Question about video card requirements (HoT)

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Sayuri.9541

Sayuri.9541

(Hope this is the right place to post)

So I’m gonna upgrade my computer to be able to play Heart of Thorns and I’m planning to get an Asus GeForce GT740 with 2gb (I have a limited budget). Game Debate gives it a rating of 4/10, with 118% performance on recommended requirements.

My boyfriend uses a AMD Radeon HD 6750 with only 500mb and gets 136% performance. How is this possible? I thought mine was supposed to be substantially better?

He plays at 20 to 30 fps and graphics-wise the game looks pretty decent. Would the GT 740 give me at least as much? Assuming I’ll be playing at like, 1920×1080, most likely.

Could anyone with experience help me out?

PS: Also, does HoT run well with Win10?

Thank you ~

Posted by: abomally.2694

abomally.2694

A GT740 is not a great gaming card. The second number (4) is what you want to look at with Nvidia cards. The higher that number, the better the performance.

For example, I have a GTX460SE and I get 60 FPS most of the time on high settings (except for the bottom 2 settings). For events with a lot of players around (such as the Arah event) I typically drop down to around 45 FPS.

Here’s the same card I have for $69 used (mine was used when I bought it):

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-PCI-Express-Graphics-01G-P3-1366-TR/dp/B004DKWLB4/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1467329903&sr=8-4&keywords=gtx460

Take a look around and find the latest series card (for Nvidia the first digit is the series) AND the highest 2nd digit you can find. Here’s a good deal – a GTX660 used starting at $115.99:

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-PCI-Express-Graphics-01G-P3-1366-TR/dp/B004DKWLB4/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1467329903&sr=8-4&keywords=gtx460

The GTX660 has about twice the performance of my GTX460SE.

Hope that helps.

Sayuri.9541

Hmmm, I see. Thanks; I’ll look into other options

By the way, for cooling purposes:

I have the default i5 Core 4460, + whatever I get from the video card + the system fan + a 700W PSU + the heat spreader on the Ripjaws memory (if that counts). Do you think that’s enough to comfortably run the game?
I could get an Arctic Freezer 13 if necessary.

Posted by: onevstheworld.2419

onevstheworld.2419

Unless you are overclocking, better CPU cooling makes almost no difference to your performance. If your system is actually overheating, the heatsink has probably dislodged and needs to be reseated. Otherwise, a quieter system is the only benefit your system will achieve. (your CPU can’t be overclocked, only Intel’s K or X rated ones can)

Regarding GPUs, the model or vram numbers are a terrible way to comparing performance between manufacturers or generations. Instead, have a look at http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html

Posted by: onevstheworld.2419

onevstheworld.2419

And yes, your CPU is more than enough for Gw2.

Posted by: crepuscular.9047

crepuscular.9047

I upgraded graphics card only on my rig from 680 to 980Ti, only 1-2 fps improvement with everything set to high

Ci7-4471 + Corsair Hydro H100i | EVGA GTX980Ti Hybrid | Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB | Samsung EVO PRO

Posted by: Loli Ruri.8307

Loli Ruri.8307

This game relies on CPU performance. The only time I can see a better GPU being important for this game is, if you are using things like ReShade with MasterEffect, or SweetFX, or some other post-processing graphical app. These apps do not touch the game files, so are considered usually as harmless.

Intel Core i7 4790K @4.7 GHz, 32 GB 2133 MHz DDR3.
MSI GTX 1080 Sea Hawk EK X 2xSLI 2025 / 11016 MHz, liquid cooling custom loop.
Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB. HTC Vive.

Posted by: Fermi.2409

Fermi.2409

This game relies on CPU performance. The only time I can see a better GPU being important for this game is, if you are using things like ReShade with MasterEffect, or SweetFX, or some other post-processing graphical app. These apps do not touch the game files, so are considered usually as harmless.

This game does like to have a decently beefy GPU to run well (I had an OC’d 7850 2 GB and that didn’t quite cut it), but in general, yeah, it takes more CPU horsepower.

On the topic at hand, what is the actual GPU budget? If it’s at tight as it seems, with you going after a 740, you’d most likely want to go used. Even if you don’t want to go used, you shouldn’t buy a 740; it provides absolutely terrible value for your dollar. Without knowing a dollar amount, at ~90-100 you could easily get a used 7950/280 or for $110-120 you can get a 7970 or 280x, both of which provide excellent performance for your dollar. Even new GTX 950s have been seen in the $100-120 range in the last couple of days

HAF 912 | i7-3770k @ 4.5 GHz | MSI GTX 1070 GAMING 8GB | Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
EGVA SuperNOVA B2 750W | 16 GB DDR3 1600 | Acer XG270HU | Win 10×64
MX Brown Quickfire XT | Commander Shaussman [AGNY]- Fort Aspenwood

Sayuri.9541

(Probably should have mentioned in the first post I’m European, for price purposes)

My initial budget was under 100€ for the GPU (store bought, from the place I’m getting all the other PC parts), but I actually had to replace the power supply so it suffered even more. Couldn’t find any of the suggested ones nowhere near my budget so I ended up going with the R7 250 (2GB), which I know is probably only a tiny little bit better than my initial choice but at least it was cheaper.

Probably also should have mentioned I’m not even a PC gamer so I’m not looking into anything even similar to your high-end, beast-like builds, lol; just looking to get about 30 fps with HoT for the lowest price possible, really.

But thanks for all the info and help, guys. Maybe one day I’ll invest in one of those illusive R9 or GTX960 ~