Stolen Laptops

Stolen Laptops

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Acheleia.7159

Acheleia.7159

Q:

So my laptop running GW1 and 2 was stolen out of my apartment last night, as was my fiance’s. We both have 2 step authenticators, but were both logged in to our accounts with auto fill capabilities.

Is there any way to unlink our laptops from the clients without having to go through customer support/services? If we need to, we obviously will, but I’m not sure they are open given the holiday tomorrow.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Stolen Laptops

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

A:

Thanks.

It isn’t specific to computer. Your account information is not tied to any computer you use. Your computer got stolen, and that sucks. However, the theif would have to launch the game and then try to log in with auto fill. Chances are you already have at least email authentcaition enabled since you said you have 2 step autentication. So that would thwart that. Plus you changed your password so that helps as well.

That aside, it would not hurt to submit a support ticket and explain what happened. They work every day and from my experince get back very soon. They may ask you to change passwords/emails again.

Sorry you got robbed. That has happened to me before and it sucks.

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

Stolen Laptops

JustTrogdor.7892

CS works everyday and on holidays. You will have to submit a support request and wait for a response.

I’m not sure what you mean by your laptops are linked to your account. There are only 2 forms of authentication available, email authentication and mobile authentication. The later works through your cell phone. There is no computer specific form of authenication.

The Burninator

Stolen Laptops

Acheleia.7159

First of all, your signature is perfect. I love it.

We had our accounts auto-filled on our laptops, so it remembers your password and everything. I’ve already changed my password, as has he, but i was wondering if there was a way to turn that off from arenanet’s side, or if that was a thing specific to the computer.

Stolen Laptops

Acheleia.7159

Yeah thanks dude. It really does, someone found a key in my fiance’s car and let themselves into our apartment. Stole both our laptops, my nook and wallet, and a bunch of his music equipment for digital music. they also stole my kitten sunglasses, which made me more angry than my laptop, but I’ll survive. We’re out close to 5k. it’s a little ridiculous, but the area we live in has gotten really bad recently.
Thanks for the advice, since our passwords were changed I don’t think we’ll have an issue. It’s just finding out how to remotely log out of everything we were logged in to.

Stolen Laptops

JustTrogdor.7892

I understand. I came back from a trip to Europe several years ago to find my house ransaked. It took me a long time to deal with it. It wasn’t the monetary loss that got to me. It was the feeling of having my personal space vilolated.

The Burninator

Stolen Laptops

Acheleia.7159

That’s the feeling right now. We live on the third floor of an apartment complex, someone had to have been watching us or tried the other 23 doors first before finding ours. Our apartment was locked last night, and when we woke up, it wasn’t and our stuff was missing. My fiance’s car was also ransacked, and there was mud everywhere in it. Luckily it wasn’t a lot of my stuff, it was mostly his, but my bassoon was right next to my laptop, and my car keys were in plain sight. If they had stolen my bassoon I would be out for blood, but they didn’t. So everyone is safe. It’s a horrible feeling knowing someone we don’t know came into our home and took stuff while we were sleeping. I had been up about an hour before they came in, too.

Stolen Laptops

JustTrogdor.7892

I agree. It is very disturbing knowing someone unwanted has come into your personal space and even worse taken things from you. At least you are safe.

On a side note did you buy the HoT expansion?

The Burninator

Stolen Laptops

Acheleia.7159

Not yet, we’re still trying to recover everything since it did just happen. I just got a laptop that will play the game without serious lag, my old machine was a 2011 HP and ran it on lower mid settings. It wasn’t exactly pretty, but it ran. I was trying to hold out until I got a new laptop, and now that we have to replace all of this stuff, I don’t think we’ll get it for a while. I wish we could, I’ve been looking forward to the expansion and so has Xalarag since he heard about it.

Stolen Laptops

JustTrogdor.7892

Well if you are comfortable with it, PM me your email address and I’ll buy you the HoT upgrade (standard edition) and send you the code. I sympathise with you getting robbed so I would like to help.

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

Stolen Laptops

Acheleia.7159

It says I have to wait 2 days to send PM’s due to spam controls, so I’ll have to get back to you then.

Stolen Laptops

JustTrogdor.7892

Weird. I didn’t know that was in place for forum posts. How long have you had an account?

The Burninator

Stolen Laptops

Acheleia.7159

I’ve had GW1 since 2008, and had 2 since beta early release weekends, so quite a while.

Stolen Laptops

JustTrogdor.7892

Well if you can’t PM me for 2 days (never heard of that), my offer still stands when you can.

The Burninator

Stolen Laptops

Acheleia.7159

Thank you, really. I’ll message you in 2 days when this thing decides to stop being stupid. It might be because I’m logged in from a new computer and my account doesn’t like it. Always a possibility.

Stolen Laptops

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Very kind offer, JT.

Stolen Laptops

Posted by: Ok I Did It.2854

Ok I Did It.2854

Depending on where you are in the world, and how serious they take home robbery, ( on a potential upside, if the scumbag that stole your laptops, decides to nosey threw them, and tries to log onto GW2, if you have the authenticator in place, it will tell you there exact IP address, I wouldn’t think it be to hard for Police to trace then, providing its not a internet cafĂ© )

NOTE: incase you didn’t know, the authenticators will block there login to the game even if the password is saved as soon as it tries to log in from an unknown IP address.

Stolen Laptops

Posted by: bluestocking.6148

bluestocking.6148

I know it’s late for this, but if you didn’t have renter’s insurance, please look into getting it. It would cost us a fortune to replace all of our electronics so we’ve got a robust policy in place even though we practically live in Mayberry.

I am destruction itself. I also bake cookies.

Stolen Laptops

Acheleia.7159

I have renters insurance, however in big bold letters it states theft is not covered. So I’ve been paying for a crap policy for almost 2 years and am extremely angry due to all of the money lost. We’ve replaced my laptop, which was more dire than the other stuff since i’m in the middle of finishing my master’s thesis and trying to apply for jobs, but my fiance’s equipment was about 85% of what was originally stolen.

Stolen Laptops

Posted by: Muusic.2967

Muusic.2967

Adding Google authenticator to my android to secure my account was the best move i have made. My laptop has been stolen once and my email was hijacked twice but they never got past the authenticator.

I cannot recommend enough that you get it PLUS make sure that there is no copy of your serial key in your email folders or anywhere on a mobile device.

Be who you are and say what you feel for those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind
~Dr. Seuss

Stolen Laptops

Acheleia.7159

I have Google Authenticator for everything, even my Tumblr. So I think I should be alright. I just don’t want my credit card information floating around out there, I’ve already had identity theft once. Luckily, I have a company watching my account and identity since it was extremely recent (like tax season recent) so if anything were to be in my name I’d know about it before whoever stole it could blink twice.

Stolen Laptops

Posted by: Sgiobailte.1985

Sgiobailte.1985

Acheleia, good luck recovering from the robbery – I’ve been robbed twice and remember quite well that feeling of having personal space violated, not to mention the loss of material items.

JustTrogdor, you are a very kind and generous human, an angel really.

Stolen Laptops

Posted by: bluestocking.6148

bluestocking.6148

Oh, man Acheleia I’m sorry. That is a crappy policy.

I am destruction itself. I also bake cookies.

Stolen Laptops

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

You can log in to the MY ACCOUNT > SECURITY on this site and remove all authorized networks. Then ANY log in would trigger the authentication you have set up

Keep in mind that if they get into your users, they have access to the browsers that store all your saved passwords…. (they have to know your log in PW to display them, however).

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

(edited by Brother Grimm.5176)