Commander Tag Changes Feedback [merged]

in WvW

Posted by: Perrsun.4285

Perrsun.4285

After talking with a few guildies, this suggestion came up that would make Commander Tag Colors difficult, but not stupid-impossible to obtain:

Base Commander (Account Bound) Tag: 300gold.
Each color thereafter: 500k Karma.

There you have it. A way to keep some gold going into a sink (that’s still a better deal than buying 1 100g tag per character) and a way for people to actually use the Karma they’ve been building up.

Commander tag colors aren’t something we’ve wanted to “stand out” or have them as a “prestige” item, they’re a functional tool for cooperative play. Please don’t make using this tool to its full advantage a pay-gated chore.

in WvW

Posted by: Galandil.9641

Galandil.9641

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/big-changes-are-coming-to-the-commander-system/

I can’t see anywhere the fact that we have to buy each color separately. Am I reading wrong or apparently they did change from what was announced in the video interview?

in WvW

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

It sounds like a complete 180 degree shift from what was said in all interviews at GamesCom. Either this page is wrong or they changed their minds in response to player feedback (I am hopeful for this one).

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

in WvW

Posted by: Kuju.2153

Kuju.2153

Who knows with these people. Now we’ll have to wait for a RED response to get clarification when it should have been defined clearly in the blog. These guys drive me nuts with their inability on the most simple things. This was obviously a huge hot button issue ever since the video interview was linked, and yet they release the blog in that context. Why?

in WvW

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

It sounds like a complete 180 degree shift from what was said in all interviews at GamesCom. Either this page is wrong or they changed their minds in response to player feedback (I am hopeful for this one).

Kinda makes me think on something…

If a dev says something in an interview and players like it, but devs fail to follow through, its a broken promise.

If a dev says something in an interview and players hate it, but devs fail to follow through, its a change in heart and/or they listened to player feedback.

in WvW

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

doesnt sound like we will have to purchase colors separately…

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

in WvW

Posted by: Gaab.4257

Gaab.4257

“We can’t wait to see all the ways this feature is put to use. " – thanks a lot for the money sink, we were so missing it.

in WvW

Posted by: Virtute.8251

Virtute.8251

Jessica Boettiger

Whether you have three characters, thirteen characters, or even more, you will need to make this purchase only once!

Existing commanders will be grandfathered into this new system. If you’re already a commander, please enjoy this additional upgrade.

That’s a commitment. 300g for all colors, free to existing commanders.

Jessica Boettiger

Moving forward, we’ll be evaluating future possibilities for recognizing experienced and prestigious commanders.

That’s a promise, and it’s referencing this thread.

Jessica Boettiger

We’re also happy to announce that once you are a commander

“Excited™” edited to “happy”, but…

Jessica Boettiger

Right now, we’re excited to empower commanders with the ability to use all of their characters and choose the color that best fits their needs! We can’t wait to see all the ways this feature is put to use.

… the marketing-copy monkeys are real, this month, and they are super duper excited™.

Legendary PvF Keep Lord Anvu Pansu Senpai
RvR isn’t “endgame”, it’s the only game. Cu in CU.

in WvW

Posted by: Ashadow.6874

Ashadow.6874

Sounds like all the colors will be available from the start. Which makes a lot of sense.

We can now choose how to use them. This was we can differentiate, especially in WvW what Commander is doing what.

#SAB 2014 plx

#OccupySAB2014

in WvW

Posted by: Mcrocha.3891

Mcrocha.3891

Blog post seems to indicate that now colors won’t cost extra. Which is great and shows they listened to the immense amount of negative feedback.

Local Charr Ruins Everything

in WvW

Posted by: Khalic.3561

Khalic.3561

Blog post may read like you get all the colours together, but I’d still really like some red confirmation here.

Khyla Shadowsong ~ Charr Ele, Engi, Mes, Ranger, Guard, Thief, War, Necro
Northern Shiverpeaks ~ [dO] Drop Otter

in WvW

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

Blog post seems to indicate that now colors won’t cost extra. Which is great and shows they listened to the immense amount of negative feedback.

Or the blog post is intentionally vague and doesn’t actually tell us how the additional colors will be unlocked, or if they’ll be a gold sink, or what….

Unless there is a line in the blog post that says “Additional colors will be available at no extra charge beyond purchasing a commander tag.” then I am not going to believe they’ve listened, heard or changed their mind.

in WvW

Posted by: LionZero.3479

LionZero.3479

Am i the only one who expected the blogpost to say something about upgrading the radius of things like /supplyinfo and such, missed oppertunity there imo.

in WvW

Posted by: Eshady.9146

Eshady.9146

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/big-changes-are-coming-to-the-commander-system/

I can’t see anywhere the fact that we have to buy each color separately. Am I reading wrong or apparently they did change from what was announced in the video interview?

Could we get a Red Tag to clear this up?

in WvW

Posted by: Galandil.9641

Galandil.9641

Or the blog post is intentionally vague and doesn’t actually tell us how the additional colors will be unlocked, or if they’ll be a gold sink, or what….

We’re also happy to announce that once you are a commander, you will have access to a variety of colors. Choose from red, yellow, purple, or classic blue to customize your commander icon!

