Privacy Discussion [merged]

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

A few threads are arisen over time regarding player privacy. We’ve merged them here so that we can keep any conversations and suggestions in a single thread.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: Luneya.1709

Luneya.1709

Dear Arenanet,

I have found some closed topics about this issue from 2 years ago and nothing has changed yet.

Blocked players should be blocked from seeing my online status and my whereabouts ingame.

At this time, I feel the block function is too one-sided and I desperately implore you to fix this! I want to prevent certain players from seeing me online in their friendslist. The only way to achieve that at this time, is to set my status to offline which immediately prevents me from communicating in Guild Chat. Which makes no sense, since the people I want to hide myself from are not in my guild.

Please please please please please please fix this!

Posted by: Lord Arhan Warmark.7098

Lord Arhan Warmark.7098

I find this kind of silly. If you block someone you should never see them and they should never see you, at least as far as online status goes. I don’t even know why this is still an issue. Thankfully I don’t have anyone really blocked as I never have map chat on and I’ve managed to only meet and chat with nice people. Sorry you’re having to deal with idiots.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Although the topic of the post is about /blocking, it’s really about being able to hide your in-game presence.

• People you blocked can tell if you’re off/online and where you are.
  • Invisible status doesn’t hide you from friends, guildies, or blocked accounts. Guildies can see location and a last logged-on, which will update as you log on/off. Anyone who has you on one of those lists can see your location change.
John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Miss Lana.5276

Miss Lana.5276

I’m literally pleading at this point. I would resurrect the other thread I’ve made about it but I can’t find a trace of it.

You want to know why I NEED this function, devs? I was pmed by a gold seller 9 times in less than 1 minute. A girl can’t go afk to do anything without being harassed it seems!

I should not have to change my chat log because some kittenhat decides to spam me with messages. The lack of privacy settings is phenomenal. If I appear offline I can’t see what is happening in guild chat. If I make a tab without whispers then I miss out on talking to people. So it’s either miss out on everything that is being said in both guild chat and messages, or get harassed by people like this. It’s absolutely ludicrous.

This picture only shows some of the messages that were spammed to me. The chat box couldn’t expand far enough to fit it all in, and yes, these are all from the same character.

This function should have been in-game at release. I’m begging that it be put into HoT.

(Before people say “block and report”, yes I know, I know. I blocked and reported AFTER it had happened -as I was afk when it happened-, but instead of being *re*active, I want to have the ability to be *pro*active.)

Attachments:

48 Characters|Necro|Raider|Fractaller|PvPer|Singer
So long Treeface.
“…Kormir? I know not of whom you speak.”

(edited by Miss Lana.5276)

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

I agree, there is absolutely no reason for them to not implement a privacy feature. In another game I played they had basic options such as “friends only”, “everyone” and “no one” for whispers.

Why oh why has this not been added here yet? With the incoming mentor system the old excuse “what if people want/need to pm you because they need help?” that I have heard before will be redundant as there will be people available and dare I say it even WILLING to help people out who need it.

This issue needs to become a priority for Anet imo after HOT is released if not beforehand if it would not take too many resources/effort.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: Qugi.2653

Qugi.2653

You should have edited the URL from image as well because now your picture advertise gold sellers to forum,

;)

Miss Lana.5276

You should have edited the URL from image as well because now your picture advertise gold sellers to forum,

The only reason I edited out the name of the guy pming me was because for some reason there’s a no naming-and-shaming policy. If someone else was complaining about being pmed from gold sellers I’d want to know the name so I could block them too.

Also if you couldn’t tell from the first post this is not a joke thread. Don’t turn it into one.

So long Treeface.

Posted by: simplesimon.2084

simplesimon.2084

I’m literally pleading at this point. I would resurrect the other thread I’ve made about it but I can’t find a trace of it.

You want to know why I NEED this function, devs? I was pmed by a gold seller 9 times in less than 1 minute. A girl can’t go afk to do anything without being harassed it seems!

I should not have to change my chat log because some kittenhat decides to spam me with messages. The lack of privacy settings is phenomenal. If I appear offline I can’t see what is happening in guild chat. If I make a tab without whispers then I miss out on talking to people. So it’s either miss out on everything that is being said in both guild chat and messages, or get harassed by people like this. It’s absolutely ludicrous.

