e-Mail from "ArenaNet?" Please read! [merged]

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Lexandro.1456

Lexandro.1456

Phishing email, ignore it, delete it and put sender on block list.

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

Feel free to check out our A Note about Phishing thread above, for more information.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

Bump to keep this visible for everyone.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Posted by: Zackie.8923

Zackie.8923

man i ever received such an email for my runescape acount and i ignored it… but my account really got deleted.

tried to get it back but nothing works. their password retrieval is the worst i have seen.

and the rest is history. now playing gw2.

Posted by: nekokun.4968

nekokun.4968

I got a strange email from arenaNet is this for real?
Guild Wars Account Will Be Shut Down Inform

We are sorry to inform you that your login account will be shut down or partially limited within 72 hours due to currency transactions or abnormal login. If you want to remove restrictions, please click the following link to validate:

Guild Wars 2 Team

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

That’s a phishing email. There is a stickied thread with that one and several others if you want to read more here . Just trash it and don’t click on that link.

And remove that link so no one else clicks on it.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

You should immediately remove your log-in information from your post. That is half of the information needed to compromise your account.

Posted by: Darkunov.9165

Darkunov.9165

Hello,

I’ve just noticed I apparently received an email from ArenaNet, signed by GM Cuache, which is as follows :

Greetings

_We are sorry to inform you that your login account [email address] will be shut down or partially limited within 72 hours due to currency transactions or abnormal login. If you want to remove restrictions, please click the following link to validate:
[redacted]

We will investigate into this case through verifying the account’s ownership. If the verification goes through, we will cancel any restriction.

Please keep in mind that Guild Wars 2 is a global game with hundreds of thousands of players. This means that standards of behavior must be upheld. For your convenience, you can obtain more information about our rules at the address listed below.

[redacted]

GM Cuache
Guild Wars 2 Support Team

The need to click on a link seems suspicious enough, and Cuache (or any other GM name) doesn’t ring any bell. I haven’t bought anything from the store and didn’t receive any unauthorized authentication emails in the last couple of months. Of course, I don’t want my account suspended/banned. Considering I’m kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place, I figured the safest thing to do was ask around on here.

Can someone please enlighten me?

Edited out the links as you asked. For posterity, both links started with https, which usually means it’s encrypted, or secure. Now I/you know it’s not always the case. Thanks!

(edited by Darkunov.9165)

Posted by: ShiningSquirrel.3751

ShiningSquirrel.3751

No, is a fishing scam.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/account/Email-from-ArenaNet-Please-read-merged

Please remove those links from your post to protect other users.

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Got this in my junk email recently.

Scam?

Attachments:

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

Posted by: Nate Anabe.6091

Nate Anabe.6091

Got this in my junk email recently.

Scam?

Yep

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
—Napoleon Bonaparte

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

Sorry for the scam emails, guys. There’s really nothing we can do, when they spoof “us” as sender. But it’s good to keep an eye on this thread, so I’m hoping we can keep it on the front page.

Please remember that THIS thread is the best source of info, including tasty… well, not so tasty… samples!

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Posted by: Caprica.2435

Caprica.2435

Hello Gaile, I understand you guys can’t prevent this from happening, but can you at least take extra measures against it? For example, I was sent this message yesterday and unfortunately I’ve sent them my serial and a name of my character when I was asked to as I believed it to be real until I saw the 404 page with chinese letters all around when I tried to log in, I contacted support immediately before any hacking attempt even took place and I’m still waiting for responses…

However when I opened a thread regarding this last night, it was deleted and the forum mod gave me an official warning and warned me that I could get banned for this sort of thing, for “sharing personal info” to be specific, which I haven’t done… Now that I don’t understand. Please tell me how are we supposed to know which is real and which isn’t when even the real mods treat us this way with almost no explanation..? I was simply asking for assistance or maybe some advice from both mods and players who’ve had this sort of thing… I’m the victim here, or soon to be victim.

sender: ArenaNet (noreply@guildwars2.com)

Greetings

We are sorry to inform you that your login account [EMAIL LINK] will be shut down or partially limited within 72 hours due to currency transactions or abnormal login. If you want to remove restrictions, please click the following link to validate:
[LINK]

We will investigate into this case through verifying the account’s ownership. If the verification goes through, we will cancel any restriction.