As it’s worded, it seems pretty clear: you become a commander → you can choose any color.

in WvW

Posted by: Blanger.3162

Blanger.3162

Blog post may read like you get all the colours together, but I’d still really like some red confirmation here.

Yeah, there is this line…. “Existing commanders will be grandfathered into this new system. If you’re already a commander, please enjoy this additional upgrade.”

And then this paragraph….. “This new assortment of colors will facilitate a range of tactical uses. For example, in World vs. World, you could select one color to represent an assaulting commander and another to designate a defending commander. In open world events, you might coordinate your efforts with other commanders by tagging up with different colors to help organize groups. Or you can just grab your favorite color to stand out from the crowd!”

These two things leads me to believe we either got it wrong because of their vague dialogue or that it was changed, either way it looks like it’s as it should be, if you have the desire I’d recommend grabbing a tag before the patch and save yourself a couple hundred gold…

BTW thank you Anet!

in WvW

Posted by: Noobix.3958

Noobix.3958

It reads for me like all tags will be unlocked as soon as you buy the first commander compendium. However, I can’t wait for the ingame kittenstorm on the 9th if this turns out to be untrue.

Am i the only one who expected the blogpost to say something about upgrading the radius of things like /supplyinfo and such, missed oppertunity there imo.

Sure there is definitely a whole lot more functionality that can be added to the Commander system, but baby steps for now I suppose. I actually think there was probably quite alot of backend work that was involved in even making the coloured commander tag thing a thing! Previously, the server probably just told the client “This player is tagged” and the client would just know to render the standard blue dorito. However, with the new system, the client has to tell the server which colour is selected and then the server has to then distribute that info to all other players.

Something as simple as “Add more commander tag colours!” may not be as simple as you may first initially think. My hope is that they done alot more backend work on the commander tag system while they were doing this to make it a hell of a lot more flexible in the future.

in WvW

Posted by: andredude.7093

andredude.7093

These two things leads me to believe we either got it wrong because of their vague dialogue or that it was changed, either way it looks like it’s as it should be, if you have the desire I’d recommend grabbing a tag before the patch and save yourself a couple hundred gold…

Well, since i’ve made an account in this forum all i’ve seen was crying about everything and second guessing every-single thing anet tells the public.. it doesn’t take a genius to figure out who’s fault it is. =/

in WvW

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

So its not completely negative, Thank you Anet for the change. 300g for account bound tag (with all colors) is a lot better than what was before.

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

in WvW

Posted by: anzenketh.3759

anzenketh.3759

Could we get a Red Tag to clear this up?

Yes they did change their minds due to player feedback.

https://twitter.com/GuildWars2/status/502136525728251904
https://twitter.com/GuildWars2/status/502133727343169538

I can understand the confusion. The marketing wording was rather heavy in that post. As honestly it should be as the blog doubles as marketing.

In Game: Storm Bluff Isle — Anzz, Anzenketh Kyoto

in WvW

Posted by: John Corpening.9847

John Corpening.9847

Associate Game Director

Next

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to clarify that we did indeed change our plans based on your feedback. What was said during the interviews at Gamescom was correct at the time but after listening to what you had to say we decided to make a change to the feature be in line with what you felt was a more balanced approach to the change.

Thank you very much for your feedback and we hope that you enjoy this upcoming change.

Thanks,
John

in WvW

Posted by: RedStar.4218

RedStar.4218

Thank you guys ^^

in WvW

Serophous.9085

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to clarify that we did indeed change our plans based on your feedback. What was said during the interviews at Gamescom was correct at the time but after listening to what you had to say we decided to make a change to the feature be in line with what you felt was a more balanced approach to the change.

Thank you very much for your feedback and we hope that you enjoy this upcoming change.

Thanks,
John

Wait for it, some minds are gonna implode on the thought that anet listened to feedback

in WvW

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

THANK YOU!

Thank you John, Mark, Zach, Tyler and everyone who worked hard to fix this based on feedback. Thank you for clearing up the confusion too!

(edited by khani.4786)

in WvW

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

mind… imploding… halp

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

in WvW

Posted by: Khalic.3561

Khalic.3561

Much appreciated John!

Khyla Shadowsong ~ Charr Ele, Engi, Mes, Ranger, Guard, Thief, War, Necro
Northern Shiverpeaks ~ [dO] Drop Otter

in WvW

Posted by: Chad.3825

Chad.3825

If one of the tags is only visible to your guild I’d be very happy Guild only tags would be great for guilds that are scrimming and it wouldn’t attract non-guild members to the guild because they wouldn’t know other than the swords that would pop. The different colors are awesome as is the account wide tags but it’s something that probably should have happened a long time ago :T

in WvW

Posted by: Alvain.7364

Alvain.7364

Holy all of my what. Great work, and much appreciated John!

in WvW

Posted by: TurtleofPower.5641

TurtleofPower.5641

Wow that’s awesome.

I wouldn’t have minded colors costing something, even if like 10 or 20g. But the 300g was off the charts for what the feature is so this is great news. Now commanders can use it as a truly tactical tool and not be worrying about who’s rich.

in WvW

Posted by: Noobix.3958

Noobix.3958

Thank you!