This picture only shows some of the messages that were spammed to me. The chat box couldn’t expand far enough to fit it all in, and yes, these are all from the same character.

This function should have been in-game at release. I’m begging that it be put into HoT.

(Before people say “block and report”, yes I know, I know. I blocked and reported AFTER it had happened -as I was afk when it happened-, but instead of being *re*active, I want to have the ability to be *pro*active.)

your post doesn’t say what you actually want implemented.

Miss Lana.5276

Literally any type of privacy settings for whispers. A “Do not disturb”, a “friends only” or hell even an offline mode that lets you see guild chat would be nice!

So long Treeface.

Paulytnz.7619

I don’t mean to sound like a rule enforcer or anything else myself either but I would like to add you should edit out the site url if anything for fear this entire thread might be deleted because of it.

This thread is a valid one and I support it so I would hate for it to be shut down because of something as trivial as that address showing.

Edit: yay you bet me before I posted this lol.

simplesimon.2084

Literally any type of privacy settings for whispers. A “Do not disturb”, a “friends only” or hell even an offline mode that lets you see guild chat would be nice!

Well for DnD you can set the chat tab with whisper off.
Friends only could be added to the game
And for your offline mode with guild chat only you just need to set the chat tab to guild only.

Posted by: Skynet.7201

Skynet.7201

It would be a nice feature to be able to (like we could in GW1) to set to offline and still be able to interact with guild chat without being pestered with whispers.

We created the perfect infiltration machine.
Join 9K+ GW2 players: https://www.facebook.com/groups/GW2Gamers/
All are welcome!

Miss Lana.5276

And for your offline mode with guild chat only you just need to set the chat tab to guild only.

I should not have to change my chat log because some kittenhat decides to spam me with messages.

I don’t want to have 3 alternate versions of tabs I already have. Privacy functions regarding whispering should already be in-game. I like seeing what’s going on in map chat and say chat. None of your suggestions fixes this at all.

So long Treeface.

Posted by: Skynet.7201

Skynet.7201

There’s a guy in WvW that blocks everyone while he trolls just about everyone for no reason at all. Real disgruntled guy, for those able to read his comments. He also “disappears” for days at a time.

Having said that, a few people mentioned that there can be temp bans based on having a high number of blocks. Thought I’d ask here if there was any penalty for it.

At any rate, I sure am sick of blocking these gold seller donkey chapeaus.
It’s going to get worse near the expansion too. :/ Hopefully something can get done before then.

We created the perfect infiltration machine.
Join 9K+ GW2 players: https://www.facebook.com/groups/GW2Gamers/
All are welcome!

Posted by: Coulter.2315

Coulter.2315

I should not have to change my chat log because some kittenhat decides to spam me with messages.

I don’t want to have 3 alternate versions of tabs I already have. Privacy functions regarding whispering should already be in-game. I like seeing what’s going on in map chat and say chat. None of your suggestions fixes this at all.

You were just given a perfect solution and you’re fighting back for no reason..

Set up another chat panel with all the privacy you want, toggle it on when you want privacy. ITS PERFECT AND ALREADY AVAILABLE.

Posted by: Zaklex.6308

Zaklex.6308

Well, it would be nice to have Privacy settings, but keep in mind that those same Privacy settings could be a detriment to the game by keeping players from helping other players…just a thought to keep in mind when suggesting something like this.

For the Gold Sellers, once you Block and Report, wait a few days, then unblock as they account has most likely been permanently banned already and you’ll never hear from that particular account again. I’ve been spammed like that before, but I usually don’t pay attention to any type of chat, so I didn’t notice it, and by the time I did and reported and blocked, it appeared the account had already been banned. It’s also unusual for the Gold Sellers to spam like that, they more target multiple players.

Posted by: Bomber.3872

Bomber.3872

In gw2 are no privacy settings needed. System is great right now. Stop complaining.

IGN: Euer Verderben
[RUC] Riverside United Corps! For Riverside!

Posted by: ScribeTheMad.7614

ScribeTheMad.7614

Wait, you can’t see guild chat when set to Invisible?
I’d swear I still got guild chat while invisible, I just couldn’t be whispered :/

Either way, “Configure your chat windows so you can’t see whispers” is an unacceptable “solution”

“The short answer is that new content is not going to drive people away from the game.
There is absolutely no evidence to support that it would.” -AnthonyOrdon

Miss Lana.5276

In gw2 are no privacy settings needed. System is great right now. Stop complaining.

