What is wrong with the .161 server

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

Why is the …..161 server so bad and most players seem to know how bad it is??
Why is anet not doing anything about it if true?

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

I’m sorry but what on earth is a 161 server? Not even google seems to know what you’re talking about…

Posted by: knives.6132

knives.6132

Are you talking about the ip address of a server? xx.xx.xx.161? or something else?

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

If you’re on it now, what’s the full IP?

Posted by: Conaywea.5062

Conaywea.5062

I agree with him , we were doing Golem in the world boss train and big lag spikes appeared on everyone , and then someone says " Oh yeah , server ip : 161" and that was like the “Oh then that is happening”

I wonder the same , why people know the ip that lags alot and why alot of them know about it

Posted by: Nate Anabe.6091

Nate Anabe.6091

64.25.38.161:0

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
—Napoleon Bonaparte

Blude.6812

/ip in chat and if it has xx.xx.161 in it, you are on it—-it has a rep for being a laggy server, lots of discconnects, spikes etc. Many players seem to be aware of it.
Full ip doen’t matter Healix
Disconnected during golem, got back to get chest, dc’d next at Maw—-lost chests and award as well as super laggy.
Left the game entirely/ restarted and got on different server (again used /ip in chat)
xx.xxx. 15 something and lag, spikes dc’s were gone.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Yes it does, for debugging purposes. I assumed it was 64.25.38.161, but GW2 uses more than just 64.25.38, so I thought there could be more than one, but that doesn’t seem to be the case.

While hopping servers a few days ago, I got onto the 161 server in Silverwastes and experienced the lag spikes. Chat was also commenting on the dreaded 161 server. I didn’t bother testing the connection however (ping, wireshark, etc), but from what I saw, the server would stop sending packets every few minutes, though it would still receive them. It’s likely that the server either has bad hardware, a bad configuration or is simply overloaded. It could just be a rarely used overflow server (compared to the others) for example, so they might not have a big enough incentive to fix it.

Blude.6812

Yes it does, for debugging purposes. I assumed it was 64.25.38.161, but GW2 uses more than just 64.25.38, so I thought there could be more than one, but that doesn’t seem to be the case.

While hopping servers a few days ago, I got onto the 161 server in Silverwastes and experienced the lag spikes. Chat was also commenting on the dreaded 161 server. I didn’t bother testing the connection however (ping, wireshark, etc), but from what I saw, the server would stop sending packets every few minutes, though it would still receive them. It’s likely that the server either has bad hardware, a bad configuration or is simply overloaded. It could just be a rarely used overflow server (compared to the others) for example, so they might not have a big enough incentive to fix it.

Thanks for sharing possible reasons for the malfunctioning server.
You are right, you would need the whole ip to test. I simply meant the rest of the ip wasn’t necessary with regards knowing if you were on the dreaded server. If you saw the 161—you are on it and will experience problems.
As for incentive, if it is broken, for what ever reason, Anet has customers using it and really have no choice but to address it.
I assume the only way players can deal with it is to see what server they are on when they start the game, then shut down and retsart the game if they are on 161 and hope that they will join a different server.

Posted by: Sleepwalker.1398

Sleepwalker.1398

Myself and many others have brought this server name in below mentioned thread as having problems.
Its not fixed yet so always check IP before you go into those hardcore bosses (Teq especially).

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/tech/Latency-Lag-for-EU-Players-merged/page/7

Posted by: Kuju.2153

Kuju.2153

Was just doing fractals. We did the first 3 just fine. Of course we get Mai for the end boss on this .161 server. Everybody would randomly lag and die in the aoe phase.

Posted by: StinVec.3621

StinVec.3621

Others have also noticed issues with the 64.25.38.161:0 server IP. There is a discussion about this server in this recent thread I saw in the Bugs sub-forum:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/Breaking-hardware

| [“I’d really like this…” — Resource for Gifting Strangers] |
| [Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs (and 1st Try Dive Tips)] |
| [Classic Thread: “all is vain”] |

Blude.6812

Checked out the various links to threads about this.
Obviously the powers that be don’t seem to give a darn and appear to be ignoring the concerns.

Posted by: Gambit.8425

Gambit.8425

Please stop spreading these kinda rumors that only add to the confusion. I’ve currently been on a .68 and a .122 server and both where equally laggy as their other servers. It seem to be related to prime time, so probably an overloaded switch somewhere, like the last time it happened to this game.

Blude.6812

Please stop spreading these kinda rumors that only add to the confusion. I’ve currently been on a .68 and a .122 server and both where equally laggy as their other servers. It seem to be related to prime time, so probably an overloaded switch somewhere, like the last time it happened to this game.

Not a rumor, it has only happened to me (and many others) on a 161 as well as out side of prime time.
Others servers have not been a problem in my experience, just this specific server (other than the ddos attacks). Perhaps if you are having problems on a variety of servers the problem lies elsewhere for you.

Posted by: Geekfox.4267

Geekfox.4267

This probably explains why Blackgate’s Caledon Forest was literally disconnecting everyone off the map on some game builds before ANet introduced Megaservers back in April. The map instance was probably on that *.161 IP address and could not take it when the blob throws all kinds of hits and magic on that Great Jungle Wurm.

That *.161 server still lurks around.

(edited by Geekfox.4267)

Posted by: Shaaba.5672

Shaaba.5672

I was playing Silver Wastes last night and experiencing bad lag and rubberbanding beyond what I normally experience here and there. I checked the IP and yes, it was .161. The lag was borderline unplayable for an extended period of time. I only stayed because we were close to a breach and as soon as it was over I ported onto a different map and it was much better.

Posted by: Kupper.8074

Kupper.8074

Was just on a SW map, .161. NA Jade Quarry, 7:45 Est pm very laggy many players reporting similar issues.

JQ – The ‘veggie’ Knight
Berserker = Skilled http://i.imgur.com/g1rkIub.jpg
Never forget – http://i.imgur.com/Oxra9sj.jpg

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

Note that there were several reports over the past few months of specific PLAYERS causing massive lag issues on the entire server they were logged into at the time. I can’t recall the details nor if any corrections were made but it seemed to be related to the actual PLAYER ACCOUNT (as any of their characters seemed to cause the issue).

There were several threads on this forum regarding the issue (the player was reporting it and apparently working with Support to solve the problem). I have no idea if it was ever resolved or what the status currently is but it sounded like a very rare and isolated type of issue effecting only this players account. If this were an actual issue (and it sounded legit to me), it could obviously happen to other players accounts and they might not realize what was happening.

I’d spend time searching for the threads if the forum search feature actually worked….

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Posted by: StinVec.3621

StinVec.3621

Note that there were several reports over the past few months of specific PLAYERS causing massive lag issues on the entire server they were logged into at the time. I can’t recall the details nor if any corrections were made but it seemed to be related to the actual PLAYER ACCOUNT (as any of their characters seemed to cause the issue).

There were several threads on this forum regarding the issue (the player was reporting it and apparently working with Support to solve the problem). I have no idea if it was ever resolved or what the status currently is but it sounded like a very rare and isolated type of issue effecting only this players account. If this were an actual issue (and it sounded legit to me), it could obviously happen to other players accounts and they might not realize what was happening.

I’d spend time searching for the threads if the forum search feature actually worked….

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/Character-causing-mapwide-lag/4457597

Was eventually resolved.

| [“I’d really like this…” — Resource for Gifting Strangers] |
| [Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs (and 1st Try Dive Tips)] |
| [Classic Thread: “all is vain”] |

Blude.6812

Based on all the Anet reponses to this and similar threads, I have reached the conclusion that it will never be addressed or fixed. What ever the reason.