Orange icon - what is GW2 trying to tell me?

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Doghouse.1562

Doghouse.1562

My GW2 icon under Win 10 sometimes glows orange. Can anyone help me understand what’s going on, please?

Most days, for a short while, I run two copies of GW2 (two accounts; separate game copies on my drives) on my Win 10 machine. I have noticed of late that the background of one, and sometimes both, of the game icons on my Taskbar will sometimes turn orange. This is not the colour I see when the window has focus, and happens whether the window has focus or not.

I haven’t noticed other program icon showing the same behaviour, and I know that the icon backgrounds can now be actively modified by software, so I’m guessing that GW2 is trying to tell me something – but I have no idea what. It seems to happen in particular when I enter a new area – Heart of the Mists is particularly prone to it – so I’m guessing it’s got something to do with resources.

I first noticed it after installing CoreTemp v1.9, which is displaying my CPU temperature as a coloured bar within the taskbar icon – so it’s quite possible I’m only noticing the GW2 icons now because I’m paying more attention to my taskbar than I used to.

Any help in understanding what I’m seeing would be gratefully received.

Posted by: nottsgman.8206

nottsgman.8206

when playing in windowed mode, and the window is out of focus, the icon changes orange to indicate the zone you were loading into has done loading and you can now play. it has done that for a long time.

70 ‘mains’ and waiting for more slots
| 61 Asura | 5 Charr | 2 Norn | 1 Human | 1 Sylvari |

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

That’s a Windows “feature”, alerting you that the app wants attention rather that popping to the foreground. It was there in 7 as well IIRC.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Doghouse.1562

Doghouse.1562

Thanks, guys. Both correct, I think! I’ve popped in and out of zones testing it, and it fits the “zone loaded” scenario. I never even considered that it might only apply to out-of-focus windows. More importantly, I can stop worrying that it’s trying to tell me something may have problems. Much appreciated.