Will have to reinstall my laptop Windows OS

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Loli Ruri.8307

Loli Ruri.8307

The game fails to boot. Reinstalling didn’t do anything. Repair didn’t work. Reinstalling drivers don’t fix the problem. So the only option left is to reinstall Windows. Unless somebody else has some brilliant suggestions. :o

The game just hangs in the task manager and does nothing. At least the client launcher works. But that’s about it.

Intel Core i7 4790K @4.7 GHz, 32 GB 2133 MHz DDR3.
MSI GTX 1080 Sea Hawk EK X 2xSLI 2025 / 11016 MHz, liquid cooling custom loop.
Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB. HTC Vive.

Posted by: MAPO.5274

MAPO.5274

Are you getting the Connection error(s) detected. Retrying.. ? I’ve been getting that since the March 22th patch and can’t seem to fix it in any way. It’s super frustrating.

Loli Ruri.8307

No.
It would load up the EXE, but not make any progress to start. It would just idle in the Task Manager.

I have decided to take up the advice online, to reinstall the laptop’s operating system. All the other suggestions to fix it did not work. The computer refused to let the game work. I’m actually quite computer savvy, and yet I was baffled at how much trolling Guild Wars 2 was doing.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

There have been problems in the past with laptops having a dedicated and integrated GPU. If this is the case, ensure that GW2 is using the dedicated GPU.

If you haven’t done so already, delete your local settings by deleting the folder
%appdata%/Guild Wars 2/ and if it exists, Documents/Guild Wars 2/Local.dat. You can also try to force windowed mode with the option: Gw2.exe -windowed

If Windows updated your graphics drviers when this happened, uninstall the drivers first, then clean install an older version.

Since Gw2.exe can only be opened once, ensure that any existing Gw2.exe processes are killed first.

Loli Ruri.8307

I reinstalled windows, still doesn’t run. And yeah I already tried those things Healix. ONly one I have not tried is -windowed. Let’s see. It didn’t work.

Keep in mind, when I reinstalled windows, I nuked the computer by formatting and then using an ISO image to install a new copy of windows 10 onto the laptop.

(edited by Loli Ruri.8307)

Loli Ruri.8307

I don’t know how to proceed. Reinstalling didn’t work, reinstalling drivers didn’t work, using all sorts of extension commands didn’t work, reinstalling windows clean install didn’t work, making sure the nvidia gpu is working didn’t work. What do I do?

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

To confirm, you tried forcing the nvidia GPU (as in opening the control software and switching it from automatic detection and/or by adding a profile for Gw2.exe to specify its settings – you may also need to setup CoherentUI_Host.exe)? Alternatively, if supported, you can try booting into the bios to disable the integrated GPU.

There was a problem in past, which probably doesn’t apply anymore, where the launcher wouldn’t render depending on the monitor’s color settings. You can try changing it either under windows or nvidia.

Have you tried compatibility mode, trying Windows 7 and 8?

You can use the Gw2.exe -diag option to run through a diagnostic.

As a workaround, you can try bypassing the launcher using the options:
-nopatchui -email you@example.com -password example

Have you tried running a clean copy of Gw2.exe? Make a new folder on your desktop, download Gw2Setup.exe into that folder, rename Gw2Setup.exe to Gw2.exe and run it.

If you restored your Windows user account, try creating a new clean one to run Gw2.exe.

If you ran through Windows update after re-installing Windows, it’s possible that one of the updates is causing the problem.

Loli Ruri.8307

Reinstalling DirectX fixed this issue for me. Go figure…..