legendary sold to vendor, support can't help

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Areann.1304

Areann.1304

Hey

I accidently sold my legendary to a vendor. That’s normally not possible but I transmuted a crafted pearl quarterstaff with the cheapest lionguard staff for the skin, and then six months later I transmuted that lionguard staff with my Bifrost to save the sigil. My legendary always showed up in my vendor list, and was almost never in the right bag of my inventory. I noticed after a relog that my legendary was gone, so I must have accidently sold it to a vendor. I switched to playing d/d about two months ago, so the Bifrost has been in my bag a long time since I usually don’t play with it (also have four other characters).

I contacted support who say that they can’t give back my Bifrost since they can’t find the moment it was sold in the game logs. They do have confirmed that they saw that I had crafted and equiped my Bifrost. Salvaging a legendary ask for a confirmation and I know I didn’t do that (I always type ‘rare" or ’salvage’).

I can’t help it that transmutting a legendary messes up with it’s legendary status so that it can be sold. And I don’t know when I accidently sold it, otherwise I would have bought it bag (already happend twice).

My Bifrost was pretty much gathering dust so it’s not totally devastating for me if I don’t get it back. But clearly this is a desing flaw, atleast adress that so it doesn’t happen to others.

I contacted support trough my support account that I still had from in the beta’s. But I don’t see a referance that I can place here.

Posted by: LeCreaux.3087

LeCreaux.3087

Yeah, they wouldn’t restore an irreplaceable skin for me also. I made a ticket within minutes of the transmute going wrong, but they said they’d only restore if it was a bug. Not a good way to treat otherwise satisfied customers. It’s too easy to mess up a transmute and there’s no undo. Mine was an event skin, I can only imagine how frustrating it would be for a legendary.

Like you, I recommended they address this for the future (maybe an “undo” button on transmuted items) to prevent frustrating customers. The response was basically “we’re still not going to restore the item”, so the recommendation went right over the head of whoever is doing the support tickets. I would think this is a common problem for honest players, and an “undo” button would thwart the dishonest ones.

(edited by LeCreaux.3087)

Posted by: Lesath.6081

Lesath.6081

I’ve bought a 2nd ascended ring (same as first one) & didn’t know I couldn’t equip it until I’ve already purchased it. From what I’ve gather on the offical forums. GW2 won’t refund your purchase. As a casual player these things take a long time to gather such as Badges of Honor + Laurels. Other game has such a refund feature & I don’t see why GW2 can’t do it.

Saying it can’t be done just doesn’t help the problem since I’m sure I’m not the first & probably won’t be the last player that have made an honest mistake! I’m sorry to say this but if it can’t be fixed then I’m done with this game. It’s just a simple feature to add & it won’t mess up the encomy like they’ve stated. It’s an EQUAL TRADE, you simply take back the ring & refund the same amount of currency used to purchase it in the first place.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

I’ve bought a 2nd ascended ring (same as first one) & didn’t know I couldn’t equip it until I’ve already purchased it. From what I’ve gather on the offical forums. GW2 won’t refund your purchase. As a casual player these things take a long time to gather such as Badges of Honor + Laurels. Other game has such a refund feature & I don’t see why GW2 can’t do it.

Saying it can’t be done just doesn’t help the problem since I’m sure I’m not the first & probably won’t be the last player that have made an honest mistake! I’m sorry to say this but if it can’t be fixed then I’m done with this game. It’s just a simple feature to add & it won’t mess up the encomy like they’ve stated. It’s an EQUAL TRADE, you simply take back the ring & refund the same amount of currency used to purchase it in the first place.

I’ve read that if you infuse one so that it’s no longer identical you can wear both. If you were going to infuse one anyway, it’s worth a try.

Posted by: Rajani Isa.6294

Rajani Isa.6294

I’ve read that if you infuse one so that it’s no longer identical you can wear both. If you were going to infuse one anyway, it’s worth a try.

Yeah – the wiki has instructions if you need to know how – this is the infusion that adds agony resistance to the ring in the Mystic Forge, not simply slotting an infusion into the item.

LeCreaux.3087

The bigger issue here is the great frustration to honest players for no apparent gain. Players spend considerable time and dedication to earn some of these items and skins, you could argue they’re the ONLY reason some people even play the game. Refusing to restore them when they’re lost due to some mechanic can literally end the desire to play their product. Conversely, restoring them likely increases commitment. Makes no business sense.

Posted by: ShiningSquirrel.3751

ShiningSquirrel.3751

The bigger issue here is the great frustration to honest players for no apparent gain. Players spend considerable time and dedication to earn some of these items and skins, you could argue they’re the ONLY reason some people even play the game. Refusing to restore them when they’re lost due to some mechanic can literally end the desire to play their product. Conversely, restoring them likely increases commitment. Makes no business sense.

The game is free to play. If they start trying to offer support for every player mistake, and in this case, it is player error not an error in the game, they would have to have a much larger support crew, meaning more money, meaning they would probably have to start charging a monthly fee. A game like wow that brings in close to $100,000,000 a month or more in fees can afford to have a large support staff. A free to play game like GW2 cannot. Another point is if they use the support resources to correct player mistakes, then they will have less resources for players who really need support.