Did you see the pic? Look at it. Look at the timestamps carefully. You’re kidding yourself if you think no privacy settings are needed. Either that or you don’t have half the issues with gold sellers that I do.

Wait, you can’t see guild chat when set to Invisible?
I’d swear I still got guild chat while invisible, I just couldn’t be whispered :/

Either way, “Configure your chat windows so you can’t see whispers” is an unacceptable “solution”

Nope. No guild chat to be seen when invis, unless they’ve changed it within the last month or so.

And yes, changing my chat window isn’t an acceptable solution. It’s a bandaid on a festering wound. At least someone here understands this!

So long Treeface.

Paulytnz.7619

I really don’t understand why there is always people who try to shoot something down or say “no” to things especially when it will have NO negative effect on the game. It really does make me wonder…….

Maybe they just like to argue for the sake of it?

Posted by: Kolisch.4691

Kolisch.4691

More pm customization is needed. I’m close to buying a new account for reasons I am too uncomfortable to mention here.

HoT = Grind Wars 2
HoT = WvW players forced to PVE

Posted by: Ameepa.6793

Ameepa.6793

I would love the option to accept whispers only from friends and guildies. I don’t even remember when was the last time I got a real whisper from someone who isn’t guildie or friend. It’s always just “giev glod” or the gold sellers that whisper.

Of course the best solution would be if we just could get rid of gold sellers completely, but that is unlikely to happen.

Miss Lana.5276

I really don’t understand why there is always people who try to shoot something down or say “no” to things especially when it will have NO negative effect on the game. It really does make me wonder…….

Maybe they just like to argue for the sake of it?

It honestly wouldn’t surprise me in the least, unfortunately. Just because they’re not having issues regarding matter <x> doesn’t mean no one is having those issues. If it makes the issue-haver’s lives easier then why speak against it apart from the sake to argue? I’m sure there would be an option to opt-out if the option/s were implemented.

~~~

More pm customization is needed. I’m close to buying a new account for reasons I am too uncomfortable to mention here.

I was previously being harassed in-game, then someone found it funny to find my facebook profile and harassme there. As my account name was my irl name for a while, luckily customer support were able to change it, as well as my second account’s name.

But for those without this option who are still being harassed in-game by whomever, it’s still a bandaid on a festering wound to change options in the chat windows. I want privacy options that make me feel like I don’t have to work around people who constantly want to shove BUY MY GOLD AT WWW.THISWEBSITE.COM down my throat, or people who aren’t my guildies/friends pming me for handouts if I accidentally use ctrl instead of alt to split a stack.

~~~

I would love the option to accept whispers only from friends and guildies. I don’t even remember when was the last time I got a real whisper from someone who isn’t guildie or friend. It’s always just “giev glod” or the gold sellers that whisper.

Yep. Since posting this I’ve been pmed by numerous other gold sellers. If I don’t block them they just literally keep spamming me the same message over and over til my entire chat window is clogged with their messages – and this is in LA at peak chatting hours. Drowning out that is a feat in itself I guess :/ Next time I get spammed I’m gonna wait til they’re done, cap it and post it here. I wonder if they’ll actually stop on their volition.

I’m in a fractal LFG-type guild, and I welcome pms asking if I want to do runs. If I appear offline and want to do fractals I can’t receive those whispers, or see anyone posting about it in guild chat, therefore I miss out.

So long Treeface.

Paulytnz.7619

What some people don’t understand is depending on what you do in game you can easily become a target of these gold sellers and other spammers/nasties.

For example I notice that if I am playing SPvP and talking often in the map chat between matches (out of boredom, to help answer questions or whatever) you will soon become a target. The same can be said for if you are in a city crafting or whatever or just doing daily/map complete out in the world. Basically if you speak in chat often you can soon become a target.

This may not be a problem for people who just play wvw (less people to see you speaking since you can’t see the 2 enemy team’s chat), run dungeons all day or who are naturally quiet/shy in game or whatever. But for those of us who are vocal, usually because we like to help people this can soon become a problem.

Additional privacy options will in no way effect the game in a negative way. Oh you say but what if people need help and can’t whisper random people? Well there are other options, all they need to do is use their initiative. Such as:

1 – Ask in map chat.
2 – Ask people on their friends list.
3 – Come to the forums.
4 – Use the wiki or google.

