Video Settings Affect CPU Bottleneck

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Ilithis Mithilander.3265

Ilithis Mithilander.3265

Hey Everyone,

Let me preface this with that I’m not looking to upgrade my CPU, yes it’s old, yes it’s not optimal for GW2, but GW2 is the only game I play where there is extremely heavy CPU bottlenecks.

That aside, has anyone done some testing to see which video settings seem to affect framerate during a CPU intense (bottleneck) scenario, like in zergs? My old GTX 560Ti-448 left me bottlenecked on both sides of the equation at times, but with my GTX 970 there is plenty of breathing room on the GPU side. I currently run everything at “all thrusters go” and it works alright in most instances. I’m just looking for a shortcut to see what affects the CPU the most before going into my own testing.

Danke,

Ilithis

Primary Guild: Testing Eternity [TE]
Chloe (Version 3):
[i7 930 @ 4.1Ghz (1.3875V) w/Cooler Master 120M][Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (stock)]

Posted by: Sandpit.3467

Sandpit.3467

Character Model Limit and Render Sampling

Posted by: dodgycookies.4562

dodgycookies.4562

shadows and reflections

[ICoa] Blackgate

Posted by: dodgycookies.4562

dodgycookies.4562

also high rez character models

[ICoa] Blackgate

Posted by: ikereid.4637

ikereid.4637

Hey Everyone,

Let me preface this with that I’m not looking to upgrade my CPU, yes it’s old, yes it’s not optimal for GW2, but GW2 is the only game I play where there is extremely heavy CPU bottlenecks.

That aside, has anyone done some testing to see which video settings seem to affect framerate during a CPU intense (bottleneck) scenario, like in zergs? My old GTX 560Ti-448 left me bottlenecked on both sides of the equation at times, but with my GTX 970 there is plenty of breathing room on the GPU side. I currently run everything at “all thrusters go” and it works alright in most instances. I’m just looking for a shortcut to see what affects the CPU the most before going into my own testing.

Danke,

Ilithis

Best thing to do is select your resolution/refresh rate you want, then set every other option to lowest, and increase each option until your FPS drops down to where you feel its acceptable. open world and Zerg content will yeild different results.

Desktop: 4790k@4.6ghz-1.25v, AMD 295×2, 32GB 1866CL10 RAM, 850Evo 500GB SSD
Laptop: M6600 – 2720QM, AMD HD6970M, 32GB 1600CL9 RAM, Arc100 480GB SSD

Posted by: undouble.1472

undouble.1472

I’m running an Athlon 631 (4 core) and have not seen any “problems” running GW2—————-aside from the normal “slow” upload of graphics in LA.

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

Turn down those WvW character limit + Quality to LOW aswell.

That’s for zerging but it works in pve aswell,like when theres 50 ppl on your screen they wont be all shown in high quality but rather a few of them,it doesnt break immersion or lowers the overal quality ofthe game whatsoever.Its a huge boost in fps for zerg events/wvw etc,can also prevent crashing.