shall I buy a windows machine just for gw2?

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: SemmlerTh.2685

SemmlerTh.2685

Heyo,

this has not a lot to do with technical support for the mac client itself, but its kind of related, sorry if this is the wrong section.

Im a Web Professional and completely switched from windows to mac. The Apps I use are Mac only and I never regretted making the transition because I get projects so much faster done than on windows.

When I didnt really have any desire to play gw2, I decided to get rid of my big, dusty windows machine and get a shiny MacBook Air. I can only play Diablo 3, lol & minecraft on it, needless to say that minecraft is hell of a lot work for my machine, because java.

I was also trying out gw2, but coming from 80fps on best graphics, to 18fps on best performance makes the game unplayable.

So now I am thinking about getting a windows pc or laptop, just for gaming, meaning especially gw2. I was also thinking about getting an iMac (3.1GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 1GB GDDR5, 16 GB DDR3) and maybe playing the game on parallels. Has anyone experience with it?

In case of getting a windows machine, do you think Ill get to a good machine with a budget of 900€? (up to 1.800€ in June) Can you maybe suggest some technical specs?

Huge downsides of getting a PC would be, that there are, again, hundrets of dusty cables laying around the desk, collecting dust and overall annoying me. Having an iMac would mean to plug the thing in and thats it.

So, can you maybe suggest a good lap top instead? Thanks!

Posted by: Naqaj.6219

Naqaj.6219

Do you think you could assemble a PC by yourself? That would allow you to stretch your budget much further.

(edited by Naqaj.6219)

Posted by: Todd.8162

Todd.8162

Posted by: Iluzija.1798

Iluzija.1798

Posted by: SemmlerTh.2685

SemmlerTh.2685

well thanks for the links! I decided to just get over myself and get a windows machine just for gaming. I dont need to productive working enviroments at the same place.

Posted by: Todd.8162

Todd.8162

Why would some one recommend Crossover when the question clearly said that low game speed was an issue? Crossover is slower than the A-Net Mac client. I run the game in Crossover when I need to reliably use the Trading Post, but never to actually play.

Posted by: Lankybrit.4598

Lankybrit.4598

I’m using bootcamp and it’s fine. In fact, better than the Mac version.

My Life in Tyria: http://lankygw2blog.blogspot.com/
Updated every Monday

Posted by: evoRobot.4019

evoRobot.4019

For GW2, PC is the way to go. If you take a look at forums, you don’t really find good things about the mac client.

Xscape

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

I’m using bootcamp and it’s fine. In fact, better than the Mac version.

Yes, but on a macbook air the OP is not going to get the speed they want…
I have a decent MBP and in bootcamp I get around 30-40FPS, they want like proper gaming PC speeds… MBA is going to be far far less than desirable.

Posted by: Iluzija.1798

Iluzija.1798

Why would some one recommend Crossover when the question clearly said that low game speed was an issue? Crossover is slower than the A-Net Mac client. I run the game in Crossover when I need to reliably use the Trading Post, but never to actually play.

Depends on your system. I run some things on crossover and have no speed issues. Both of them run on wrappers and crossover provides a 30 day free trial, how dare i suggest something that is completely free to try and that the OP would loose nothing by trying.

FlamingFoxx.1305

Depends on your system. I run some things on crossover and have no speed issues. Both of them run on wrappers and crossover provides a 30 day free trial, how dare i suggest something that is completely free to try and that the OP would loose nothing by trying.

But the point is that Crossover running on a Macbook Air, which is what the OP has, is not going to give you very good speeds. OP talks about having had a gaming PC which got around 80FPS, a MBA is never going to get over 30 (which is optimistic) even on bootcamp, let alone using crossover.

Yes Crossover is a viable solution for some people, but not if someones main concern is speed – just remember that your definition of “no speed issues” is different to other peoples – I mean, personally I’m with you, if I had to run the game at 15FPS then I could live with that.

Posted by: goodbeerhunting.8942

goodbeerhunting.8942

Go with a bootcamp partition. The iMac is a good machine; You’d enjoy it a lot, especially the screen resolution when you’re doing real work. You’d also get your work done faster (and don’t skimp on a fusion drive, or the upgraded graphics.) Of course running GW2 under Windows will give you the performance of a comparable PC, so you’re set there. It doesn’t make sense to buy a PC given that you’re on OSX for work. Get the iMac. If you’re self-employed, I’d imagine you could claim it as an expense for taxes as well.

Some suggestions on iMac hunting – I’m not sure which european market you’re in (Eire?) but I’d keep an eye on the refurbished section, and look at the 27" model. You’ll save some cash and have the same warranty as new. The 27" would also let you upgrade ram later yourself (much cheaper,) and be more useful for work. If it came down to choosing between 16GB of ram or a fusion drive, I’d take the drive. You’ll get by fine with 8GB of ram, but being stuck with a 5400RPM system disk hurts.

(I’m speaking from my own experience as a retired graphic designer, with a 2012 27" iMac – 3.4 GHz i7, 8 GB RAM, 1TB Fusion drive, GTX 680MX.)

There’s a small free utility called BootChamp which is helpful when using bootcamp, turning it into a simple one-click reboot, and you don’t have to set the startup disk back on the windows side – when you shut down, it’ll reboot back into OSX.

(edited by goodbeerhunting.8942)

Posted by: Sultane.9150

Sultane.9150

I have a Mac and on bootcamp Guild wars 2 runs on high settings with 40-60 fps. Granted, I have the 15 inch mbpr, but I still think you should be able to get decent fps on low settings on a macbook air via bootcamp.

If you’re really going with the PC thing, build your own pc. It’s a lot more fun and much less expensive.

Posted by: Vampirate.7054

Vampirate.7054

I don’t care but its your money for PC or Mac. MY Mac pro just running great.(without Bootcamp) My is Mac Pro 2013 Black cylinder
3.76 Ghz 4 core intel-Xeon
16 MB DDR3 ECC
AMD FirePro D300 2048 MB
OS X 10.9.2
setting on all “High”

Attachments:

(edited by Vampirate.7054)

Posted by: DonQuack.9025

DonQuack.9025

I don’t care but its your money for PC or Mac. MY Mac pro just running great.(without Bootcamp) My is Mac Pro 2013 Black cylinder
16 MB DDR3 ECC
AMD FirePro D300 2048 MB
OS X 10.9.2
setting on all “High”

except shaders and textures and high rez char textures seems to blocked out for some reason.

Concerns about HoT pre-order? Check here!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am9gVQB8gss

Posted by: Vampirate.7054

Vampirate.7054

mmmm good “?” maybe for PC ? I don’t know

FlamingFoxx.1305

16 MB DDR3 ECC
AMD FirePro D300 2048 MB
OS X 10.9.2
setting on all “High”

except shaders and textures and high rez char textures seems to blocked out for some reason.

Because the screenshot was taken in the Mac Beta.. In which those features are not available because it’s 32 bit.