Anet can fix WvW S2 (and still fix WvW S1)

in WvW

Posted by: Righteous.4307

Righteous.4307

When the WvW Season system was first announced I was excited because I saw how it could revitalize my favorite game type. There was the opportunity to bring players who previously only played PvE to WvW, work to remedy over/underpopulated servers, reward play in WvW in the larger scale, create compelling friendly rivalry between servers, and add scope and focus rather than simply a week long battle that repeats itself. Some of these things were accomplished… some failed. Many of the issues with Season One could not be forseen, but could be fixed for Season Two. Yet other issues with Season One could still be resolved. The issue is that ArenaNet could have used the reward system for seasons in WvW to revitalize the game type. In chronological order here is what should have been done with season 1:

1. Display the average queue time at prime time for each server.

• This should be done year round and would serve as a reminder that the less populated servers need players while the more populated servers can have 4+ hour queues.

2. Add an additional league.

• Diamond (1-3), Gold (4-9), Silver (10-15) and Bronze (16-24).
  • The difference between T1 and T2 is significant, but there were still competitive matches when the 16th server hit the 22nd.

3. Don’t announce how the servers will be split up before the start of the season.

• Announcing how the servers would be split resulted in player movement to/from servers.
  • ArenaNet could have simply said, “There would be WvW Season One and servers will be split into leagues where servers are matched with competitive servers.”

4. Create a full round robin schedule where every server plays every other server the same number of times.

• Many servers complained about having a harder schedule than others.

5. Provide significant and unique rewards for every single player that earned the Season One Reward Key.

• The reward should be something that is exclusive/unique to the WvW Season reward chest and significant enough to reward players for their participation.
  • A unique weapon/armor skin or an ascended back piece (since WvW players currently have no good way to acquire one) would have fit this catagory well.
  • AREANANET COULD STILL FIX THIS

6. Rather than rewarding only the 1st place winner in Gold, Silver, and Bronze (3 servers total) with the dolyak finisher. ArenaNet should have provided 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in Gold, Silver, and Bronze (9 servers total) with the dolyak finisher.

• This would have rewarded more total servers/players with the pride of placing well during the season.
  • The finishers should have been unlimited, but expired the very first day of season two. This would provide bragging rights to the servers for placing well within their league, but certainly nothing extraordinary as the finisher is underwhelming anyway.
  • The fact that the finishers would have gone to 9 servers instead of only 3 would further reinforce the notion that its worthwhile to play on servers that have little to no queue rather than play on servers with a long queue.
  • ARENANET COULD STILL FIX THIS

Luckily items numbers 1, 5, and 6 can still be done provided ArenaNet understands their significance.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. Please leave your comments below and be sure to provide constructive feedback so that ArenaNet can make a better game for us all.

[MU] Barnabas Hale
HoD Commander
http://mugw2.enjin.com/

(edited by Righteous.4307)

in WvW

Posted by: thekap.8645

thekap.8645

some of these are good suggestions. A major change that needs to happen to wvw for seasons to work is to remove the server idea from the picture all together. Determine the number of teams there will be and allow people to sign up for teams for a couple weeks before season start. Have teams start with say a 25 person cap and increase as all teams reach caps. this will prevent any team from being overloaded and will create fun and balanced matchups.

Calidorne – L80 Ranger – Commander

in WvW

Posted by: Have No Faith In Me.1840

Have No Faith In Me.1840

3. Don’t announce how the servers will be split up before the start of the season.

• Announcing how the servers would be split resulted in player movement to/from servers.
  • ArenaNet could have simply said, “There would be WvW Season One and servers will be split into leagues where servers are matched with competitive servers.”

Yeah I wish we didn’t know what the split was going to be. I know we all would of loved being in a 2 league NA, 1-12 and 13-24.

/sarcasm.

in WvW

Righteous.4307

Yeah I wish we didn’t know what the split was going to be. I know we all would of loved being in a 2 league NA, 1-12 and 13-24.

/sarcasm.

I don’t understand what you are attempting to convey. I said as two separate points that they shouldn’t have announced how the leagues would be split up. Players claim that it caused a massive migration to 3 servers. ArenaNet has the data to determine whether this is correct or not, but from the outside this is how it appears.

Furthermore, the point that I made immediately before point #3 would indicate that 4 leagues would have been better than 2… Currently the bottom of each league couldn’t compete with the top of the league they were paired with. However the top of bronze fighting the bottom of silver (as an example) would have been a better match up.

[MU] Barnabas Hale
HoD Commander

in WvW

Posted by: Zikory.6871

Zikory.6871

• Diamond (top 3), Gold (4-8), Silver (9-15) and Bronze (16-22).
  • The difference between T1 and T2 is significant, but there were still competitive matches when the 16th server hit the 22nd.

Diamond – Problem with this is there is no variable. Meaning that the winner could be decided by 2v1’ing 1 server into the ground. (Not a complaint, just a observation) There are a lot of complaints about 2v1s right now, this would be a prime setup for one to take place.

