Mouse Pointer

Mouse Pointer

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: trooper.2650

trooper.2650

I never experienced this problem in any other game I have played but I often lose track of the Mouse pointer. Is there any setting that can help with this? Does anyone ever experienced this?

Mouse Pointer

Posted by: CptTrips.6512

CptTrips.6512

maybe this can help you:

http://pandateemo.github.io/YoloMouse/

Mouse Pointer

trooper.2650

at first I though you were winding me up
Than I went to check youtube and saw many using it giving high rate. They called it “life saver”.

I think I will give it a go.

Thanks!

Mouse Pointer

Posted by: Silmar Alech.4305

Silmar Alech.4305

This really works. This is what I searched for 2 years now and was never able to find. Thanks! Thanks! Thanks!!!
So often I lost the cursor in battle and lost my life because of that, I cannot count. “Life saver”? Absolutely. Thanks again.

Now I will go and make some huge cursors for GW2 that are still visible but not that foreign to the game as the default cursors of Yolomouse.

Mouse Pointer

Posted by: CptTrips.6512

CptTrips.6512

glad to help.
I use it for myself, only issue for me: some times using alt+tab the mouse is somehow trapped in the top left corner, but a single click will release it.

Mouse Pointer

Silmar Alech.4305

Unfortunately, the current version of Yolomouse makes GW2 crash if it is already running when you start GW2. I contacted the author, and he acknowledged the bug and will look into it.
As a workaround you can start Yolomouse after you start GW2 and not vice versa.

Mouse Pointer

trooper.2650

I installed yolomouse and it works while I am on the desktop but not when on GW2. While playing, cursor does not change and stays with GW2 default one.

On yolomouse website you can choose betweek 32bit and 32/64bit versions. I opted for the latter. Should I install the 32bit only?

Keys for changing pointer are ctrl+shift+alt+1..9. My shift key is binded to autorun. Could this be a problem?

Mouse Pointer

Silmar Alech.4305

Yolomouse saves assigned cursors on a per-program basis. That means you must start GW2 and move the mouse on a position that it displays the cursor you want to change. Then you press ctrl-shift-alt+1 to replace this cursor and this cursor only with the cursor from Yolomouse. If GW2 displays a different cursor, for example the red one if you move over an enemy, you will see the original GW2 cursor. If you move the cursor back, the replaced cursor reappears. You must replace every different cursor as well, and you can assign different cursors as well. You can do this with every different cursor an application may display.

Yesterday evening, I made a set of custom cursors for GW2, which contains 6 different cursors, because GW2 actually uses many different cursors. Normal, red (mouse over enemy within range), grey (mouse over enemy out of range), green (mouse over friendly character), golden grid (ground target and mouse in range), grey grid (ground target and out of range) and quite some more. I replaced the ones I mentioned here and I intend to make a short video to show what it’s like and provide the cursors here for your perusal. But first, I want to play with them for another day and see if they are good enough.

The default Yolomouse cursor replacements, while very visible, are atrocious from an artistic point of view. I actually understand now why Arenanet is so reluctant to provide alternate mouse cursors. The more visible the cursor, even if within the style of the game, the more it disturbs the visual and artistic aspect of the game. I suspect a veto from the art department for aesthetic reasons.

Edit: Install the 64-bit version, and make sure you have version 0.5.1 from a few hours ago (or newer), which doesn’t make GW2 crash any more.

Attachments:

(edited by Silmar Alech.4305)

Mouse Pointer

trooper.2650

thanks for feedback. Question.
I log in and do nothing but leave the cursor right in the middle of the screen, where there is only grass and trees, for example. I press the key combo but nothing happens. I select a target, put the mouse on top of it press the key combo and nothing happens. Am I doing it right?

I am in full screen mode. Should I switch to windows fullscreen mode?

Mouse Pointer

Silmar Alech.4305

Windowed or full screen doesn’t matter. And you’re doing it right. Are you running GW2 as administrator? If yes, then you must run Yolomouse as Admin as well. Or both not as admin, which is better from a security point of view.

Mouse Pointer

trooper.2650

I tried running yolomouse both as non admin and admin but didn’t work.

I red somewhere yolomouse should be started after launching the game but while I was messing around with it I accidentaly deselected “show menu on tray”. Now I cannot get it back so I cannot choose when to start it, since it is set to start with windows.

I tried uninstall it but didn’t work. I cannot get it back to the tray menu.

It may be usefull to know that I am using a gaming mouse. Is there any setting I should be turning on/off both in the windows and mouse panel?

Mouse Pointer

Posted by: HaPpY.8564

HaPpY.8564

delete C:\Users\…\AppData\Local\YoloMouse\Settings.ini then restart yolomouse to get it back.

does it work for other games?

Mouse Pointer

Silmar Alech.4305

Here is the video with my custom mouse cursors, also showing how to activate them:

Download link of my cursors: http://www.wombaz.de/uploads/2014/10/gw2mousecursors.zip

In case you’re German, here is a German version of the video as well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C7ZGhM6Scs

Mouse Pointer

Posted by: Wockawocka.9065

Wockawocka.9065

Looks interesting.
But GW2 crashes on me whenever I try to assign a cursor.
Starting Yolomouse after GW2 doesn’t make a difference.
This is with version 0.5.2 beta.

Mouse Pointer

trooper.2650

It is now working as intended (GW2 was running as admin so I had to disable that).

However, when right clicking for changing view (especially in a frenzy situation) it acts in the same way as the standard pointer: sometimes it disappears. Fortunately, when coming back, it is much easier to spot it because of it’s size and colour.

Thank you for your help

Mouse Pointer

Silmar Alech.4305

Right clicking (and holding) to rotate the camera always hides the mouse cursor. This isn’t anything a generic mouse cursor changer like yolomouse can modify. This has to be modified in the game engine of GW2 itself.

A somewhat technical explanation:
As far as I remember, this is common practice with DirectX games: If you as a programmer want the user to rotate the camera by moving the mouse, you hide the mouse cursor and move the invisible cursor to the middle of the screen. While in rotating mouse, you check every frame how far from the middle since the last check the mouse cursor was moved by the user. The more far away, the more you rotate the camera. The direction and distance of the mouse pointer determines the angle and velocity of the camera move. Then you reset the pointer to the middle of the screen and wait for the next frame.

It must be the middle of the screen, so the user isn’t able to reach the borders – otherwise rotating would be clipped and the game would lose the focus.

If the user gets out of the rotate mode, you place the mouse cursor to the position where it originally was and make it visible again, so the user has the illusion the mouse cursor never moved at all.