Development in WvW

Development in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: SpehssMehreen.5897

SpehssMehreen.5897

Recently we had Devs finally cease their silence and share some of their thoughts on the development of WvW.

“I’ll make a couple of points here to hopefully clarify this issue.
1) It takes a very large amount of time and effort to make a new map. It’s definitely more than a 6 month process from start to finish. Especially if we are talking about building a new borderlands taking all the thing we’ve learned since the game came out into account. With that in mind it’s a big task. It took us a little under a year to get EotM built and shipped from conception to release. So that is a more reasonable timeline for a new map.
2) The area we added to Obsidian Sanctum was in progress prior to the incident mentioned above and, while it didn’t take a particularly large amount of time, was still a process of over a month. We don’t release map changes without thorough testing. Keep in mind that was just a small change to an existing map, not a completely new map.
3) We currently, unfortunately, don’t have the ability to rotate maps in and out of the game in the manner discussed above. We have talked about this concept many times and it is something we’d like to be able to do long term, but it is not a small task given the technical structure of our game.
All of those things being true, we absolutely want to make new maps for WvW and when we have them ready to talk about and show off, believe me we will. It’s very important to us that when we do release a new WvW map it is a clear example of what we think the ideal WvW map would be. That means we will test the heck out of it and do everything we can to make sure it is even more awesome than the current maps. I realize this isn’t a timeline or an answer to where are more maps, but it’s as much as we can give you right now and it hopefully gives some insight to the size of the task. As I said, as soon as we have more to talk about or show, you will hear it.”

“I can appreciate that many people don’t like EotM, but don’t conflate a lack of updates that you personally like with a lack of updates. WvW has added a great deal of content and rewards over just the last calendar year.
Hopefully you will find more you like in future updates and we’ll continue to add to the game.”

From my understanding of this although there is still some “development” going on for WvW, We will likely have no substantial updates coming for the foreseable future, much developer resources already spent of things like Eotm and the philosophy of building a new map form scratch rather than existing ones.

It also seems that there are no new maps or major developments for WvW in the process, remember that were already half way through the year and have received no new road map (even though the other one is still incomplete)

Development in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

It also seems that there are no new maps or major developments for WvW in the process, remember that were already half way through the year and have received no new road map (even though the other one is still incomplete)

Or maybe they have learned to not announce anything before it is close to release in order to avoid the constant whining about announced things not being in the very next patch or stuff changing.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Development in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Deli.1302

Deli.1302

How do you know there are no new maps or major developments in the process?

Development in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: SpehssMehreen.5897

SpehssMehreen.5897

Based on the quotes, my example would be EOTM, several months before its release (around december) we already had information or even teases about it, then beta testing. If you look at the time line between that information and its final release was several months at the very least.

If we use this as an example , (we have no info on any new content for wvw as of now) it will be nothing short of several months til we get any substantial content for WvW, this is happening at the same time as WvW being so dragged on and heavily stagnated, for many players, guilds and servers.

Development in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Johje Holan.4607

Johje Holan.4607

Based on the quotes, my example would be EOTM, several months before its release (around december) we already had information or even teases about it, then beta testing. If you look at the time line between that information and its final release was several months at the very least.

If we use this as an example , (we have no info on any new content for wvw as of now) it will be nothing short of several months til we get any substantial content for WvW, this is happening at the same time as WvW being so dragged on and heavily stagnated, for many players, guilds and servers.

I agree. Given what they’ve said it can be reasonably concluded that there are no new maps or major developments in process.

I think you’re estimation of several months is overly generous. Nothing’s going to happen for at least a year. I’d bet two.

Development in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: TogoChubb.3984

TogoChubb.3984

Guys, it’s so simple. They ask for ideas and what we want in WvW and we give it to them. Then they purposely ignore everything on the list (OS is the forced exception) to make WvW as casual as possible. This does two things….frustrates the WvW die-hards and they leave the game, which in turn keeps WvW casual, and also pushes more people to sPvP. The sole reason WvW will never get attention is b/c there can’t be an admission to investors that backing sPvP was wrong and that sPvP failed.

If they cared to improve WvW they have plenty of minor changes that were discussed during Alpha, Beta, and post launch that would make a world of difference for WvW players. Yes, maps were part of these discussions but so were larger party sizes and guild commander tags…or even easier to do is to make commander tags with different colors. You change the color reference from blue to whatever color….that complicated coding could take all of 10 seconds of someone’s time. Too hard they say…move on and suggest something else.

Commander Togochubb aka Chubby
Perfect Dark [PD] – Yaks Bend

Development in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

The biggest improvement to WvW was the situation with lag, particularly in EB/SM fights. We are way better off than before. Otherwise, the change to weekly reset times for EU players is probably the next biggest thing. I think they changed a skill name in WXP tree. They probably think that was an improvement too.

EoTM may have had a vision of WvW goodness but it has turned into a karma train and a place to level characters quickly, particularly if you’re lucky enough to be in the green corner.

I’m sure the rest of the stuff we built our lists with is gathering dust somewhere.

My posts are facts as I know them, or my own opinion, and do not represent any guild.

Development in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Cactus.2710

Cactus.2710

Or maybe they have learned to not announce anything before it is close to release in order to avoid the constant whining about announced things not being in the very next patch or stuff changing.

What they learned to do is not mention anything that they have no intention of pursuing. And most people whine not about the fact that announced changes don’t happen on time … they whine about needed changes not happening at all. Take the top five requested changes from each of the three previous WvW CDIs and see how many of them ever show up. ( p.s. I bet you can’t even list what they are because ANet didn’t even take them seriously enough to ever summarize them.)

But go ahead … you just keep blaming the forum base for the lack of action from ANet on WvW. I mean, we ingrates don’t deserve anything better anyway, right? And we should be thankful for getting anything at all even if it wasn’t what we wanted, right?

D/D Thief who prefers mobility to stealth … so yeah, I die a lot
Stormbluff Isle [AoD]

Development in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Swamurabi.7890

Swamurabi.7890

I don’t think that the WvW dev team isn’t listening, I just think that they are “outmanned” by the stacked PvE team and the PvP team.

Development in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: TogoChubb.3984

TogoChubb.3984

Right on Swamurabi!!!! Right on!!!! +1

Commander Togochubb aka Chubby
Perfect Dark [PD] – Yaks Bend

Development in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Hamster.4861

Hamster.4861

I don’t think that the WvW dev team isn’t listening, I just think that they are “outmanned” by the stacked PvE team and the PvP team.

YES! +1 X10000000000000000

Development in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Kraag Deadsoul.2789

Kraag Deadsoul.2789

Too bad they don’t have an “Outnumbered” buff of a rabidly loyal WvW fan base with tens of thousands of hours of WvW under their belt who make excellent suggestions on how to improve WvW and would gladly work for free play testing said improvements for them.

Oh, wait…

So many souls, so little time. ~ Kraag Deadsoul