Persistent Crash, fresh install

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Sera.6539

Sera.6539

I’ve been getting crashes (mostly only at large group events – AKA world bosses when there are 50 million players around). This was a fresh install, + today’s new build. In the past I’ve tried -repair and reinstalling as well.

Any clues as to what the issue is?

Attachments:

Gelda Nebilim – Nagare [NGE] – Crystal Desert
http://youtube.com/user/Royblazer

Sera.6539

Another, at Shatterer.

This makes it really difficult to do world bosses with the megaservers. It’s like a ticking time bomb until a crash pops up.

Attachments:

Posted by: TwistedPrestige.4723

TwistedPrestige.4723

Been having the same issues as you

Consistent crashes at world bosses, which I haven’t had any problem with before the april 15th patch
Especially annoying since the chest is gone when you relog as a result of the megaserver system

(edited by TwistedPrestige.4723)

Posted by: Mr Lock.5079

Mr Lock.5079

Same problem here:

—> Crash <—
OOM: Heap, bytes=8388728,
App: Gw2.exe
Pid: 2620
Cmdline:
BaseAddr: 00400000
ProgramId: 101
Build: 32779
When: 2014-04-23T16:43:10Z 2014-04-23T18:43:10+02:00
Uptime: 0 days 1:27:23
Flags: 0

—> System <—

Keeps happening during big events. Never had problems with events on full servers before the patch.

Posted by: Wasbunny.6531

Wasbunny.6531

Same problems here that have been ramping up ever since the megaserver was implemented, I think mainly due to the amount of added players to each map.

It’s always the same OOM (Out of Memory) error in the crash report. It’s usually about 4GB but I’ve seen it go as high as 8GB. I only have 4GB of RAM (Windows XP) Nvidia GTX760.

I have these crashes consistently when zoning into a new map.

I really only crash if I’m around a lot of players and in the past have had to avoid large events like dragons or any other large zergs. This is starting to happen so frequently now in all maps that the game is almost unplayable.

~An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way.~

Sera.6539

Another user commented on another thread, with the OP having a similar issue.

The base problem here is that GW2 is a 32 Bit program and can only use a maximum of 3 GB, even on a 64 Bit OS with truckloads of ram. The amount of textures being loaded with all the different characters is too much for that. So it runs into the 3 GB wall and crashes. Sadly there has never been any response from Anet if we can expect a 64 Bit client in the future, which should fix the problem for good, at least on a 64 Bit OS.

I have no clue if it’s actually the true cause or not. But I suppose the workaround is to lower graphical settings so that less memory needs to be used. I’ll try it for the next few days and see if it helps (I currently run everything at max settings, minus sampling).

It makes inherent sense to me. I remember Elder Scrolls Skyrim having a 4GB mod, because the program only ran at 2GB max for awhile, causing crashes to desktop.

(edited by Sera.6539)

Posted by: abomally.2694

abomally.2694

People -

Please don’t say “I have the same crash or same problem here” – please create a new thread. Not all crashes and causes are the same.

Also, please include the ENTIRE Guild Wars 2 crash log with your thread. Without it, we have nothing to go on.

Posted by: TwistedPrestige.4723

TwistedPrestige.4723

Updating with a further crash report occuring at Modniir Ulgoth with a very large ammount of players nearby

As the crash report seemed very similar to the one previously posted I found it to be wise to not start a new thread, feel free to correct me though

System information:

Win 8.0 64-bit
intel i7-3770 cpu @ 3.40GHz
10 gb ram

I did some testing myself trying different graphics settings
My results were the following:
-With max settings, which I normaly play at without any issues, I crashed at every other world boss depending on how many players were around (no crashes at maw for instance, but most times at shatterer)
-with “auto-detect” graphics settings I experienced no crashes at all(tested at 10 w bosses)

The results will of course vary depending on you computer’s CPU etc but proves the point that the problem is caused by too many players being around you using skills (which things like “Couldn’t find projectile effect for skill ‘KIWQR.f0qXr’” from crash report points towards?) and furthermore that a quick-fix could be to turn down your graphics settings, considering that you have the same cause of crash as I do

This is all speculation from my part and any opinions are appreciated

Concerning a long-term fix to the issue, the only thing I can come to think of is a feature that turns down your graphics a tad when fps dips below an amount or something similar.
Any thoughts?

Sera.6539

I’ve turned down my character model limit to Medium (from Highest), and it has helped tremendously. There are still instances where it rises too high and crashes, but I’ll be adjusting my settings accordingly.