There are plenty of options. For those of you who are saying make another chat window and block whispers. This is no answer. Why should I miss out on whispers from people who I want them from (friends) simply to just block out the nasties? Would you go and deafen yourself just to not listen to people who are annoying/loud or would you move away from these people and ignore them? Seems pretty extreme to me the latter.

Miss Lana.5276

What some people don’t understand is depending on what you do in game you can easily become a target of these gold sellers and other spammers/nasties.

For example I notice that if I am playing SPvP and talking often in the map chat between matches (out of boredom, to help answer questions or whatever) you will soon become a target. The same can be said for if you are in a city crafting or whatever or just doing daily/map complete out in the world. Basically if you speak in chat often you can soon become a target.

This may not be a problem for people who just play wvw (less people to see you speaking since you can’t see the 2 enemy team’s chat), run dungeons all day or who are naturally quiet/shy in game or whatever. But for those of us who are vocal, usually because we like to help people this can soon become a problem.

Additional privacy options will in no way effect the game in a negative way. Oh you say but what if people need help and can’t whisper random people? Well there are other options, all they need to do is use their initiative. Such as:

1 – Ask in map chat.
2 – Ask people on their friends list.
3 – Come to the forums.
4 – Use the wiki or google.

There are plenty of options. For those of you who are saying make another chat window and block whispers. This is no answer. Why should I miss out on whispers from people who I want them from (friends) simply to just block out the nasties? Would you go and deafen yourself just to not listen to people who are annoying/loud or would you move away from these people and ignore them? Seems pretty extreme to me the latter.

Not to mention the mentor masteries coming in HoT that will show new players who is actually willing to help them on map chat.

But yes now that you mention it about being vocal, that could definitely be the reason I’m being targeted so often and mercilessly. Generally I like to help out new players with info and such, sometimes even helping them start up their own guilds, and showing them how to get from one city to another – the basic stuff we take for granted most days. Whenever someone needs help, 9 times out of 10 if I’m in the map I’ll help them out.

Note: I’m not trying to boast about being helpful – just stating that I’m usually very chatty in /map and /say a lot of the time.

So long Treeface.

Paulytnz.7619

TBH it just boggles my mind we do not already have such privacy options. Anet are usually pretty good with the “prevention is better than the cure” mind set. Look at all the QOL things we have and just how the game is set up. No kill stealing, no competition for nodes etc. All these things are PREVENTATIVE rather than a cure for those old problems.

I also think that having such privacy issues may even help detect, remove gold sellers from the game. Think about it, if gold sellers soon see they have far less people they can contact for their adverts they will have to resort to the map chats. Sure it may be a tad more annoying to see more of these messages in map chat. However being they are displayed here there is a greater chance they will get reported and removed from the game.

Nothing more really needs to be said on the issue. But it would be great if you at least got some kind of reply from Anet. Even if to say, “thanks for your post/idea your concerns have been noted”. That would at least be something lol.

Miss Lana.5276

Nothing more really needs to be said on the issue. But it would be great if you at least got some kind of reply from Anet. Even if to say, “thanks for your post/idea your concerns have been noted”. That would at least be something lol.

Yeah, but with the way things have been going, as pessimistic as it sounds, I doubt I’d hear from them about this issue before HoT – if at all.

The only previous response I got was from Gaile saying something about the mail system, which had absolutely nothing to do with what I was talking about, as it was the same issue that I’ve brought up in this thread.

Even an “it’s being looked into” would suffice. Silence is an absolutely horrid way to handle PR in situations like this.

So long Treeface.

Posted by: Fhaeris.9237

Fhaeris.9237

Bumping the topic. There’s no privacy at all in this game, it’s pathetic.
Game is 3 years old already, Anet, it’s time you start fixing it.

Paulytnz.7619

Yeah, but with the way things have been going, as pessimistic as it sounds, I doubt I’d hear from them about this issue before HoT – if at all.

The only previous response I got was from Gaile saying something about the mail system, which had absolutely nothing to do with what I was talking about, as it was the same issue that I’ve brought up in this thread.

Even an “it’s being looked into” would suffice. Silence is an absolutely horrid way to handle PR in situations like this.

