

I really don’t think adding more check boxes and retyping of names is gonna fix this specific problem. The more of those things you add, the more people are going to be frustrated and NOT read what they’re doing.

The only thing that MIGHT work is show you the inventory of the character and tell you that all these items will be deleted too, and then have you type out the character’s name.

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

I really don’t think adding more check boxes and retyping of names is gonna fix this specific problem. The more of those things you add, the more people are going to be frustrated and NOT read what they’re doing.

The only thing that MIGHT work is show you the inventory of the character and tell you that all these items will be deleted too, and then have you type out the character’s name.

And because 99.99% of the time players have already cleared out the inventory of anything tradable or sellable, all you’re doing is annoying a lot of people including the ones who never pay attention to the warnings and will proceed to delete their Legendary gear anyway.

I started using computers back when you got a black screen and a flashing dot. If you typed something wrong the computer didn’t guess what you really meant, it just said “syntax error.” Most of the time it didn’t ask if you were sure, when you gave it a command it executed the command. I once killed a Commodore 128 by pressing the wrong key sequence – it crashed the computer permanently and I could only run it in C64 mode from then on. I never figured out what happened or how to fix it.

I’ve spent hours typing up term papers and lost everything because I turned off the computer or the power went out – back in the old days before autosave and “are you sure you want to do that?” prompts. But I never wrote to the software companies blaming them for my mistakes. Kids these days…

Posted by: Alice.8694

Alice.8694

There is one thing you could of course do…

Force it so that a player has to sell or destroy everything the character holds before it can be deleted.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I delete a character once or twice a week. I specifically leave some items on the character to be destroyed. I hope they don’t change the function whereas one must have an empty inventory. But, I suppose I could live with it.

Remember, though, these are quite isolated instances. I am sure hundreds of characters are deleted each week, and we only see one of these threads, maybe, once a month. If that often.

Changing the way the game functions may be a lot more involved than most believe.

Astral Projections.7320

I delete a character moderately frequently, 2 to 3 times a month. If the game forced me to completely clean out the inventory that should be an unnecessary hassle. In general, most people are going to do it properly. It’s only the ones who don’t read the panel and its warning that is right there in front of them who have problems. I really don’t think the system has to be completely reworked to accommodate these people. An extra warning at the most.

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

There is one thing you could of course do…

Force it so that a player has to sell or destroy everything the character holds before it can be deleted.

OR…. you can just do it yourself, without having to add extra steps for the other 99.99% of players who are aware of what they’re doing.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

I think we’ve discussed this and the majority seem to agree that the system works just fine, it’s just that each player needs to move with care in the deletion process.

Closing thread.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet