frame rate with camera turning since update

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: uwo.8197

uwo.8197

Hey, this is my first day in since the update; awesome work by the way. All i do is pvp and I spin my camera around a lot, so, since my -laptop- is only so-so, I had taken to playing on the lowest settings so that the frame rate didn’t drop while I was spinning the camera. Today I observed something that seemed like the old frame rate drop.

Can anyone recommend a setting I might change? Has anyone else experienced this?

The difference isn’t massive, and might not be noticed by everyone, but it’s enough to make it a struggle to play.

Anywho, thanks for any advice you have to offer.

Edit: Yeah, on second thought I’m not certain this has anything to do with camera turning, but some sort of graphics change that’s causing me problems. I’ll go ahead and post a support question.

(edited by uwo.8197)

Posted by: wauwi.9162

wauwi.9162

computer specs?
current in-game graphic setting?

btw, framedrops while turning the camera around are completely normal.

because of not knowing your system, here the most obvious solution:
just turn down the graphic’s quality step by step until your satisfied with the performance

[EU/GER]Elona’s Reach: Aerrith: Lv80 Ranger / Sephirra: Lv80 Mesmer
“Only the finest of potatoes in my zerkburgers.”

Posted by: Toolbox.9375

Toolbox.9375

I’m having this, too. 0.5-2 seconds of screen-freeze whenever I turn quickly. Turning the graphics down to minimum makes zero difference. Had run fine with most things at Medium/High prior to the update.

I don’t suppose you’re running the game through Steam? The freeze (though still taking effect) seems to be dramatically reduced when I run the client straight-up instead of using Steam to run it. If it’s Steam-related, that might help to pinpoint the problem. Unfortunately, a friend of mine uses Steam to play GW2, as well, and has said they don’t have a problem.

The class is always greener on the other side.

wauwi.9162

I’m having this, too. 0.5-2 seconds of screen-freeze whenever I turn quickly. Turning the graphics down to minimum makes zero difference. Had run fine with most things at Medium/High prior to the update..

if you allow me to guess: do you have shadows @ultra?

oh and most of the stuttering-camera issues can be fixed by doing a 360 with the camera once in a while…especially after teleporting…well, that’s what i do.

(edited by wauwi.9162)

Toolbox.9375

No, shadows are at their lowest setting. Setting everything to lowest makes no difference, as I said.

Spinning around to load the whole map doesn’t help, either. Any abrupt change in camera angle causes the stutter to occur.

wauwi.9162

well i don’t know you PC specs…
otherwise i would suggest some tweaking, which would include defragmenting your drive, in case you’re not using a SSD, lower the graphic’s quality at your graphic card’s control panel, in case you’re GPU model is an older one or turn off windows visuals and all non-vital programs running in the background while launching GW2, in case you have a low performance PC in general.

uwo.8197

Thanks for the responses.

@wauwi My settings are already all at their lowest. Here are some specs:

*AMD Radeon HD 6770M
*intel core i7 2.4ghz
*~Gig of Ram
*windows 7 ultimate

Also, @Toolbox. I don’t think I’m streaming the client. Though I’m not sure I’ve ever been doing that. How would I know?

Edit3000: @wauwi. frame rate drops associated with camera turning used to be alleviated by lowering all settings. So much so that they were no longer perceptible. So, yes, drops are to be expected, but my coping strategy is no longer working.

Something I’ve noticed is that even on lowest settings my graphics look a lot better. Before the update playing on low settings felt kinda retro; not runescape bad… just retro. It’s almost as if the lowest settings are now higher.

(edited by uwo.8197)

Posted by: ChillyChinaman.6057

ChillyChinaman.6057

I’ve been having the same problem post-update. Before I would be able to run with 30-40 fps outside of WvW. Now I’m lucky to break 30. This is all with the lowest graphical settings at the lowest resolution.

I’m running with 8GBs of RAM, an XFX Radeon HD 6870(1GB), and an AMD Phenom II X6 1045t(2.7Ghz). When I use the auto-detect feature, not that I’d trust it’s settings, it puts most of my settings to high.

