how i (not) fixed my radeon 7850 10fps issue

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: oROEchimaru.1045

oROEchimaru.1045

These are beta drivers use with caution. I am back to 50fps +

1. download the latest beta drivers 13.5 beta 2
http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/amd_catalyst_13_5_beta_2_download.html
(they may not be stable for all games, if it doesnt work out ose whql 13.4)

2. uninstall the drivers via the 13.5 beta 2 download (select remove not install)
-dont reboot

3. control panel > system (small icons view) > device manager> display adapters
right click and uninstall yours, check the box or at prompt to delete drivers

4. download driver sweeper, once installed/open use the radeon/amd checkbox
http://www.guru3d.com/content_page/guru3d_driver_sweeper.html

if you are worried also use
http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/amd_catalyst_un_install_utility_download.html

5. NOW REBOOT

6. after the reboot proceed to install the latest 13.5 v2 drivers
7. after install reboot
8. keep stock settings
9. play!

oROEchimaru.1045

also using razer’s game booster and find that closing chrome helps:
http://www.razerzone.com/gamebooster

Posted by: Korago.7509

Korago.7509

Tried everything. Game booster, clean driver sweep, 13.5 drivers…I’m still having problems. My FPS lingers around 30 most of the time, which is very low considering the card I’m using (Radeon HD 7850, of course).

The problem is that Guild Wars 2 is only using 40% of my card. Other games easily bring the activity meter up to 100. Not Guild Wars 2. I’m not sure why.

Posted by: Stormcrow.7513

Stormcrow.7513

GW2 is very CPU dependent. You can have an Nvidia Titan with an i3 and it still will not run as you would expect.
What CPU are you using?

i7 3770k oc 4.5 H100i(push/pull) 8gb Corsair Dominator Asus P877V-LK
intel 335 180gb/intel 320 160gb WD 3TB Gigabyte GTX G1 970 XFX XXX750W HAF 932

Korago.7509

GW2 is very CPU dependent. You can have an Nvidia Titan with an i3 and it still will not run as you would expect.
What CPU are you using?

AMD FX-4100 quad core 3.6ghz. CPU activity usually hovers around 60-70% while playing GW2. Other games I’ve tried will use 100% of both and run flawlessly.

Korago.7509

Still having this issue. Is my processor holding my card back? If so, would it be a good idea to overclock my CPU a touch?

oROEchimaru.1045

I have to say, I fought my first dragon and saw my fps go from 30-50 down to 5fps. used recommended settings it was 1 fps. I then turned off fsaa, reflections etc back to 5fps in big battle wow.

I’m trying a few things I’ll post findings.

for radeon:
a. turned some settings to performance
b. turned tessellation to 2
c. trying idea below (off first) but i had to turn it on to turn it off which makes me think it wasnt on before. (right click command prompt first to run as admin)

i wasn’t so fps choppy a month ago when i joined gw2. i can’t recommend this game to others including family members if the parts that would be exciting are unplayable. 3ghz quad core intel + radeon 7850 with 8gbram

bcdedit /set useplatformclock true
The operation completed successfully.

bcdedit /deletevalue useplatformclock
The operation completed successfully.

UPDATE—-

none of that worked. used radeon pro utility to dumb down gpu even more. turned everything to performance mode, changed settings to match fps/gpu to refresh rate, turned off tessellation etc. the game looks horrible now but it has the same fps rate. doesnt appear to be a gpu issue (radeon 7850) but a client issue with multicore chips or just code needing optimization.

quad core cpu, never goes past 57% cpu usage even in high priority mode, rest of cpu is primarily “idle”

(edited by oROEchimaru.1045)

oROEchimaru.1045

korago overclocking wont fix 40-60 fps drops to 1fps at the dragon. also my fps was 50-60 up until the end of the last major event. since the may major event started its gotten worse.

oROEchimaru.1045

I tried -multi switch parameter to launch file, no improvements. it seemed like 30fps+ at first then back to 10-15. a real good place to test is camp karka in southsun cove. another would be any dragon, global event or fire elemental.

cpu usage never peaks past 57% or so. (game looks like crap after doing all this fyi, mostly from tessellation and mipmapping tweaks)

trying this idea next:
http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?m=1861804

In short, here is the better method from sky60234:-

- Go to Regedit

- Find this key:- " 0cc5b647-c1df-4637-891a-dec35c318583 "

- Within this key, there is a value called: " ValueMax "

- This value represents the % number of cores the system will park – the default 100% ie: all Cores are potentially park-able

- Change the value from 64 to 0 so the " ValueMin " and " ValueMax " are both zero

- You will have to find the key a few times and repeat the process for each time it is found – the number of instances will depend on the number of power profiles in your system [ in my DAW it was only found twice ]

- Do a full shutdown and power-off and cold-re-start

UPDATE —-—
waste of time did not work. still using 55% cpu usage on average. spinning helps show fps drops to from 25 to 15 to 10….

(edited by oROEchimaru.1045)

Korago.7509

Lame. :/ Keep us updated if you find a fix. I feel like I’m not getting my moneys worth out of this card. If you find a real fix, post it!

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

I tried -multi switch parameter to launch file, no improvements. it seemed like 30fps+ at first then back to 10-15. a real good place to test is camp karka in southsun cove. another would be any dragon, global event or fire elemental.

cpu usage never peaks past 57% or so. (game looks like crap after doing all this fyi, mostly from tessellation and mipmapping tweaks)

trying this idea next:
http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?m=1861804

In short, here is the better method from sky60234:-

- Go to Regedit

- Find this key:- " 0cc5b647-c1df-4637-891a-dec35c318583 "

- Within this key, there is a value called: " ValueMax "

- This value represents the % number of cores the system will park – the default 100% ie: all Cores are potentially park-able

- Change the value from 64 to 0 so the " ValueMin " and " ValueMax " are both zero

- You will have to find the key a few times and repeat the process for each time it is found – the number of instances will depend on the number of power profiles in your system [ in my DAW it was only found twice ]

- Do a full shutdown and power-off and cold-re-start

UPDATE —-—
waste of time did not work. still using 55% cpu usage on average. spinning helps show fps drops to from 25 to 15 to 10….

Guild wars 2 uses No tesselation…tesselation is a DX11 Only feauture…

oROEchimaru.1045

good to know. so far no luck with tampering radeon pro and control panel settings:(

i did revert my overclocked q6600 back to standard settings to make sure it wasnt heat related. i got a stellar 15fps at fire elemental today. the cpu usage never goes over 60%.

if the game is cpu dependent would be nice if it used as much possible, same issue when ran as high priority.

Posted by: SaadBaig.8560

SaadBaig.8560

Huh, thats odd. I have a Gigabyte 7850 on an i5 3570k @ 4.5Ghz, and can max the game out no problems. The only time I really ever get below 40 FPS is during massive zerg vs zerg battles but even then, The lowest I’ve seen is 20FPS

I’m on AMD 13.2 as well…quite interesting…

oROEchimaru.1045

My cpu was overheating (70-100c) on a q6600 even when not overclocked. I dusted my pc out and noticed 2 bent cpu socket pins. Gave me an excuse to cry to my wife to buy a xeon setup (great deals for used parts on ebay, bought 1600$ pc for 300$)

hopefully this fixes the issues. should be comparable to i7.

oROEchimaru.1045

hate to admit this but i installed the game on my wife’s pc (amd 4 core which is slower than 6600) and it has a radeon 6850 where i have the 7850. fps is 2x higher!

i’m guessing its due to the overheating issues.