Please keep in mind that Guild Wars 2 is a global game with hundreds of thousands of players. This means that standards of behavior must be upheld. For your convenience, you can obtain more information about our rules at the address listed below.

[LINK]

GM Cuache

Edit: I’ve got a reply from support and looks like they’ll change my email address with my confirmation, would that be enough really? Can’t the hacker simply send you a ticket and report the account stolen and then provide MY serial key and a name of my characters to get access to it?

(edited by Caprica.2435)

Posted by: Slacker.3490

Slacker.3490

Is there any way I can block these emails without blocking your LEGIT emails?
First thing I see in the morning today is that my account has been suspended for 72 hours, which was false. After I have logged in successfully and the quit I get another false email…

Posted by: Pelinal Inventius.3548

Pelinal Inventius.3548

I received this email. I doubt it is legit, as it came in the spam folder.

“We are sorry to inform you that your login account [redacted] will be shut down or partially limited within 72 hours due to currency transactions or abnormal login. If you want to remove restrictions, please click the following link to validate:
https://account.guildwars2.com/login/allow?token=E553ABxx-4825-4E6C-A278-00A2C6C305A9.html

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/legal/

GM Cuache

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Yep. That one has been around awhile. It’s best to remove the links when posting as someone may click on them.

If you want to see more samples you can read this thread: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/account/A-Note-about-Phishing-Emails-1

Posted by: Pelinal Inventius.3548

Pelinal Inventius.3548

Thanks for the reply. And I left out a few of the numbers on the link, so it won’t hurt to click on it.

Posted by: DarkDawg.2538

DarkDawg.2538

I’m so glad this was posted, i too got this email and had a lil panic. Thanks for putting my mind at ease!

ShiningSquirrel.3751

Posted by: hobotony.1078

hobotony.1078

hi i keep getting these

ArenaNet (noreply@guildwars2.com)
Greetings!

It will be ongoing for further investigation by ArenaNet’s employees.

We are concerned about whether your account has been stolen. In order to guarantee the legitimacy of your account, click the link below.
https://account.guildwars2.com/account/login-support.html
Once your account authentication has been completed, we will check your account and let you know what we can do for you.

Need help or have questions about your account? Visit our support site: http://support.guildwars2.com/.

The Guild Wars 2 Team
is this real or fake ? because i use my account everyday and i dont feel it has been hacked O.O

Inculpatus cedo.9234

It’s just a phishing email. There’s a sticky about them where you can find that one. Just delete.

Posted by: Polarthief.5394

Polarthief.5394

So normally when I receive junk mail, ESPECIALLY about my game accounts, I just ignore it, but this one seems to be legitimate and now I’m worried. Posting below with any/all links removed for others’ safety:

Greetings

We are sorry to inform you that your login account (MY EMAIL REMOVED) will be shut down or partially limited within 72 hours due to currency transactions or abnormal login. If you want to remove restrictions, please click the following link to validate:
(LINK REMOVED)

(LINK REMOVED)

GM Cuache

Anyway, could I please get a staff member to confirm that an email WAS in fact sent to my account? Also, I haven’t played since near launch, but I’m very protective of my game accounts. I don’t know what to do because I haven’t done anything, so why is my account being shut down? (If this e-mail, is, in fact, legit).

Thanks for your time

Posted by: Jayne.9251

Jayne.9251

L’enfer, c’est les autres

Polarthief.5394

The problem though is this is an email like one I’ve never seen before. I get stuff LIKE this all the time, saying “OMG YOU’RE SELLING YOUR ACCOUNT, ENTER YOUR PASSWORD NOW TO PROTECT IT” or some dumb stuff like that, but the way this one is worded is unlike any other, which is why it has me so confused. Not to mention, I actually DID get a legit email from them just after (for trying to login from an unauthorized location apparently, despite being the only one I’ve ever logged into from), and it looked to be the exact same in terms of sender, style, etc., which is why I don’t think this one is a fake.

I think it might also be worth mentioning that apparently, there were TWO authorized locations on my account; this one that I just now added and another one also in my state, but supposedly not me, yet, like I said, I’ve NEVER logged onto the forums nor the game anywhere besides this location.

Jayne.9251

Did you click the link in the email?