Toolbox.9375

well i don’t know you PC specs…
otherwise i would suggest some tweaking, which would include defragmenting your drive, in case you’re not using a SSD, lower the graphic’s quality at your graphic card’s control panel, in case you’re GPU model is an older one or turn off windows visuals and all non-vital programs running in the background while launching GW2, in case you have a low performance PC in general.

The only thing that has changed between the game running fine, and this problem beginning, has been the recent patch. I will look into directly changing my graphic settings, but I do not see why they would have changed.

As for my specs, I have 8 GB RAM, a 3.41 Ghz quad-core processor (AMD Phenom X4 965), and an AMD Radeon HD 6570. This setup has been fully capable of running Guild Wars 2 all this time with no issues.

Also, @Toolbox. I don’t think I’m streaming the client. Though I’m not sure I’ve ever been doing that. How would I know?

Oh, no, I’m not asking if you’re streaming the game. I’m asking if you’re playing it through Steam, which is a program offered by Valve company through which you can access a variety of games. It’s possible to incorporate games that Steam does not actually support, in order to access its chat functionality. By your reaction, it’s safe to say that you aren’t using Steam to run the game, which somewhat narrows down the possibilities as to what is causing this problem. Seems it’s a case of computer overload, rather than any kind of software conflict. Provided we don’t just have similar-yet-unrelated problems.

wauwi.9162

well it’s a laptop…so barely any OC potential…except if you want your laptop catching fire :P
but an i7 @2,4Ghz…i just googled it and it appears to have a max turbo frequency @3,5Ghz…if the stuttering are that frequent and not just only when moving the camera, maybe it’scaused by fluctuating clock speeds?

so if you’re experienced in overclocking, you might wanna try out OC it to something like 3,1Ghz and disabling speed-step, so that it’s clocks remain constant.

there might be some tweaking-potential at your graphic card’s control panel…i’m not familiar with AMDs so…but you might wanna try out lowering the quality at your graphic card’s control panel and idk you and all AMD graphic card users might want to check this thread out: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/players/Get-rid-of-your-low-FPS-AMD-only-Advanced-Method

again, if it’s just stuttering here and then, don’t mind it
also, framerates can be VERY area specific, which the developers continuously looking into.
example:
i’m running around at 60FPS at gendarran fields, teleporting into the norn starterting area – getting 45FPS, teleporting back to queensdale – getting 60FPS, walking into a cave at queensdale – getting 30FPS (they fixed that passage during the jan 28th update), walking out of that cave – 60 again

you can keep any bad grammar you find any…i’m kinda tired right now :P

(edited by wauwi.9162)

Toolbox.9375

Just tried an assortment of things, including what you just suggested, with no results.

HOWEVER, I did discover something… It’s not the camera turning that causes stuttering. It’s rapid mouse movement. As soon as I started moving the mouse very quickly in circles, the entire game came to a standstill. So, Uwo and Chilly (and whoever else has the problem), test that out. See if moving the mouse about causes the game to slowdown. If so, that puts us a step closer to figuring out the problem.

EDIT: I seem to have fixed it… Somehow. Just went through and removed a number of programs that were loading processes onto the computer. The only one I would really suspect might’ve been the culprit was an “IncrediBar” toolbar that latched itself onto Internet Explorer at some point. But, it could’ve been any number of things that I removed… I didn’t test after each one, sadly, and can’t remember what all I took out.

I doubt that the Guild Wars update loaded IncrediBar onto everyone, so unfortunately, that likely means that my case was localized, and not something that would be fixed in the same way. That said, just in case, go through your system processes in the Control+Alt+Delete Task Manager, and look up each one in the list. Follow whatever steps might be listed for how to remove them if they’re non-essential, and see if that helps. I also went through the Add/Remove Programs tool in the Windows Control Panel and took out whatever I didn’t need.

SOMETHING worked. I’m just not sure what, unfortunately.

(edited by Toolbox.9375)

Posted by: ChillyChinaman.6057

ChillyChinaman.6057

I solved my problem too. Apparently I had my max CPU usage set to only 51% in power settings. Something worth looking into.

uwo.8197

Thanks again for all the responses. You guys are a gold mine.

I was able to get a significant improvement from installing the best driver, (oops) so the fps drop isn’t as terrible now.