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

It makes perfect business sense to me. If this were a small game, then I could understand why the company should help. But in a game with millions of accounts, why should the company be required to help every single player that made a mistake or a bad choice? Seems you don’t realize the financial impact of employee man-hours needed to constantly assist someone who sold or salvaged the wrong gear, or purchased the wrong item. Not only that, but they also need to help players restore their compromised accounts. Even then, there’s a limit of one time, since each of us is responsible for our own computer security.

There are mechanics in place that require a confirmation before doing something, like buying an item with tokens. There are also tools that prevent items from showing up in the vendor sale list (i.e. Invisible Bag).

So let this be a lesson to everyone. Take precautions, and save yourself from the headaches of missing gear.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

If you are that careless with something that important then I guess I would say sorry for your luck. It isn’t like it auto sold as soon as you opened the vendor window. Don’t start spamming left click while at the vendor. IMO it should not be the role of Anet staff to clean up mistakes made by a player. I’m guessing they have actual bugs and problems to deal with.

The Burninator

LeCreaux.3087

The manpower rationale would make sense if they didn’t do so much work to determine if a bug caused the problem. In my case, they requested screencaps and timestamps, even reviewed their own logs. There was no conflict as to whether I did possess the missing item…only whether it was a bug that caused it to go missing.

In a game like this, which is like every other MMO, customer loyalty is what pays the bills. If an honest customer loses an item that has no value (other than to the customer) and costs nothing to replace, it would seem a very good business value to restore it. Doing so would make money from this customer in the future, refusing could lose money in the future.

I can understand refusing to replace a dropped ice cream cone to teach a child a lesson, but some of us are grandparents, business owners, and retirees. We know how to run a business and this issue contradicts business logic. Yes, weed out the dishonest players who are trying to score an item for free. But don’t lump the honest players in with them.

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

In a game like this, which is like every other MMO, customer loyalty is what pays the bills. If an honest customer loses an item that has no value (other than to the customer) and costs nothing to replace,

There is a cost. It’s the salary and time of the the customer support rep who would need to manually go into your single account, and research. Now multiply that by thousands, if not tens of thousands.

So it would be bad business practice to do it for one person, because then they’d be obligated to do it for everyone else. And that’s when it starts to cost a lot of man-hours.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

You do realize this would start a slippery slope don’t you? You would have people flooding support over a yellow item they accidentally threw in the forge, people asking for help with stuff they accidentally deleted, people wanting do overs because they accidentally bound the wrong dye to the wrong character, people wanting do overs because they accidentally bought the wrong item, and the list can go on and on and on and on and on….

I’m glad you know how to run a business though and congrats on your retirement.

The Burninator

Areann.1304

If you are that careless with something that important then I guess I would say sorry for your luck. It isn’t like it auto sold as soon as you opened the vendor window. Don’t start spamming left click while at the vendor. IMO it should not be the role of Anet staff to clean up mistakes made by a player. I’m guessing they have actual bugs and problems to deal with.

But that’s the ting, this IS a BUG. Normally legendaries CAN NOT BE SOLD to a vendor.

Areann.1304

You do realize this would start a slippery slope don’t you? You would have people flooding support over a yellow item they accidentally threw in the forge, people asking for help with stuff they accidentally deleted, people wanting do overs because they accidentally bound the wrong dye to the wrong character, people wanting do overs because they accidentally bought the wrong item, and the list can go on and on and on and on and on….

I’m glad you know how to run a business though and congrats on your retirement.

None of your examples are the same, selling the legendary to a vendor is normally not possible.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

But that’s the ting, this IS a BUG. Normally legendaries CAN NOT BE SOLD to a vendor.

Unless you transmute it. Here are the known facts about transmutation:

Transmutation creates a new item, replacing both existing items.

The new item combines one skin (top box), one set of inherent (middle-box prefix) stats, and one set of upgrade (lower-box suffix) stats, .
The resulting item’s rarity will be changed to “Transmuted”.
The color of the name of the resulting item is usually the same color of the item that provided the stats, but there are some exceptions:
When any of the items is of Legendary rarity, the resulting item’s name will always have legendary color.
When the item in the left slot is of Transmuted rarity, the name of the transmuted item will have that color if it was of a higher rarity than the item in the right slot, even if the stats picked were those of the item in the right slot.
Transmuted legendary precursors will not be recognized as such in the Mystic Forge, i.e. they cannot be used to create legendary weapons.

‘I accidently sold my legendary to a vendor. That’s normally not possible but I transmuted a crafted pearl quarterstaff with the cheapest lionguard staff for the skin, and then six months later I transmuted that lionguard staff with my Bifrost to save the sigil.’

So, it isn’t a bug, I’m afraid.

(edited by Inculpatus cedo.9234)

LeCreaux.3087

I’ve never gained a Legendary item, nor do I intend to (too much play time required), but I can definitely sympathize with someone who’s gained and lost one by accident.