It’s funny you mentioned the mail system. As I was thinking if they did add these privacy options would it also effect mails? I would be fine if it did not as it would give players another option (along with the incoming mentor system you mentioned) with those I posted above if they do need help.

Funny enough with the whisper gold selling ads we also do get the mails from them too. So I think if these options were added they might just change more to the mails. Like I said I would be fine with that because you can usually ignore mails for a while if you are doing something atm (such as in the middle of a pvp match). But whispers, blah they can get in the way in said cases and usually you want to always take note of them when they come through.

We can be vigilant and hope they do take notice of this post and reply.

Miss Lana.5276

It’s funny you mentioned the mail system. As I was thinking if they did add these privacy options would it also effect mails? I would be fine if it did not as it would give players another option (along with the incoming mentor system you mentioned) with those I posted above if they do need help.

Funny enough with the whisper gold selling ads we also do get the mails from them too. So I think if these options were added they might just change more to the mails. Like I said I would be fine with that because you can usually ignore mails for a while if you are doing something atm (such as in the middle of a pvp match). But whispers, blah they can get in the way in said cases and usually you want to always take note of them when they come through.

We can be vigilant and hope they do take notice of this post and reply.

Yeah that is another can of worms. I know I can ignore mail for a while, as the only mail I do get is either from the store, my alt account, or people messaging me when I’m offline. Having them spam mail – for me personally – would not be as much of an issue as it is having them pm me.

That being said, I do also think that along with the whisper privacy options there should also be mailing privacy options for those whom it would affect.

Here’s hoping! -raises glass-

So long Treeface.

Posted by: Skady.5916

Skady.5916

Well, it would be nice to have Privacy settings, but keep in mind that those same Privacy settings could be a detriment to the game by keeping players from helping other players…just a thought to keep in mind when suggesting something like this.

You bringing a valid point and I think this is one of the reasons why nothing like this is implemented in the game.

How many players out there want to play with “no one can whisper me but I don’t want to miss out on guild chat” mode on? And maybe it is better for Anet to focus on goldseller bans instead of adding questionable functionality to the game?

A man of knowledge lives by acting, not by thinking about acting.
-Carlos Castaneda
Skady Valda

Paulytnz.7619

You bringing a valid point and I think this is one of the reasons why nothing like this is implemented in the game.

How many players out there want to play with “no one can whisper me but I don’t want to miss out on guild chat” mode on? And maybe it is better for Anet to focus on goldseller bans instead of adding questionable functionality to the game?

Questionable how so? Heaven forbid I can have the option of being able to block random people from whispering me! Wow just wow… No that would inconvenience other players too much!

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

I dont think the ocassional gold seller whispers are worth the dev time to implement this.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Miss Lana.5276

I dont think the ocassional gold seller whispers are worth the dev time to implement this.

Occasional? Did you see the first post? Read it, and check out the picture.

That is NOT “occasional”.

So long Treeface.

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

Occasional? Did you see the first post? Read it, and check out the picture.

That is NOT “occasional”.

I have this too, but it happens in short bursts and then is done again for some days. So not much of an issue

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Posted by: mcwurth.2081

mcwurth.2081

havent been spammed by gold sellers for like….. 6 months…. it isnt THAT big of an issue what a few extremes here and there.
just report block and be done with it, takes you literally 3 seconds.

Paulytnz.7619

havent been spammed by gold sellers for like….. 6 months…. it isnt THAT big of an issue what a few extremes here and there.
just report block and be done with it, takes you literally 3 seconds.

Maybe you don’t play PvP a lot? Trust me if you spend a few hours there each day and are chatty in map chat you become a target. Also did you guys know that they more than likely add your name to a list and as soon as they make a new account (or steal one more like) they will have that bot spam you. So again all we are asking for is a preventative.

Really I don’t now how such privacy options would effect you guys in any negative way. I should imagine it wouldn’t take much work to do either. Heck Runescape has had such a feature for the last 14 years. Anet are AAA devs and they can’t do it? Mind boggling….

Posted by: Branden Gee.2150

Previous

Branden Gee.2150

PvP Gameplay Programmer

So, essentially what you are asking for is a way to have options like “Receive Whispers”:

• From All
  • From Friends and Guild Members
  • From Friends
  • None

This seems like a reasonable feature request.
If Player A is on Player B’s friends list, but Player B isn’t on Player A’s friends list, how does that interaction work out?