Now guys! Time to show them the power of multiple tags in WvW! This CAN change the meta if we allow it to!

Thanks John! And extra special thanks goes to Zach and Tyler for working their kitten off to make this happen.

(edited by Noobix.3958)

in WvW

Posted by: BlazeQ.1095

BlazeQ.1095

If one of the tags is only visible to your guild I’d be very happy Guild only tags would be great for guilds that are scrimming and it wouldn’t attract non-guild members to the guild because they wouldn’t know other than the swords that would pop. The different colors are awesome as is the account wide tags but it’s something that probably should have happened a long time ago :T

I would like that too, but at least with colors a server community can decide and agree on such details. IE Yellow for pug commander, Blue for Guild group, Purple for Havac Squad…

Cold Beerdrinker
PB Officer
NSP

in WvW

Posted by: John Corpening.9847

Previous

John Corpening.9847

Associate Game Director

Next

I would really like to direct the thanks to Zach and Tyler both of them came in over the weekend to make sure the change got in on time in order to stay on schedule with our QA test plan. I greatly appreciate the work the team put in to make this happen on this short of a time frame.

in WvW

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Good work to the team then who worked hard to get it done and for listening. Thank you

And importantly, hopefully lessons were learned from a design P.O.V on such things for the future.

in WvW

Posted by: MasterD.4790

MasterD.4790

Well…..even I will have to say……good job Anet….. although I think my mind is melting….lol

Thank You!! Please continue to take the feedback like this seriously in the future as well!!

Gamadorn the epitome of a hotjoin hero

in WvW

Posted by: localghost.9145

localghost.9145

Hi Guys,

Thanks,
John

Thank you for listening to us.

Blippis Trynhatt
Gunnar’s Hold

in WvW

Posted by: int randInt return.7810

int randInt return.7810

Well I am happy with this now. Having access to the colors lets the community work it out on a short term/immediate need, or longer term.

in WvW

Posted by: Blanger.3162

Blanger.3162

Hi Guys,

Thanks,
John

Thank you Sir and thank the team for all of us!

in WvW

Posted by: Seth.4927

Seth.4927

Thanks for listening and making it better for all parts involved!

Roker
Tarnished Coast

in WvW

Posted by: Johje Holan.4607

Johje Holan.4607

Thanks all. And thanks Zach and Tyler for the extra effort.

in WvW

Posted by: Ragnar.4257

Ragnar.4257

Inb4 this was a calculated ‘leak’ so they can then ‘generously’ change the decision to show how ‘in touch’ they are with WvW players.

Say what

[Scnd][TA][Dius][aX]

in WvW

Posted by: MysticHLE.7160

MysticHLE.7160

Thank you for listening! =D

in WvW

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

Good work Anet.

There was a distinct disparity between what the community desired (colors as a core functionality) and what you were offering (colors as prestige cosmetics behind gold sinks).

The updated feature should now acchieve its intended (and desired) purpose: that of strategy and organization.

in WvW

Posted by: HoukaKetsueki.6924

HoukaKetsueki.6924

Guild commander tag pls.

Koko Puffz / Kokoro Chan
Coerce[LOLI]
Tarnished Coast Asian Roamer

in WvW

Posted by: Mark Katzbach

Previous

Mark Katzbach

Content Marketing Manager

Next

Inb4 this was a calculated ‘leak’ so they can then ‘generously’ change the decision to show how ‘in touch’ they are with WvW players.

Say what

I’m just going to squash this rumor right now. Before the strong negative feedback received after the interview at gamescom, every intention was for each color to cost 300g. Pending QA, that version was ready to ship for the feature pack.

When the flood of feedback came in, there was a flurry of emails working out the best course of action, and in the end Zach and Tyler worked the weekend to make sure this change could be made on time for 9/9.

in WvW

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Say what

A great example of how no matter what they do people give them a hard time.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in WvW

Serophous.9085

Say what

I’m just going to squash this rumor right now. Before the strong negative feedback received after the interview at gamescom, every intention was for each color to cost 300g. Pending QA, that version was ready to ship for the feature pack.

When the flood of feedback came in, there was a flurry of emails working out the best course of action, and in the end Zach and Tyler worked the weekend to make sure this change could be made on time for 9/9.

Thanks Mark. We NEED more posts like this so squash rumors and keep the community informed.

in WvW

Posted by: aelfric.8536

aelfric.8536

Say what

This.

It must have been plain obvious for them, that something like that would generate a sh*tstorm on the community.

Sorry for not that good english. I’m swiss.

in WvW

Posted by: Luna.9640

Luna.9640

I would like to thank you for listening to our feedback and thank everyone who worked overtime at weekend (while i was chilling with friends at the seaside) and make this possible.

Thank you folks.

in WvW

Posted by: Kalarchis.8635

Kalarchis.8635

Thank you for listening to our feedback! I’m really looking forward to using my multi-colored tag on my alts.

in WvW

Posted by: Scrambles.2604

Scrambles.2604

Say what

you’re too late, i called it on page 6 of this thread, lol.