Windows 8.1 UAC annoyance

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: DanteZero.9736

DanteZero.9736

So before the Tuesday (Jan. 13th) update, everything was fine and the windows 8.1 UAC wouldn’t pop up when launching GW2. When I tried to download the update the moment the patch was up, of course there were server issues so I couldn’t properly update. I thought it was no problem so I opened the task manager and closed the GW2 application and all processes associated with it since I kept on getting connection errors and clicking the “x” button wouldn’t close the launcher.

That’s when the UAC started popping up. Now everytime I launch GW2, the annoying UAC window pops up asking if I want to allow GW2 to make changes. So far, I have tried a repair install and updating my graphics card drivers. As for uninstalling and reinstalling GW2, my current internet connection would mean it would take days for me to redownload all the data.

Does anyone have any advice or know what to do?

Posted by: ikereid.4637

ikereid.4637

So before the Tuesday (Jan. 13th) update, everything was fine and the windows 8.1 UAC wouldn’t pop up when launching GW2. When I tried to download the update the moment the patch was up, of course there were server issues so I couldn’t properly update. I thought it was no problem so I opened the task manager and closed the GW2 application and all processes associated with it since I kept on getting connection errors and clicking the “x” button wouldn’t close the launcher.

That’s when the UAC started popping up. Now everytime I launch GW2, the annoying UAC window pops up asking if I want to allow GW2 to make changes. So far, I have tried a repair install and updating my graphics card drivers. As for uninstalling and reinstalling GW2, my current internet connection would mean it would take days for me to redownload all the data.

Does anyone have any advice or know what to do?

Make sure you are not running GW2 with admin privileges. There is a check box for it under the shortcut/exe compatibility properties. That will trigger the UAC every time, unless you disable the UAC.

Desktop: 4790k@4.6ghz-1.25v, AMD 295×2, 32GB 1866CL10 RAM, 850Evo 500GB SSD
Laptop: M6600 – 2720QM, AMD HD6970M, 32GB 1600CL9 RAM, Arc100 480GB SSD

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

How is your windows UAC settings an Anet / GW2 issue? Run as Admin or disable UAC.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances