Overclocking causes game crashes?

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: ATC Alpha.4098

ATC Alpha.4098

Since a few days ago when I got new hardware, Gw2 started to randomly crash.
It could be from 1min to 30min-ish of playing time.

Spec:
AMD FX-8150, 8 core 3.6Ghz
Stock Core Speed 3600 MHz
ATM running at 4306,9 MHz according to speccy.

SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0
GeForce GTX 650 Ti BOOST
8GB RAM

I’ve been in contact with support and it lead to that overclocking is causing the crashes. However, I haven’t overclocked anything at all or messed with any settings.

Anyone got similar issues?

Posted by: Iruwen.3164

Iruwen.3164

The CPU normally boosts to 4,2GHz according to the specs I just looked at, does your board apply some additionaly dynamic OC?

Iruwen Evillan, Human Mesmer on Drakkar Lake

Posted by: Ilithis Mithilander.3265

Ilithis Mithilander.3265

Does the Sabertooth 990FX have automatic overclocking capabilities? I know some motherboards have that, so I would double check and make sure your motherboard does not have such options in BIOS.

Perhaps the GTX 650Ti Boost’s boost clock is what they are considering overclocking even though its part of the normal specification for the graphics card. You can try and disable the boost frequency setting and have it run at one frequency all the time.

Primary Guild: Testing Eternity [TE]
Chloe (Version 3):
[i7 930 @ 4.1Ghz (1.3875V) w/Cooler Master 120M][Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (stock)]

Posted by: Stormcrow.7513

Stormcrow.7513

Any overclock you do should be tested for stability. Using utilities for overclocking is ok but generally you will get lower voltages doing a manual setup.
There are tons of great sites to help you out.
www.overclockers.net is a great resource to help you out.
My AMD system and my Intel system are/were both overclocked for GW2.
I would bet your issues stem from stability.

i7 3770k oc 4.5 H100i(push/pull) 8gb Corsair Dominator Asus P877V-LK
intel 335 180gb/intel 320 160gb WD 3TB Gigabyte GTX G1 970 XFX XXX750W HAF 932

Ilithis Mithilander.3265

Any overclock you do should be tested for stability. Using utilities for overclocking is ok but generally you will get lower voltages doing a manual setup.
There are tons of great sites to help you out.
www.overclockers.net is a great resource to help you out.
My AMD system and my Intel system are/were both overclocked for GW2.
I would bet your issues stem from stability.

Haha, did you even read the post? He’s/She’s not looking to overclock nor has he/she. We’re trying to pin down what is going on, because ArenaNet is going to keep pointing that the system is overclocked and that is the problem. There might be some automatic overclocking going on which is what I suspect, but I’m not entirely sure.

Chloe (Version 3):
[i7 930 @ 4.1Ghz (1.3875V) w/Cooler Master 120M][Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (stock)]

(edited by Ilithis Mithilander.3265)

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

So you say this …

Stock Core Speed 3600 MHz
ATM running at 4306,9 MHz according to speccy.

Yet you havent overclocked a thing ? And yet your cpu is running at 700Mhz higher than stock,so clearly,your Auto OC feature is enabled in your bios,might possibly be messing with your mem configuration,timings aswell.You need to either read up on your Mobo’s settings or take a look at them yourself.
Anyhow,you Need to disable Turbo core – A1 Tweaker,,thats whats kicking your cpu clock up under load.

Posted by: Stormcrow.7513

Stormcrow.7513

Ya I didnt read the whole thing :P too much on the go~!
Probably an auto oc feature in the bios. Those chips do turbo up to 4.2ghz.

i7 3770k oc 4.5 H100i(push/pull) 8gb Corsair Dominator Asus P877V-LK
intel 335 180gb/intel 320 160gb WD 3TB Gigabyte GTX G1 970 XFX XXX750W HAF 932

ATC Alpha.4098

I’ve now capped and disabled the auto OC feature but I still get crashes. Sent support a new crash log and discovered:

“I took a look at your crashlogs again and found that the file that is causing you to crash is nvd3dum.dll. This is a dll file that is associated with your graphics card drivers. The issue you are experiencing is called a TDR or Timeout Detection and Recovery error that happens with the Windows Vista/7 and the Nvidia Drivers. For more information on this error, please go to the following link:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/389688/geforce-drivers/nvidia-statement-on-tdr-errors-display-driver-nvlddmkm-stopped-/

As you can see from the above article, this is not an actual issue with Guild Wars 2, but with the Nvidia drivers and will have to be addressed and corrected by Nvidia. "

Ilithis Mithilander.3265

Well, with that new light, are we sure you are running the latest Nvidia drivers? Perhaps doing a clean install will rid yourself of the issue. I’m not sure what your operating system is, but you can get the latest drivers to download here:
http://www.geforce.com/drivers/beta-legacy

Chloe (Version 3):

ATC Alpha.4098

Well, with that new light, are we sure you are running the latest Nvidia drivers? Perhaps doing a clean install will rid yourself of the issue. I’m not sure what your operating system is, but you can get the latest drivers to download here:
http://www.geforce.com/drivers/beta-legacy

Yes I have the latest drivers.

Ilithis Mithilander.3265

Check your thermals for the GPU when it creates this error. Also, if you can disable the boost ability on the GTX 650Ti Boost, that would be good as well. Perhaps it’s boosting too hard when playing GW2 creating stability issues.

Chloe (Version 3):