Would this also extend out to things like mail?

(Please note this does not mean that this will happen, won’t happen, is planned to happen, and or not planned to happen)

Posted by: Becka Williams.4978

Becka Williams.4978

How about, if possible, another option for whispers from people on map, so that way if you want to help someone, they can whisper you, but only if they’re on the same map as you. As for if someone has me as friends, but I don’t have them as a friend, and I have “friends only” they can’t whisper me. I think extending it to mail might be a bad idea. I don’t get a lot of gold seller spam in my mail, so I don’t think that’s necessary, plus sometimes I mail people small amounts of gold to thank them for helping me and if they had it set up for friends only, I couldn’t do that.

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

So, essentially what you are asking for is a way to have options like “Receive Whispers”:

• From All
  • From Friends
  • None

If Player A is on Player B’s friends list, but Player B isn’t on Player A’s friends list, how does that interaction work out?

(Please note this does not mean that this will happen, won’t happen, is planned to happen, and or not planned to happen)

Friend Listing should have been mutual from the start. If I send a friend request to you, you should be prompted to accept, decline, or block me.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Posted by: Ignavia.7420

Ignavia.7420

• From All
  • From Friends
  • None

I think it should work similarly to blocking, just that it is whitelisting instead of blacklisting. So if player A is blocking player B, player A can still talk to player B, but not vice versa.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I don’t know if this would be possible, Branden, but could the “Friends and Guild Members” have an additional option, “Friends, Guild Members, and People I’ve Whispered During This Log In Session?”

I ask because I now and then find someone on the forums who needs help with LS or other things in game, I offer, and then we need to coordinate. I do tend to add them to Friends with a note as to what help they need, but sometimes it’s more I make a general offer “anyone needing help with X, nab me if I’m on” and then how do they nab me if I don’t have “All” enabled? … nvm silly question, I wouldn’t be whispering them first … still a bit more in the way of options could be good. Maybe add in “In Party” in case one needs to have a private aside with someone in the group.

Perhaps you could figure out which filters can be applied and then make them toggle boxes like we have for chat channels? Then each player could completely customize their permitted whisper sources.

Posted by: AlliedKhajiit.2794

AlliedKhajiit.2794

• From All
  • From Friends
  • None

These all sound like they’d be great additions. But there’s also one other thing that would take it a step further to really making the chat system feel good, and that would be filtering messages based on the text within them. I’m not sure how it would work out, but essentially, there’d be a list or something you can open in-game and add lines of text to it that would remove any message from a player that contains the blacklisted text.
For example, I add “best deal on gold” to the blacklist, then any messages that have those words in that order on it would automatically be removed from my chatbox, before I even see them. This would also make it less draining playing the game from the occasional player shouting incessantly about how bad the game is, balance sucking, etc etc, I just don’t want to see those messages, they promote nothing but negativity and it puts me in a negative mood, even if I do just block the person and forget they exist, because blocking somebody doesn’t let you un-see the things they said in the first place that led you to blocking them.

simplesimon.2084

• From All
  • From Friends
  • None

These all sound like they’d be great additions. But there’s also one other thing that would take it a step further to really making the chat system feel good, and that would be filtering messages based on the text within them. I’m not sure how it would work out, but essentially, there’d be a list or something you can open in-game and add lines of text to it that would remove any message from a player that contains the blacklisted text.
For example, I add “best deal on gold” to the blacklist, then any messages that have those words in that order on it would automatically be removed from my chatbox, before I even see them. This would also make it less draining playing the game from the occasional player shouting incessantly about how bad the game is, balance sucking, etc etc, I just don’t want to see those messages, they promote nothing but negativity and it puts me in a negative mood, even if I do just block the person and forget they exist, because blocking somebody doesn’t let you un-see the things they said in the first place that led you to blocking them.

And then you would get
Good deals on gold
Gold cheep
B3st deal on gold
And so on.

Posted by: uhohhotdog.3598

uhohhotdog.3598

Some spam filters on chat would be great

Posted by: AlliedKhajiit.2794

AlliedKhajiit.2794

• From All
  • From Friends
  • None

And then you would get
Good deals on gold
Gold cheep
B3st deal on gold
And so on.

