Out of memory error

Out of memory error

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

The overclock is rockstable, the voltage is higher than needed to run stresstests like Prime95 24h nonstop (I increased it a tiny bit to be safe after 24h test). The last bluescreen was over 10.000 operating hours ago.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Out of memory error

Posted by: mercury ranique.2170

mercury ranique.2170

The overclock is rockstable, the voltage is higher than needed to run stresstests like Prime95 24h nonstop (I increased it a tiny bit to be safe after 24h test). The last bluescreen was over 10.000 operating hours ago.

But still it looses the warrant and you can never rule out this is happening cause of the overclocking. As stated, you are using the hardware on settings that are beyond the official specs. This is not tested and also Arenanet doesn’t include overclocked systems in their tests.

If I was support I would leave your system out of any research to solve this issue and only if a solution was found inform you to test it on your own.

Arise, ye farmers of all nations
Arise, opressed of Tyria!

Out of memory error

Malediktus.9250

Stop threating me like a noob, I know the risks of overclocking.

Out of memory error

mercury ranique.2170

Well then if you know the risks you know that support or others can’t help you when you have any issue. Case closed.

Out of memory error

Malediktus.9250

Yes, makes it easy to call the case close right? I am willing to bet money that its not a hardware (or overclocking) problem. I love smart people like you who make people wasted hours upon hours to check their hardware and in the end it was a problem caused by software (in this case GW2).

It doesnt take a genius to realize that 100+ character models on highest quality can cause problems with 32bit, especially if the memory management is not the best.

And I rather wait for anet support answers than keep listening to suggestions and assumptions of amateurs.

Out of memory error

Posted by: Ameepa.6793

Ameepa.6793

I have the exact same problem and it started at the same time as yours. Crash is always after 3-4 hour client uptime during a world boss or scarlet invasion. I’ve played since launch and have not had any crashes before that patch. I haven’t changed anything in my system and have not overclocked anything.

(edited by Ameepa.6793)

Out of memory error

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

@Malediktus – If you want help from other players check your ego at the door. If you want help from ANet file a ticket and argue with them, I’m sure it’ll get you far.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Out of memory error

mercury ranique.2170

Most often these situations means gathering a lot of evidence that there is something wrong (by arenanet offcourse). Each piece of evidence has to be carefully checked and double checked. Malediktus overclocked his cpu, there is nothing wrong with that, but for evidence that it is a client issue, it doesn’t count anymore. Also the continues speculation that it has to do with a 32 client (even after some very valid arguments against having a 32 and 64 bit client have been adressed) means you have a very stuborn personality. This will not help the cause.

Your case is not valid cause you overclocked. Please let this thread not go out of hand so people like Ameepa can be helped. He/she prolly has a valid case that can be presented as possible evidence there is an issue with the client. As well some others. Your stuborn discussion is keeping this thread away from the issue others have as well. I know you are the OP and I am thankfull for bringing this issue forward. But I ask you to let this go, so the problem can actually be tackled. I do agree that when that happens you will very likely have a solution too. I do not believe the overclocking is the reason behind your issue when others have it as well.

Memory problems are often very complex and requires multiple party’s to work together to solve it. Anet is going to need clean cases, yours is not clean (though your problem is valid).

Out of memory error

Malediktus.9250

You make no sense, overclocking only causes software problems if done wrong.

Out of memory error

mercury ranique.2170

Then you don’t understand the risks of overclocking at all.

Out of memory error

Posted by: johnpoc.8732

johnpoc.8732

I had the exact same problem, changing to a 64 bit OS and expanding my RAM solved it

Lockn Loada/Ryu Shueki
[RUN] solo/duo roamer

Out of memory error

Posted by: Espionage.3685

Espionage.3685

I really don’t expect a CPU OC to cause OOM errors with a single program, but have you tried using stock clocks anyway?

Out of memory error

Malediktus.9250

I had the exact same problem, changing to a 64 bit OS and expanding my RAM solved it

Already got 64bit and plenty of RAM

Out of memory error

Posted by: Mif.3471

Mif.3471

Then you don’t understand the risks of overclocking at all.

If you actually knew what you’re talking about, you would of made an actual technical point to support your argument other than “I know more than you do”.

Also, the only reason it happens on an overclocked system, is that by having more computational power via overclocking you raise the CPU bottleneck to a point where the game can actually use enough ram to have the OOM error.

Furthermore:

Your stuborn discussion is keeping this thread away from the issue others have as well. I know you are the OP and I am thankfull for bringing this issue forward. But I ask you to let this go, so the problem can actually be tackled.

1) You are not “the boss” of this forum.
2) You do not have a right to come into a thread someone made, tell them they’re wrong, you’re right, and that they should shut up
3) The only one being stubborn here is you. You made your point, your suggestion was noted, stop hijacking the thread.

@Malediktus, just ignore him.

Tarnished Coast | Best cookies in all of Tyria

(edited by Mif.3471)

Out of memory error

Malediktus.9250

Now the support wants me to test this with all auto start objects turned off, including all microsoft services. That sounds a bit silly to me to play without firewalls and anti virus software. Thats pretty much all I have running in the background since I am keeping my system very clean. I think I will give up on contacting the support, its more hassle than it seems worth it.
Plus they only give me 72 hours to test this until they close the ticket. Thats hardly enough time to test it throughoutly.

Out of memory error

Posted by: abomally.2694

abomally.2694

Sigh…why don’t you simply test GW2 without overclocking?

If it resolves the issue, then you [for sure] know the cause. If not, well, A-net should look into client bugs as I’m sure there are some.

