buying external hardrive.

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Xanctus The Dragonslayer.2318

Xanctus The Dragonslayer.2318

Hello guys. So appearantly the new expanasion is gonna require atleast 50 gigabytes. my old ass computer can still support the game according to the can i run it website but i do not have enough space left so I have to buy an external hardrive.

However since I’m not quite versed in computers and what works. I kinda would like to know what I should be looking for in terms of increasing storage space so that I can run the game smoothly without any troubles.

What hardrive should i be looking for?
Are they any differences playing from an external drive i should be aware off?
(prolly dumb question) Can I just move the icon to the hardrive and gw2 works fine or do i need to reinstall it?

All answers are appreciated? btw i live in the EU and use Euro’s as currency.

I’d love to hear a developers take on this.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

You should first see how much space you’re wasting. Under Computer, right click your drive and choose disk cleanup, then run through it. Look in the %temp% and c:\windows\temp\ folders. You can also disable restore points and hibernate.

If it’s an older computer, you probably don’t have USB3 ports, so an external drive is going to be a lot slower to load things. Longer loading screens and invisible stuff that hasn’t loaded yet that pops up seconds later for example.

You should first see how much space you’re wasting. Under Computer, right click your drive and choose disk cleanup, then run through it. Look in the %temp% and c:\windows\temp\ folders. You can also disable restore points and hibernate.

If it’s an older computer, you probably don’t have USB3 ports, so an external drive is going to be a lot slower to load things. Longer loading screens and invisible stuff that hasn’t loaded yet that pops up seconds later for example.

just checked and cleaned the unnesisary stuff. still 33 gb the computer says. it it also possible to buy usb3 ports?

Healix.5819

it it also possible to buy usb3 ports?

It can be done by adding a PCI Express card, assuming you have a slot.

it it also possible to buy usb3 ports?

It can be done by adding a PCI Express card, assuming you have a slot.

where should i look on my computer (HP Pavilion 2054 sd) to see if there is a slot for the pci express card?

Healix.5819

where should i look on my computer (HP Pavilion 2054 sd) to see if there is a slot for the pci express card?

Find your computer’s specifications (https://support.hp.com). If it happens to be the g7-2054sd notebook, it already has USB3 ports. USB3 ports are generally blue or labeled with USB3 or the SS USB logo. You can also look for the extra pins in the back of a USB3 port.

If that wasn’t your computer, but your computer is a laptop, USB3 can only be added to laptops with a USB3 ExpressCard, which requires an open expansion slot. If you have one, it should be visible on the side and is roughly the size of a few credit cards stacked on top of each other. Without that slot, it’s not possible to add one to a laptop.

If your computer isn’t a laptop, the PCI Express slot is found on the motherboard, which requires opening the case. Simply lookup the specifications to find out.

While you’re at it, look for a eSATA or eSATA+ port. It’s basically an external version of how you would connect a drive internally.