As a WvW player I feel alienated

in WvW

Posted by: grifflyman.8102

grifflyman.8102

Hello, I come to the general discussion thread in hopes that more people might participate in an open discussion regarding development focus as a whole in regards to Guild Wars 2.

This is an open discussion with the community, please try to keep all posts constructive.

Since it’s release about two years ago Guild Wars 2 has seen great success, even achieving a massively successful launch in China! The game was recently revisited by a gaming website and re-reviewed the game, giving it a 9/10 points. (http://www.polygon.com/2013/1/24/3728326/guild-wars-2-review-second-coming)

I have nothing but love for this game, but there’s one area in particular that I have always felt alienated in compared to the other parts of the game, and I’m referring to World vs. World vs. World.

The developers have divided Guild Wars 2 into three parts:

Player vs. Environment or PvE.
Player vs. Player or PvP.
World vs. World vs. World or WvW.

Now each area has seen content added in the last 2 years, but I think it’s an honest assessment to say that WvW has not seen nearly the amount of development that the other two areas of the game have received.

I understand and agree that PvE should be the focus of development, it’s what Guild Wars 2 was made for, and they are doing a great job with the recent content! The Developers listened to the community, and continue to do a great job adjusting to what players are suggesting.

PvP has recently received a lot of attention and received lot’s of love from the development team. They listened to the community, changed the wardrobe system and added a fun and unique way to gain gear and tokens through PvP alone. (I wish I could get dungeon tokens from doing WvW!)

Now let’s look at WvW, what was promised was a map were “new” things would be tested, were the development team could try out new ideas, and perhaps tweak the way current WvW is played.

What we ended up with is something that feels more like PvE mode in WvW. The map is fun, but it’s not WvW, I’ve yet to defend an objective or have a large open field fight and it has no merit on the rest of WvW. The community has sated their opinions, maybe not in the most respectful way, but they’ve stated them.

We had a Collaborated Development thread 6 months ago, players voiced issues and came up with some really great ideas to fix them but nothing ever came of it. Not one change suggested has been made to WvW that was suggested.

It’s been over a year since WvW received it’s “Collaborated Development” thread, and I still continued to feel alienated. The community wants content, we want change. We want the developers to tell us “It will be okay, we are working on changes.” But all we receive week in and week out is very little, and that really hurts.

Where do you think development should be focused next?

More PvE content? (excluding the living story content)
More PvP content? (More maps, more tournaments)
More WvW content? (Listen to the community)

(edited by grifflyman.8102)

in WvW

Posted by: ykyk.2740

ykyk.2740

WvW players are the overwhelming minority and we’ve had 2 years to see that Anet’s resources are being allocated as such.

It’s smart business, the only thing they need to do with WvW is make tournaments to earn transfer gems. Why put in any more effort than that? A happy WvW player base is a WvW player base that isn’t transferring around.

in WvW

Posted by: Liza.2758

Liza.2758

Eotm ?

There is nothing you can do with wvw…. you can’t control it. it’s not esport.

and tbh wvw is more like a place where pve er come to get some fight though like hot join in spvp.

in WvW

Posted by: atheria.2837

atheria.2837

Hello, I come to the general discussion thread in hopes that more people might participate in an open discussion regarding development focus as a whole in regards to Guild Wars 2.

This is an open discussion with the community, please try to keep all posts constructive.

Since it’s release about two years ago Guild Wars 2 has seen great success, even achieving a massively successful launch in China! The game was recently revisited by a gaming website and re-reviewed the game, giving it a 9/10 points. (http://www.polygon.com/2013/1/24/3728326/guild-wars-2-review-second-coming)

I have nothing but love for this game, but there’s one area in particular that I have always felt alienated in compared to the other parts of the game, and I’m referring to World vs. World vs. World.

Now each area has seen content added in the last 2 years, but I think it’s an honest assessment to say that WvW has not seen nearly the amount of development that the other two areas of the game have received.

I understand and agree that PvE should be the focus of development, it’s what Guild Wars 2 was made for, and they are doing a great job with the recent content! The Developers listened to the community, and continue to do a great job adjusting to what players are suggesting.

PvP has recently received a lot of attention and received lot’s of love from the development team. They listened to the community, changed the wardrobe system and added a fun and unique way to gain gear and tokens through PvP alone. (I wish I could get dungeon tokens from doing WvW!)

Now let’s look at WvW, what was promised was a map were “new” things would be tested, were the development team could try out new ideas, and perhaps tweak the way current WvW is played.

What we ended up with is something that feels more like PvE mode in WvW. The map is fun, but it’s not WvW, I’ve yet to defend an objective or have a large open field fight and it has no merit on the rest of WvW. The community has sated their opinions, maybe not in the most respectful way, but they’ve stated them.

We had a Collaborated Development thread 6 months ago, players voiced issues and came up with some really great ideas to fix them but nothing ever came of it. Not one change suggested has been made to WvW that was suggested.

It’s been over a year since WvW received it’s “Collaborated Development” thread, and I still continued to feel alienated. The community wants content, we want change. We want the developers to tell us “It will be okay, we are working on changes.” But all we receive week in and week out is very little, and that really hurts.

1. Free Transfers

2. Megaserver

3. Drunken trolls who say the most vile things and even after being reported are still doing it in TS.

Both have destroyed WvW.

Both have made unbeatable and overwhelming servers WvW populations that are 2-5 times those they are fighting.

Not keeping all IT jobs here is a major reason IT is so bad HERE. 33y IT 10y IT Security

in WvW

Posted by: Fuzzion.2504

Fuzzion.2504

You must understand 2 things

1)There are much more PvE players than WvW players.