Gold (4-8) – Correct me if I’m wrong but that is only 5 servers…a match requires 3 servers so 2 servers would have to be left out…

Silver (9-15) – 7 servers…again does not line up with 3 servers per match.

Bronze (16-22) – 7 servers…and again does not line up with 3 servers per match.

Like I said this is only a observation of your post, I’m indifferent…

[KnT] – Knight Gaming – Blackgate
Zikory – Retired Thief
Zikkro – Zergling Necromancer

in WvW

Posted by: Alvain.7364

Alvain.7364

Good summary, and good propositions.

in WvW

Righteous.4307

Diamond – Problem with this is there is no variable. Meaning that the winner could be decided by 2v1’ing 1 server into the ground. (Not a complaint, just a observation) There are a lot of complaints about 2v1s right now, this would be a prime setup for one to take place.

Gold (4-8) – Correct me if I’m wrong but that is only 5 servers…a match requires 3 servers so 2 servers would have to be left out…

Corrected to —> Diamond (1-3), Gold (4-9), Silver (10-15) and Bronze (16-24)

[MU] Barnabas Hale
HoD Commander

in WvW

Posted by: Zikory.6871

Zikory.6871

Corrected to —> Diamond (1-3), Gold (4-9), Silver (10-15) and Bronze (16-24)

Even then, NA 22 Servers – EU 27 Servers.

[KnT] – Knight Gaming – Blackgate
Zikory – Retired Thief
Zikkro – Zergling Necromancer

in WvW

Righteous.4307

Even then, NA 22 Servers – EU 27 Servers.

It’s NA 24 and EU 27… in any case the top 3 in both have the coverage and numbers to be in a league of their own. The leagues would have likely been better to have 1-3 in Diamond and split everything from 4-24 NA and 4-27 EU split into 3 Gold, Silver, Bronze.

[MU] Barnabas Hale
HoD Commander

in WvW

Posted by: Zenyatoo.4059

Zenyatoo.4059

“Problem with this is there is no variable. Meaning that the winner could be decided by 2v1’ing 1 server into the ground.”

I think that’s an acceptable risk. As long as there are an odd number of matches, in this case 7, someone has to be a winner. Either by getting 3 or 4 wins. Meaning that at least some of the matches will probably not be 2v1 heavy. At least not to a ratio that would define the entire season.

Also it’s preferable to the alternative. Which is T2 servers having to face overwhelming numbers in match-ups that are (imo) rarely fun.
With a BG/JQ/SoR matchup, I can log in at literally any time of day and go find a fight. During a matchup with T2 servers there’s plenty of deadzones where they dont even have people on their own BL’s.

in WvW

Posted by: Nuzt.7894

Nuzt.7894

/sarcasm.

I don’t understand what you are attempting to convey. I said as two separate points that they shouldn’t have announced how the leagues would be split up. Players claim that it caused a massive migration to 3 servers. ArenaNet has the data to determine whether this is correct or not, but from the outside this is how it appears.

Furthermore, the point that I made immediately before point #3 would indicate that 4 leagues would have been better than 2… Currently the bottom of each league couldn’t compete with the top of the league they were paired with. However the top of bronze fighting the bottom of silver (as an example) would have been a better match up.

I’m not understanding what you mean when you say “Don’t tell us what the split will be”, if I’m reading it right your suggesting they don’t tell us what servers will be in which league. They wouldn’t need to tell us because it would be sheer stupidity on their part to not break out the servers in order. Top 3 ranks would be diamond, the following 6 would be gold and so on and so forth. Maybe I’m just not understanding what you are trying to say.

in WvW

Righteous.4307

/sarcasm.

I’m not understanding what you mean when you say “Don’t tell us what the split will be”, if I’m reading it right your suggesting they don’t tell us what servers will be in which league. They wouldn’t need to tell us because it would be sheer stupidity on their part to not break out the servers in order. Top 3 ranks would be diamond, the following 6 would be gold and so on and so forth. Maybe I’m just not understanding what you are trying to say.

On 9/6/2013 ArenaNet described what WvW Season One was and how the servers would be split up in this announcement:

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/welcome-to-world-vs-world-season-1/

Then again on 9/27/2013 ArenaNet said they would be changing how the servers would be divided up and told us how they would be doing so in this announcement:

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/world-vs-world-season-1-begins-october-18/

What I am suggesting is that regardless of how they split up the servers in Season 2 that they do not tell us how the servers will be divided into diamon, gold, silver, bronze, iron, etc etc…. Whatever they decide don’t tell the community exactly how the lines are drawn so that servers are not encouraged to tank their score to face easier opponents.

[MU] Barnabas Hale
HoD Commander

in WvW

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

No way to do an accurate queue duration as its random.

in WvW

Righteous.4307

No way to do an accurate queue duration as its random.

There are plenty of ways to do it… Average either the average time spent in queue for each player or display the average number of players in queue to enter WvW.