I think we all can accept that MMOs are infested with players trying to “game the system”, take advantage of and abuse others. We’ve all become jaded and defensive because of them. Surely we would not want a single one of them to get a free Legendary skin or whatever.

But in my opinion, if the player (customer) is honest and not abusive, special items like Legendary or unique event skins should be recoverable, regardless of how the item was lost. I’m sure these customers would wait the required time to get them back. These are players (customers) you’d WANT to keep. Why on earth would you risk losing committed and positive customers over something so easy to remedy.

Posted by: GoddessOfTheWinds.2937

GoddessOfTheWinds.2937

If I had lost my Legendary, I would cry and stop playing probably… God, so many hundred, if not thousand of hours (or hundred of dollars) wasted. :S

Lesath.6081

Yeah – the wiki has instructions if you need to know how – this is the infusion that adds agony resistance to the ring in the Mystic Forge, not simply slotting an infusion into the item.

Thanks for clarification. However I don’t think I’ve got the stuffs to add agony resist. since I don’t farm dungeons for mats (that’s what some players says you need to do in order to get those mats.)

(edited by Lesath.6081)

Lesath.6081

The game is free to play. If they start trying to offer support for every player mistake, and in this case, it is player error not an error in the game, they would have to have a much larger support crew, meaning more money, meaning they would probably have to start charging a monthly fee. A game like wow that brings in close to $100,000,000 a month or more in fees can afford to have a large support staff. A free to play game like GW2 cannot. Another point is if they use the support resources to correct player mistakes, then they will have less resources for players who really need support.

By that logic (a free to play game) then you mean games like this one should not have this kind of support? It’s like you’re saying games like this (B2P Buy 2 Play) is inferior to sub-based-games. I don’t view it this way since I highly vaule a good B2P game as much as a good sub-based-game. Another point is this is not 100% player mistake when it could have been prevented by either party. Yes, I made a mistake by not tabbing out & google if I could equip 2 of the same ascened rings beause I was too excited to be able to finally gather enough of Badges & Laurels to purchase it. At the same time Anet could have prevented it as well by simply not allowing a player to purchase the same ascended ring on a toon that’s already equipped with one.

This is a gameplay issue & it should deserve support just like any other game issues.

Rajani Isa.6294

Are you sure it’s not considered a bug? Originally legendaries did not keep their unique text color when transmuted – and that was considered a bug.

Areann.1304

Yeah that Bifrost took 2000hours playtime to get it, one second to lose it. Support never responded if this was a bug or not. Since I couldn’t give them the exact time of vendoring, support didn’t take any further action.

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

Let’s all be honest here. This issue would NEVER come up if the OP had not used an exploit to get around what ANet put in place to keep this exact issue from ever happening…

Also, there IS a buyback tab on the vendor screens…

There is only so much a company can be expected to do to protect users from themselves.

Would I want ANet to help me in this situation? Of course, but I would also know that this is 100% my fault and expecting them to bend the rules for me is a bit absurd.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Posted by: ShiningSquirrel.3751

ShiningSquirrel.3751

By that logic (a free to play game) then you mean games like this one should not have this kind of support? It’s like you’re saying games like this (B2P Buy 2 Play) is inferior to sub-based-games. I don’t view it this way since I highly vaule a good B2P game as much as a good sub-based-game. Another point is this is not 100% player mistake when it could have been prevented by either party. Yes, I made a mistake by not tabbing out & google if I could equip 2 of the same ascened rings beause I was too excited to be able to finally gather enough of Badges & Laurels to purchase it. At the same time Anet could have prevented it as well by simply not allowing a player to purchase the same ascended ring on a toon that’s already equipped with one.

This is a gameplay issue & it should deserve support just like any other game issues.

Your situation has nothing to do with this conversation. The op was talking about selling a legendary item to the merchants, that has nothing to do with your issue so you are simply attempting to hijack another players thread. Did you open a support ticket for your own issue? That is your first step as support has corrected players purchasing double ascended items in the past. If you opened a support ticket already, create your own support thread here with your issue instead of piggy backing on another players thread about a different issue.

Areann.1304

Let’s all be honest here. This issue would NEVER come up if the OP had not used an exploit to get around what ANet put in place to keep this exact issue from ever happening…

There is only so much a company can be expected to do to protect users from themselves.

Would I want ANet to help me in this situation? Of course, but I would also know that this is 100% my fault and expecting them to bend the rules for me is a bit absurd.

I transmuted the legedary for the sigil, how is that an exploit?

Posted by: Arrelaine.5692

Arrelaine.5692

I’m unfortunately having a similar issue. They won’t restore a mini because I can’t remember exactly what I did with it, or what day or time. It’s an account bound mini, so you can’t sell it, mail it, or even sell it to a vendor. And of course you have to confirm to destroy it. I had assumed a week or two ago that it had been mass deposited into my collectibles, along with other items. It’s now missing from all my characters, inventory and collectibles. It also happens to be the Colossus mini, so if I can’t get it restored, I’ll have to spend gems to get it back, or lose the chance to get it forever.

Rajani Isa.6294

I transmuted the legedary for the sigil, how is that an exploit?

That would be nice to know, considering it’s how transmute stones normally work.