2)Anet has great ambitions to create s/t/PvP into an eSport and will not admit defeat and would rather keep pumping cash into it.

WvWvW efforts made by anet have been doubled but it is still far from the attention of pvp and pve

Fuzzionx [SF]
Guest member of [LOVE]
JQ official Prime Minister

in WvW

Posted by: atheria.2837

atheria.2837

You must understand 2 things

1)There are much more PvE players than WvW players.

2)Anet has great ambitions to create s/t/PvP into an eSport and will not admit defeat and would rather keep pumping cash into it.

WvWvW efforts made by anet have been doubled but it is still far from the attention of pvp and pve

As players have said to me before:

I didn’t know about WvW…

Hmmmmm… maybe that’s more a problem than Anet is willing to admit.

When they do find it, they are enthralled at the openness and the variety of activities to do and the fights.

But when there isn’t anyone there even the best of commanders and their followers, new and old, are just plain walking away.

Not keeping all IT jobs here is a major reason IT is so bad HERE. 33y IT 10y IT Security

in WvW

Posted by: SniffyCube.6107

SniffyCube.6107

Eotm ?

and tbh wvw is more like a place where pve er come to get some fight though like hot join in spvp.

imo gvg could be esport

with some tweaking it has a lot of potential

The Black Tides
[TBT]
Èl Cid

in WvW

Posted by: Banzie.5248

Banzie.5248

Eotm ?

imo gvg could be esport

with some tweaking it has a lot of potential

GvG would be far more entertaining and watched then most tPvP competitions. A year ago you coulda popped 50k viewers per GvG easy im sure. Now a days… maybe 5-10k absolute tops.

Isle Of Janthir

in WvW

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

Karl Marx has sympathy for you.

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

in WvW

Posted by: Cavendish.2168

Cavendish.2168

Its funny, I come to wvw forums and hear this all the time. WvW players feel neglected and forgotten. There’s not enough new developement for WvW.

Then I go into the dungeon forums I hear “anet doesnt care about us, we have been forgotten. We only get one new dungeon path in 2 years! Anet cares more about pvp and esports.”

Then I go to pvp forums and I hear “We want new maps, new game modes, and the meta is stale and not fun. Sure we got the reward track but its not enough, Anet has forgotten about us they only care about living story!”

My point is that everyone who’s passionate about one aspect of this game feels neglected and like anet is doing too much for the modes they dont care about and not enough for the game mode they like.

(edited by Cavendish.2168)

in WvW

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

Cavendish, I think I might have an answer for that…
- Changes to instanced PvE have been minimal
- Changes to WvW have been minimal
- Changed to SPvP have been minimal

So where did all the resources go?
1) WildStar
2) Living Story
3) Making gem store items

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

in WvW

Posted by: Johje Holan.4607

Johje Holan.4607

Cavendish, I think I might have an answer for that…
- Changes to instanced PvE have been minimal
- Changes to WvW have been minimal
- Changed to SPvP have been minimal

So where did all the resources go?
1) WildStar
2) Living Story
3) Making gem store items

You forgot

4) China

in WvW

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

Don’t worry maybe they’ll get back that part time intern.

in WvW

Posted by: I Am Dansker.7105

I Am Dansker.7105

Its funny, I come to wvw forums and hear this all the time. WvW players feel neglected and forgotten. There’s not enough new developement for WvW.

Then I go into the dungeon forums I hear “anet doesnt care about us, we have been forgotten. We only get one new dungeon path in 2 years! Anet cares more about pvp and esports.”

Then I go to pvp forums and I hear “We want new maps, new game modes, and the meta is stale and not fun. Sure we got the reward track but its not enough, Anet has forgotten about us they only care about living story!”

My point is that everyone who’s passionate about one aspect of this game feels neglected and like anet is doing too much for the modes they dont care about and not enough for the game mode they like.

But neither of the other forums mentioned WvW, aka, it is pretty bad here

Far Shiverpeaks

in WvW

grifflyman.8102

All good discussions, I just wish we could get a bit more things the community has asked for implemented.

in WvW

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

Eotm ?

This is the problem. ANET has implemented some new things. Unfortunately, they are not what the players want.

ANET realizes they went in the wrong direction. That’s why the WvW lead isn’t visible here anymore. He told forums users that they did not represent the interest of the players. When it was proved that the forum users knew more about WvW than ANET, the WvW lead disappeared.

The big question is whether the next WvW update brings something of value or if they just release some new mastery skills.

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

WvW was a “feature” checkbox for GW2 at launch. I don’t think they ever meant for it to be a significant part of the game and it shows. It is a decent implementation of medium scale PvP but it was never meant to be and has never been treated as a main force in the GW2 system. Because of this development has lagged and bugs have remained.

The next modern MMO release that offers RvR or WvW as a main course that isn’t a mess will empty this game of most of its WvW population.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

in WvW

grifflyman.8102

WvW was a “feature” checkbox for GW2 at launch. I don’t think they ever meant for it to be a significant part of the game and it shows. It is a decent implementation of medium scale PvP but it was never meant to be and has never been treated as a main force in the GW2 system. Because of this development has lagged and bugs have remained.

The next modern MMO release that offers RvR or WvW as a main course that isn’t a mess will empty this game of most of its WvW population.

Sad thing is I don’t see any game on the horizon that will offer this. A few games might have potential but I’m skeptical at this point in time.

in WvW

Posted by: Shpongle.6025

Shpongle.6025

+1 i concurr

Are you Shpongled?