in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Calavera.1086

Calavera.1086

Hey guys, first off I’ll post my system specs:

Windows 7 Ultimate 32bits SP1
Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4 GHz
3 GB RAM
GTX460 1GB

Currently I’m running the game at 20-30 fps in crowded areas like cities and 40-50 fps in places with less activity like small groups and events.

I’m ok with these numbers , buuuuut I wouldn’t mind if I could get another 10-15 fps if OCing my CPU would get me that.

I have zero experience in OCing but I’m sure there are dozens of online guides so I think I can handle it. Also if I burn my CPU that’s the reason I was looking for to upgrade it anyways

Should I overclock my CPU?

Posted by: Andicus.3081

Andicus.3081

Hi,

The good news is your CPU overclocks well and easily – the bad news is an overclock isn’t going to buy you another 10fps – maybe 5 if your lucky.

My system is very similar to yours, but with quite a heavy overclock
Q6600 @ 3.2Ghz
4GB DDR2 RAM @ 850MHz
GTX560 1GB (mild factory overclock)

I’m typically seeing 25-35fps in crowded places (PvE only – WvW is a disaster) and 45-55 in many places out in the world.

However, i’ve also spent a fair bit of time playing with a hardware monitor running, and typically when my FPS is low, my hardware usage is also low (4 cores at 80, 50, 50, 40 % and GPU at 30-50%)

Calavera.1086

Hi Andicus, we really have very similar fps. If it’s gonna give me only 5 fps than I think it’s not worth the risk.

Thx for the reply.

Posted by: stryke.1604

stryke.1604

id be interested to know aswell, i have the same cpu but running GTX260 Sli, i get around 30fps on medium high settings in PvE, but i would really like to WvWvW and that is not an option atm as when things start getting busy it drops to about 10fps and skill lag starts occuring.

Im due an excuse to upgrade aswell cala ^^ , can anyone reccommend a decent cpu/gfx combo that is good value for money? im not looking at paying the astronomical prices, then again i realise im not going to get what im after with the cheapest parts about, so something middle of the road.

I have heard good things about the “Intel Core i5-3570K” , any users care to share what fps they get in WvWvW when it gets busy?

Posted by: Warcray.8705

Warcray.8705

I also have an Intel Core 2 quad Q6600 which has been overclocked to 3.30GHz. I have 4GB of DDR2 and I roll with an ATI 5770 GPU. My average FPS is extremely similar to what you guys get.

45-50 FPS in PVE during normal questing.
35 FPS During busy dynamic events
25-30 FPS During WvW skirmishes
5-10 FPS During WvW zergs and sieges

I know my system is old but I was really hoping to get more than 10 FPS in large WvW battles! Oh well, it looks like I’ll have to splash out on a new rig if I want to play WvW properly.

Posted by: DJRiful.3749

DJRiful.3749

Overclock does affect GW2 performance but again, none of us or Anet will take any responsibility of any damages.

Stormïe ~ Tarnished Coast | My little monster <3 – http://valid.canardpc.com/6nbdeq

Posted by: Rolo.9248

Rolo.9248

Also if I burn my CPU that’s the reason I was looking for to upgrade it anyways

That’s the right attitude! (but you can do it new and if something is wrong, it’s under warranty)

If you can do it properly, overclock everything (CPU, GPU, RAM). If you are impatient or can’t exercise prudence and proper discipline, leave it alone.

GW2 does peg CPU and GPUs; you’ll have to monitor the CPU constantly to see it, depending on your game-play and monitoring tools (namely, polling interval).

i5-2500K 4.2GHz | 8GB Mushkin DDR3-2133 | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4, GTX580-882/2033
Crucial m4 128GB SSD (64GB SRT cache) | WD 2TB 2002FAEX | Antec Twelve Hundred
When I was your age, I could outrun a centaur…until I took an arrow to the knee

Posted by: Samfisher.7942

Samfisher.7942

Hi,

The good news is your CPU overclocks well and easily – the bad news is an overclock isn’t going to buy you another 10fps – maybe 5 if your lucky.

Q6600 @ 3.2Ghz
4GB DDR2 RAM @ 850MHz

I’m typically seeing 25-35fps in crowded places (PvE only – WvW is a disaster) and 45-55 in many places out in the world.

However, i’ve also spent a fair bit of time playing with a hardware monitor running, and typically when my FPS is low, my hardware usage is also low (4 cores at 80, 50, 50, 40 % and GPU at 30-50%)

Actually I would beg to differ. I had decent FPS in towns but I knew I could do better. My rig is similar to both of you (i5 760 and GTX 460). I found a place that gave me 48 fps if I turned my camera a certain angle (I was looking for a place where my FPS wouldn’t cap at 60 as I had VSYNC on). I turned VSync off, had 48 fps. Restarted my pc, applied a overclocking profile I set up (from 2.8GHz to 3.8GHz), went back into the game and shifted my camera the same angle and I had MORE than 70 FPS. If you don’t believe me, next time you go into WvW, take a look at your cpu load of all 4 cores from Task Manager :P

Ezendor [SYN] – Synapse, Ranger
Sea of Sorrows

Posted by: Darganon.6754

Darganon.6754

I have heard good things about the “Intel Core i5-3570K” , any users care to share what fps they get in WvWvW when it gets busy?

This is the processor I bought last month when I built my new system. I have vsync turned on and get a fairly consistent 55-60fps in pve. My gpu is an nvidia 560 2GB. I haven’t tried WvWvW yet so I can’t tell you what you really want to know.

Been very happy with new CPU though.

Calavera.1086

Hi,

Q6600 @ 3.2Ghz
4GB DDR2 RAM @ 850MHz

Actually I would beg to differ. I had decent FPS in towns but I knew I could do better. My rig is similar to both of you (i5 760 and GTX 460). I found a place that gave me 48 fps if I turned my camera a certain angle (I was looking for a place where my FPS wouldn’t cap at 60 as I had VSYNC on). I turned VSync off, had 48 fps. Restarted my pc, applied a overclocking profile I set up (from 2.8GHz to 3.8GHz), went back into the game and shifted my camera the same angle and I had MORE than 70 FPS. If you don’t believe me, next time you go into WvW, take a look at your cpu load of all 4 cores from Task Manager :P

Hmmm… this is very interesting. I think results may vary from system to sytem. I’ll have to give it a shot and see how it goes for me then.

Posted by: Ashley Segovia.8276

Ashley Segovia.8276

Technical Support

Depending on your system because this does vary, overclocking can certainly give your system a speed boost if done right. However, this isn’t really something that we can advise especially since there have been quite a few issues with the client for players with overclocked systems in which the only resolution (for now) is to set their system to stock settings. If this is something that you’re considering I would highly recommend researching the subject and keeping in mind the potential risks to your system.

Posted by: HawkMeister.4758

HawkMeister.4758

Very wise word from Missus Segovia there.
As I play “only” on a lowly AMD PhenomII x2 555 I had no choice but to overclock to get a “bit” more stable FPS.
On an Intel CPU this should be even more dramatic, if your system doesn´t happen to provoke that weird performance bug.

I definitely wouldn´t have even tried it with the stock boxed cooler though. And do take the researching part serious. Overclocking CAN lead to very nasty crashes and/or sneaking data corruption.

OH and don´t bother with OC´ing that GFX card. The performance is way enough and it just needlessly introduces another potential problem.

Polish > hype

(edited by HawkMeister.4758)