Out of memory error

Espionage.3685

Now the support wants me to test this with all auto start objects turned off, including all microsoft services. That sounds a bit silly to me to play without firewalls and anti virus software.

It’s a way to determine if software is interfering or not. You would be surprised as to what chaos AV can cause at times… (my favorite was when a game would cause an entire BSoD on Windows 8 due to avast! trying aggressively to pull the anti-cheat out of memory)

I may have to agree with support’s suggestion though. Try it, play, and see if you run into any OOM errors still (may want to save it for a time you know you can play GW2 for an extended time period, and not browse the web). If not, then it’s likely software-related then. If so, then more things can be looked into… It’s all about trying to eliminate all possible causes for issue.

I remember when my computer used to shutdown if I started up either Diablo III or WoW’s game launchers (just the launcher, not actual gameplay). Nothing else caused a problem, not even prime95. To my surprise though, it turned out my CPU hit the thermal limit for half a second when running either launcher, causing my computer to shutdown. Definitely not something I was expecting at all, but I did go through a process of trying out stuff to find this, including trying stuff that I didn’t even think would be an issue (like temperatures).

I’ll need to find some time to play GW2 for a few hours as of lately, but to this date, I’ve never experienced an OOM error.

As a quick random question to anyone with OOM errors, are you disabling or limiting the Page File in any way (this includes setting your own value)? If so, set it to have Windows handle it, reboot, and try GW2 again. Even if you haven’t limited it knowingly, go check it regardless, as 3rd-party software could’ve modified it…

(edited by Espionage.3685)

Out of memory error

Malediktus.9250

My page file is set to 16MB to 4GB windows decided.

Out of memory error

abomally.2694

To add to Espionage.3685’s post -

Also, you should never set virtual memory below your amount of physical RAM (minumum = 1 X RAM). Windows is designed to page virtual memory in an amount equal (or above) the amount of RAM you have – never less.

Personally, I set my page file to 1.5 X my amount of RAM. It’s just an “old school” habit I have. I never get an “out of memory” error.

Out of memory error

abomally.2694

My page file is set to 16MB to 4GB windows decided.

That, in itself, is a bit strange. It could happen if you’ve installed RAM after the OS was installed though. I wonder if Windows is producing that error because your page file is set below your actual amount of memory.

You could try setting the page file (min and max) to 8192 MB, equal to your amount of memory. It may eliminate this “out of memory” error.

Out of memory error

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

But that is standard automatic managed settings for the page file, the 16MB minimum that is. Mine is minimum 16MB, recommended 11499MB, currently 7666MB and I’m running with 8GB of system memory. I have plenty of drive space so no reason not to let Windows manage it.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Out of memory error

Malediktus.9250

To add to Espionage.3685’s post -

Also, you should never set virtual memory below your amount of physical RAM (minumum = 1 X RAM). Windows is designed to page virtual memory in an amount equal (or above) the amount of RAM you have – never less.

Personally, I set my page file to 1.5 X my amount of RAM. It’s just an “old school” habit I have. I never get an “out of memory” error.

That is an ancient rule from where having 4GB+ RAM was not the norm. I know some people who turn of page file entirely to save space on SSD and it produces no problems for them.

Out of memory error

Posted by: Stormcrow.7513

Stormcrow.7513

There are applications that require a page file. Even with a RAM disk and using 32 gb of ram I would always have a page file active.

i7 3770k oc 4.5 H100i(push/pull) 8gb Corsair Dominator Asus P877V-LK
intel 335 180gb/intel 320 160gb WD 3TB Gigabyte GTX G1 970 XFX XXX750W HAF 932

Out of memory error

Malediktus.9250

I got one, but I never see it go above 200-300Mb size unless I open some very hiqh quality image at once in photo shop.

Out of memory error

Espionage.3685

I played for 5 hours last night, no OOM errors at all. Took part in a SB event also.

Out of memory error

Posted by: Stormcrow.7513

Stormcrow.7513

I had some issues during the Teq event of massive micro stuttering followed by client crash.
Generally I will reboot my machine about every 6 hours or so to fix that up. I am not sure and I have no proof but it does certainly “feel” like a memory leak.
I haven’t bothered to look at the log files to see if it is a OOM or not but I will if there is another crash.
I use a system managed page file and windows does the trick ok. I am not overly concerned about page file size on my OS SSD really.
My OC is rock stable and I have to use a high voltage for my moderate oc
Maybe a dev could shed some light on this?
I also run everything high/ultra with supersampling, no reflections no fxaa(blech SweetFX ftw) and highest/highest.
I have never seen GW2 use more than 1.4gb of VRam but I have seen it use close to 3gb of Ram.

i7 3770k oc 4.5 H100i(push/pull) 8gb Corsair Dominator Asus P877V-LK
intel 335 180gb/intel 320 160gb WD 3TB Gigabyte GTX G1 970 XFX XXX750W HAF 932

Out of memory error

Posted by: Ayomi.4856

Ayomi.4856

I also have this error saying ‘Out of memory’ …
I have it all the time, to be honest. It really screws my gameplay (especially when it shuts the game during a story dungeon).
Reading through this thread, I’ll try playing with low graphics. I hope that helps.

Also, I have texture bugs a lot. I don’t know if that’s connected to the error. It probably is.
Characters, the map, my inventory, or the trading company’s window… They often turn blue-green colored like on this picture :
http://screenshot.xfire.com/s/129399550-3.jpg

I hope I’ll find a way not to have this error and texture bug so often.