Then add several different filters? People can’t see what your filters are, so bots can’t circumvent their messages being filtered. Block the name of the website that’s being advertised? What’s the bot going to do, replace letters in the name of the website with numbers? Then tell you to replace those numbers in the url with letters?
Maybe there could be different functions for the blacklist, like (Filter message if contains 3 or more words in no particular order, not case-sensitive: gold, cheap, xxx.xxx.com) and the list goes on. It’s shouldn’t be difficult to add a filter, it should be as simple as pressing a button on the contact screen, adding a line to a list, and boom, all those messages that fall under that blacklist are gone.

Posted by: JoshuaRAWR.4653

JoshuaRAWR.4653

Literally played browser based games with better chat options than GW2.

Warrior 80 | Guardian 80 | Ranger 80 | Engineer 80 |
Thief 80 | Elementalist 80 | Mesmer 80 | Necromancer 80 | Revenant TBA

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

• From All
  • From Friends
  • None

One reqestm that I whole heartedly support… I was already 3 years agio at release one of the first peopel that ever suggested, that this game needs alot more privacy, especialyl based on this obsolete and sensless feature of “Followers”…

GW2 is not a freakign Facebook Clone and it should never turn into one… this absurd idea about forcing upon everyones throat this “social media mentality” is just disgusting.

Yes, we all play an MMO and sense of it is it to play with many players together..

But this doesn’t mean that we as players also haven’t the right to protect our privacies in games.

Follower Lists are senseless, you should be either only a Friend, or not or blocked.
Thats more than enough to have as Player Lists..either you are a friend, or blocked.. theres no other reason in a game like this to be listed up on any other forms of lists that can be abused like the Follower List to stalk, in all means by its word – “follow” someone and in the end mob/harrass someone to the point, that they are forced to log off, if they want to get silence, cause of some sick people not stopping to annoy others out of boredem or other immature reasons

Gettign alot more privary options for Whispers would be already a HUGE step forward into making GW2 a better game.
The next step would be to expand these improvements upon the Mail System also too, that you can only receive Mails from friend, only from friends and guildies, from all, or none…

And finally… add an option that shows to all, none, your friends, or friends and guildies your Login Name and replace the login names of this forum with NICK NAMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This would be a good step forward it making it harder for account Hackers to get the login names ….

when we already are finally after 3 years at the point of having one of the responsible devs’s attention on this topic showing interest on the discussion at least, which is the reason why he had to write the last sentence to prevent any form of expectations/hopes coming up at the same time…

So lets see again in another 3 years, maybe then we have finally some privacy in this game …

PS: its really a no brainer that a feature like what the OP brings up again and was practicalyl requested from me already 3 years ago would have been the most easiest solution from begin on to easily handle instantly the whole problem around the Gold Spammers, because when only your FRIENDS can whisper you, theres instantly half the job done to get completely rid of this scum, because the only way how these peopel coudl spanm us full then would be the Map Chat…

Add then on top of that other limitations that cripple the typical gold sellers from spamming like:

• Test Week End Accounts can’t write whispers/ in map chat
  • New created Accounts can’t whisper/write in Map chat for the first 7 days

This way would become instantly abusing test accounts and hacking new accounts be unlucrative for gold sellers, because the game would completely prevent it then by easy mechanics, with that the game gives players options to pro actively protect themself, and with that the game would get pro active preventation mechanics, that stop instantly all gold sellers that abuse test accounts that you can easily recognize, cause they have like 0-350 AP or so ALWAYS

And with Authentificator, SMS protection ect. thats the other half of the medal, that everybody should use to actively protect yourself, so that gold sellers have no chance tpo hack your older accounts that would be then the only way how they could spam their gold seller garbage, because it would be the only accounts, that woudl be able to spam it in the map chats…

oh another little feature reqest.. please add the option to create PRIVATE CHAT ROOMS, that are password lockable, so that you can eacutally talk in privacy with multiple people, without that other peopole can read what you wreite… because whisper allows it only to communicate with 1 person at a time….

SO improving the whisper chat into a private room chat, that makes it possible to increase the amount of people that can read it, would be GREAT

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

(edited by Orpheal.8263)

Posted by: Thorquist.8126

Thorquist.8126

It’s pretty simple actually. Friends =/= followers. Should only work if both players are on each other’s list, i.e. game recognizes them as friends and not a friend and a follower.