If so, submit a support ticket. Likely you’ve been phished.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/account/A-Note-about-Phishing-Emails-1/first#post2535375

Click on this link as it will take you to a copy of your letter in the Phishing Email sticky.

Polarthief.5394

Did you click the link in the email?

If so, submit a support ticket. Likely you’ve been phished.

I did not for the off-chance that it’s in fact a fake, but I still don’t think it is; I’m just skeptical to click ANY link in an e-mail without confirming it’s legitimacy.

Posted by: bluestocking.6148

bluestocking.6148

The email is not legit. There are examples of that identical email in the linked thread. ArenaNet doesn’t warn you before they shut down your account; if you’ve done something wrong they just suspend you.

As for the second authorized location, is it Texas by any chance? When you log into the forums it often shows an IP in Texas, where those servers are.

I am destruction itself. I also bake cookies.

Jayne.9251

Put in a ticket and let anet sort it out.

Polarthief.5394

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/account/A-Note-about-Phishing-Emails-1/first#post2535375

Click on this link as it will take you to a copy of your letter in the Phishing Email sticky.

It’s a bit different, doesn’t have broken English, and doesn’t end in .tk though

Put in a ticket and let anet sort it out.

Good idea! Dunno why I didn’t think of that >_>;

Thanks everyone

Inculpatus cedo.9234

If you received an email seeking authorization for an IP other than your own, it may be prudent to change your game password and the password to the email associated with your game account. Someone may have your game log-in information.

As to the URL not ending in .tk, it doesn’t matter….it’s not from ArenaNet. If you read the sticky, it was stated that ArenaNet will never contact you first and threaten to suspend, ban or close your account….they act and then YOU must contact them.

Remember, many sites send out phishing mails. Each one can see others’ and improve upon them. The text in the phishing emails has progressively gotten better since they first starting appearing all those months ago. When I hover my mouse over links in the mails posted, I never see anything but what is written there. I don’t know if it is because they are on the forums, or because my computer is set up wrong, or what. But I can recognize a phishing email, as we have had so many posted on these forums over the past year. No need to contact support, though you can browse through the information library on the support site, and find this information. Good luck.

(edited by Inculpatus cedo.9234)

Polarthief.5394

If you received an email seeking authorization for an IP other than your own, it may be prudent to change your game password and the password to the email associated with your game account. Someone may have your game log-in information.

As to the URL not ending in .tk, it doesn’t matter….it’s not from ArenaNet. If you read the sticky, it was stated that ArenaNet will never contact you first and threaten to suspend, ban or close your account….they act and then YOU must contact them.

Remember, many sites send out phishing mails. Each one can see others’ and improve upon them. The text in the phishing emails has progressively gotten better since they first starting appearing all those months ago. When I hover my mouse over links in the mails posted, I never see anything but what is written there. I don’t know if it is because they are on the forums, or because my computer is set up wrong, or what. But I can recognize a phishing email, as we have had so many posted on these forums over the past year. No need to contact support, though you can browse through the information library on the support site, and find this information. Good luck.

I understand, but I have found a second “authorized location” (that I did NOT authorize) on my account, which has me skeptical to think the e-mail may be real.

Regardless, I sent them a ticket; I just want them to confirm if it’s real or not which would solve my problem.

ShiningSquirrel.3751

Polarthief.5394, Anet will NOT send an email asking you to validate your account by clicking on a link for ANY reason under ANY circumstances. The email is a fake.
Read that thread. Gaile has stated many times they will not send any email like that.
If there is ever an issue with your account, Anet will simply suspend or ban it. You will never receive an advance notice that your account “may” be suspended or banned, or even a notification when it actually is, they just do it then wait for you to contact them first.

Posted by: Killian.1439

Killian.1439

Hello,

So I recently logged in from about a 4 month break, played for a few days, bought gems a few times, and I got an email this morning saying.

“Guild Wars Account Will Be Shut Down Inform

We are sorry to inform you that your login account will be shut down or partially limited within 72 hours due to currency transactions or abnormal login. If you want to remove restrictions, please click the following link to validate::
https://forum.guildwars.com/login

The Guild Wars 2 Team"

Is this legit? Because my gmail is notifying me with this message about this specific email.

“Be careful with this message. Similar messages were used to steal people’s personal information. Unless you trust the sender, don’t click links or reply with personal information.”