Ultimately, ArenaNet should resolve the queue issue to be first queue, first play. However, until that day comes, a simple reminder to all of the players in queue that there are servers in bronze that desperately need them and that they would be able to join WvW with no wait would serve the community well.

Additionally, ArenaNet should probably judge the active WvW population for servers that are currently ranked low, and work to encourage players to join those servers by decreasing the gem cost to low servers and increasing the gem cost to high servers.

[MU] Barnabas Hale
HoD Commander

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

A major change that needs to happen to wvw for seasons to work is to remove the server idea from the picture all together. Determine the number of teams there will be and allow people to sign up for teams for a couple weeks before season start. Have teams start with say a 25 person cap and increase as all teams reach caps. this will prevent any team from being overloaded and will create fun and balanced matchups.

This is a pretty good idea. I would add that guilds sign up to teams rather than players and team selection closes once a team is getting too loaded. Unaligned players could simply be put on whichever team needs the players most.

This system would actually work well for regular matchups as well.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

in WvW

Posted by: DeadlySynz.3471

DeadlySynz.3471

All good ideas.. they don’t fix the problems we have, but it would certainly put WvW in much better shape than it is now.

I’ve said this before and a few others have as well, just remove the “servers” from the game and institute factions instead. There are 3 factions in the game, 3 borderlands, so it works. Some servers just don’t have the population to compete. That will not change, because it’s more likely players will leave that server than others to join.

Let people log on and see what faction they are fighting for and how many are on each map. You’d solve most problems overnight.

in WvW

Righteous.4307

A major change that needs to happen to wvw for seasons to work is to remove the server idea from the picture all together. Determine the number of teams there will be and allow people to sign up for teams for a couple weeks before season start. Have teams start with say a 25 person cap and increase as all teams reach caps. this will prevent any team from being overloaded and will create fun and balanced matchups.

This is a pretty good idea. I would add that guilds sign up to teams rather than players and team selection closes once a team is getting too loaded. Unaligned players could simply be put on whichever team needs the players most.

This system would actually work well for regular matchups as well.

I like the idea too, however many people have a very strong sense of community build with their server. If your idea were to go through that sense of community would be lost. Also there are some guilds with 1500+ people that are PvX or play WvW very casually… those 1500+ people would be equally waited with 30 × 50 player hardcore WvW guilds.

[MU] Barnabas Hale
HoD Commander

in WvW

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

no matter what suggestion you guys proposed, WvW will always be imbalanced unless they reduce the map cap by 50%……

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

in WvW

Righteous.4307

no matter what suggestion you guys proposed, WvW will always be imbalanced unless they reduce the map cap by 50%……

I dont agree with this… perhaps you can explain more?

[MU] Barnabas Hale
HoD Commander

in WvW

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

I like the OPs suggestions, and to further strengthen the argument of not making all match-ups available at the start of the season, you won’t only prevent world population movement, but you will also make it difficult for the worlds to make strategies for their season – i.e. you only get to see your match up for the week you go into, you don’t know about the last weeks and it’s therefore difficult to know if you should focus one enemy more or the other.

Now you had the issue of 2v1 – whether by alliance or just individual focus on the same world – and that’s down to strategy of knowing that you needed to put someone in 3rd in a match-up so that they would lose some valuable points because they would get max points for the remaining match-ups, etc. If it’s like regular WvW weeks, you won’t know your match-up within the league, and you prevent this to a greater degree – and also servers from trying to form alliances – at least outside a single match-up.

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season

in WvW

Posted by: SleepingDragon.1596

SleepingDragon.1596

Not going to be fixed as long as there is a season reward being tracked and shown to all… Unless they hide the season rewards and achievements, your first few matches are all going to consists of a lot of achievement chasers. Also, can’t balance WvW without being able to mix EU and NA servers.

-S o S-

in WvW

Righteous.4307

I like the OPs suggestions, and to further strengthen the argument of not making all match-ups available at the start of the season, you won’t only prevent world population movement, but you will also make it difficult for the worlds to make strategies for their season – i.e. you only get to see your match up for the week you go into, you don’t know about the last weeks and it’s therefore difficult to know if you should focus one enemy more or the other.

Now you had the issue of 2v1 – whether by alliance or just individual focus on the same world – and that’s down to strategy of knowing that you needed to put someone in 3rd in a match-up so that they would lose some valuable points because they would get max points for the remaining match-ups, etc. If it’s like regular WvW weeks, you won’t know your match-up within the league, and you prevent this to a greater degree – and also servers from trying to form alliances – at least outside a single match-up.

Logical points.

Not going to be fixed as long as there is a season reward being tracked and shown to all… Unless they hide the season rewards and achievements, your first few matches are all going to consists of a lot of achievement chasers. Also, can’t balance WvW without being able to mix EU and NA servers.

I don’t understand the first point your trying to make. Also mixing EU and NA servers would result in horrid lag, and it is not clear to me how it would make it more balanced at all.

[MU] Barnabas Hale
HoD Commander