ToS related question about gifting item

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: WizardLizard.9348

WizardLizard.9348

I plan on buying The Flameseeker Prophecies on the Trading post and gifting it (via in game mail) to my wife but I don’t know if that is against ToS. I know GW2 is very strict regarding items buying and selling outside the trading post (with real money) so I don’t want to get any of us in trouble by doing so (The transaction might look sucpicious on her end since she would only be recieving the shield).

Is it possible ? Thanks a lot for your answers !

Posted by: Ellieanna.5027

Ellieanna.5027

If you and her send stuff back and forth a lot, they will see that. Also, they will see that you share an IP access to the game, and most likely play together.

Worst case, if you do get flagged for whatever reason (or her). You both can send in a ticket, and they will see it as a false positive and correct it. Since it’s just a gift, and it’s not like you’re sending 3-4k valuved items daily out.

I’m a Moose, a ginger moose even.

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

The Transaction should look less suspicious if you’re just sending the shield. If she were sending back a large amount of gold that would look suspicious. You should be fine!

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

The Transaction should look less suspicious if you’re just sending the shield. If she were sending back a large amount of gold that would look suspicious. You should be fine!

Actually, it’s fine to trade high ticket items with other players. People do barter to avoid TP fees, sometimes among friends, sometimes strangers. It’s not ‘supported’, which means that if one of the parties fails to deliver, ANet won’t recover the plaintiff’s assets (although, if the ‘theft’ is reported, ANet will take appropriate action against the scammer).

On occasion, though, ANet’s automated systems create a false positive and the humans reviewing the transactions don’t catch that, in which case a person gets suspended for an otherwise legit action. In such cases, the player should appeal via support ticket. Resolving appeals is as much a matter of how the player words their ticket as of the “facts”, e.g. polite works better than rude. Further, sometimes the first person to review the appeal isn’t aware of all the complications around such suspensions, so I also recommend persistence and patience.

To summarize:

• Sending gifts is well within the ToS.
  • Trading via email is also ‘allowed’ (it’s just “unsupported”, so there’s no protection versus scamming).
  • It’s against the ToS to trade in-game assets for non-game assets, including gold selling or trading a GW2 shiny for a shiny in another game.
  • Mistakes happen, so appeal (politely) if you get falsely suspended, ensuring you get an appropriate escalation.
John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

-snip-

Apologies, I didn’t mean to say that doing that wasn’t ok. I meant that it looks far more suspicious, and far more likely to return a false positive, than just sending someone a gift with nothing returned in exchange.

Posted by: WizardLizard.9348

WizardLizard.9348

Thanks for the answer. I assumed gifting was not an issue but well, better safe than sorry

Posted by: Ellieanna.5027

Ellieanna.5027

Yeah, it shouldn’t be. But things happen, people are human and will make mistakes.

If they do ban either of you, just politely send in a ticket, explain what happened, and they will fix it. They are really good at correcting their mistakes.

I’m a Moose, a ginger moose even.