Should I update my Nvdia driver?

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: The Ice Mage.4879

The Ice Mage.4879

Q:

I just thought I’d ask about this since I’ve noticed various older threads about this and that Nvidia driver version causing problems in GW2…

I’m on an Alienware 14 laptop and my Nvidia driver currently seems to be version 331.65.
I got a notification a while back about an available update. The new version being offered is 344.65. Is there anybody around who would know how well GW2 fares with that driver?

Posted by: Feirlista Xv.1425

Feirlista Xv.1425

If the game is running ok on the current driver then there’s no need to update. if you are looking to get a performance boost from the new drivers probliby will not give you much if any, so if it no broke don’t fix it.

Opinions are like ______ everyone has one I could
put the correct term in but not everyone has kittens

Posted by: The Ice Mage.4879

The Ice Mage.4879

If the game is running ok on the current driver then there’s no need to update. if you are looking to get a performance boost from the new drivers probliby will not give you much if any, so if it no broke don’t fix it.

/sigh Fair enough. I wish companies developing drivers n stuff could just get their kitten together so that we could live in an ideal world where it’s not going to be like

>See driver update available
>"Ooohhh…gotta be careful, this could wreck my gaming experience…and it’s not like my current driver is broken anyway."

But rather…
>See driver update available
>Install it without hesitation because at the least it will give a minor performance boost.

Honestly, it would be so much better if drivers could have smoother releases so that people don’t have the attitude of “if it’s not broken, why update?” >.> I mean sure, without software in general even, you almost never see 100% bug free releases..but at least with some other products like browsers (on stable releases) you’re typically not gonna get an update and suddenly find out that said update has somehow utterly ruined or killed your browsing experience.

As a final note I’ll just say in advance: I am a student with a few years programming experience soo yes I can but imagine how mindnumbingly complex low level programming such as for drivers might get (esp. when having to account for different platforms, machines etc.) so obviously I don’t think good driver programming is as easy as print(“Hello World”) :P I also can but imagine that those who code these drivers surely have years more experience in coding than me though, but tbh I doubt driver programming is something I will pursue so I will just say I don’t want any big lectures on the intricacies or challenges of it..

Posted by: Ok I Did It.2854

Ok I Did It.2854

Its not that the current driver is broken, if you go to the Nvidia website, and look at the new drivers it will list things that it fixes/fixed/improves.

As for whether you should update or not, I personally run the 331.58 drivers, the once I had before this where horrible, and these where rock solid stable, I tried to update to newer ones and it was horrible again, so I rolled back, ive been on these drivers for well over a year now, and have had no issues ingame at all, or with anything else I play.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

You could just install the new drivers and if you notice any problems, simply rollback/uninstall and install the older version.

I’m currently running 344.75 without any issues. The software is only a part of the problem however. Hardware can also cause conflicts with new drivers, especially if its customized for laptops and isn’t standard.

Posted by: Flatley.1620

Flatley.1620

I personally am always wary of installing new drivers. I’m working fine with the 331.82’s so will stick with them until something breaks

i75820K@4.4ghz Noctua NHU14S GTX980TiSC
SoundblasterZ AsusX99Pro 512GBM2SSD 1TBSSD
3TBHDD 16gbRAM Corsair900D Win10Pro Corsair rmi1000w ethernet 100 down, 6 up

Posted by: Zalyn.9534

Zalyn.9534

344.65 sucked kitten for me; I got huge sheets of lavender or glowy white in front of zergs in WvW right as I was going in. It was like the graphics card just noped out of there when there were more than 5 things to render. I cleared and reinstalled 344.60 and things are fine again. What’s extra insulting is that 344.65 was marketed as “Assassin’s Creed: Unity” ready… lol.

Someone else installed 344.75 and seemed to be having problems as well. So I’m not updating until the next version gets an “all clear”.

If you do update, have a reversion plan in place.

Posted by: abomally.2694

abomally.2694

I’m running 344.75 with no issues. You could always try it and revert back if you experience problems.