The email of the sender is the same as the one that I get notifications from when I purchase gems.

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

Please note this thread for information about “Phishing” Attempts: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/account/A-Note-about-Phishing-Emails-1/first#post2074388. In short, the “Will be Shut Down Inform” is not from us, and it not in any way legitimate. Please delete immediately.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Posted by: Killian.1439

Killian.1439

Please note this thread for information about “Phishing” Attempts: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/account/A-Note-about-Phishing-Emails-1/first#post2074388. In short, the “Will be Shut Down Inform” is not from us, and it not in any way legitimate. Please delete immediately.

Thank you for the quick response! Email deleted.

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

Hey Account Support Forum Friends!

If just one of you could kindly bump this thread daily, we can keep it on the front page and keep a lot more people informed about those nasty phishing emails.

I’m bumping now, and if one of you guys can keep an eye on this and once in a while bump — if needed — to get it on the front page, that would be good.

NOTE: This is a singular exception to the “no bumping thread” rule and is a super special offer for this thread only at this point. We’ll give it a go and see if this helps people better understand those @#*(%& phishing tries.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Posted by: StinVec.3621

StinVec.3621

Would certainly be our pleasure, Ms. Gaile.

| [“I’d really like this…” — Resource for Gifting Strangers] |
| [Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs (and 1st Try Dive Tips)] |
| [Classic Thread: “all is vain”] |

Posted by: tyu.9470

tyu.9470

bumping as it is the last post of front page now.

Posted by: Isis Gebnut.4609

Isis Gebnut.4609

Hi Everyone i got a email couple days ago and another just now which as far as it says its from anet. I wasn’t sure if this was one from them or if it was someone with a false link. I have not clicked on the link as the email does not feel right. I have sent a ticket to support couple of days ago but am worried in case this turns out to be legit and am wasting time sending the ticket to find that my account is shut down. Has anyone received a email like this before? and what is it about as i don’t think i have had any abnormal login or had any currency transactions recently.

Email is below

Any help is appreciated

Attachments:

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Posted by: iCeMaNjAm.6902

iCeMaNjAm.6902

Ahh thanks I thought “In short, the “Will be Shut Down Inform” is not from us, and it not in any way legitimate. Please delete immediately.” Seemed abit unlike you guys so glad that I know otherwise now /bumpybump

Posted by: Teege.4623

Teege.4623

Yup it’s not real, don’t click anything in it.

“We just don’t want players to grind in Guild Wars 2.” -Colin Johanson
Don’t support the Gem Shop, it’s that easy.

Posted by: Isis Gebnut.4609

Isis Gebnut.4609

Thanks guys, thought it might be. Will change email and GW2 password asap

Posted by: Nate Anabe.6091

Nate Anabe.6091

somtimes if you can look at the headers you can tell if gw2 is really sending them by this :

“guildwars2.com reports xxx.xxx.xxx.xx should not be sending mail using it’s domain name, but is not forbidden from doing so.) smtp.mailfrom=guildwars2.com;”

back to front page you go

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
—Napoleon Bonaparte

Posted by: tyu.9470

tyu.9470

pushes to first page

Posted by: Melari.4192

Melari.4192

glad i came to the forums, as i didn’t trust the email i got. besides i was in my spam folder.

Posted by: Shpongle.6025

Shpongle.6025

i got 3 of those e-mails and I deleted all 3 of them without even reading them lol

Are you Shpongled?

Posted by: Coldspell.5301

Coldspell.5301

I also got the 72 hour one, glad I checked these forums.
What is a little disturbing is that it didn’t go to my junk (usually the phishing ones go straight to my junk).

Thing is on my e-mail at least it says it is coming from the same address as my acc activation e-mail and the login verification one, noreply@guildwars2.com

Posted by: Zaeious.7593

Zaeious.7593

Hi fellow players, I’ve received a similar phishing scam leading to this DEADLY site below:

DO NOT CLICK!!

account.guildwars2.comh3q20jqwt3hf-3as8jfk-nbmzet90o.c04i0-9u9uev3-xpr-gq2bfl-gqz.tk/

Please do not attempt to key in any particulars or information here! My Google Chrome has automatically blocked this site, phew~

(edited by Moderator)