Individual WvW ranking

Individual WvW ranking

in WvW

Posted by: Shera.1450

Shera.1450

Q:

Curious, when it comes to WvW why aren’t individuals ranks posted (Diamond, Mithril, Platinum, and on down) as they are for PvP and PvE achievements? I am not saying take away from server ratings, but why can’t we have individual ratings like the rest of game? Any thoughts? Not sure how PvP works though.

While I’m at it (hehe) why not have a ranking list for “ALL 3”: WvW, PvP & PvE achieve?!! This would show “overall achievement/balance” for the entire game as a whole.

Individual WvW ranking

in WvW

Posted by: EFWinters.5421

EFWinters.5421

tPvP ranks mean nothing and WvW ranks mean even less. I have spent probably 1,500 hours in WvW and I am rank ~700, I’m sure thousands of people who have spent 1/10 of that time in EotM are much higher rank than me. On the same token I have spent about 15 hours in tPvP/sPvP where I am ranked top 100, higher than many players who have played tPvP since release and are much better players than me in every aspect of tPvP.

Human Guardian
Fort Aspenwood

(edited by EFWinters.5421)

Individual WvW ranking

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

Because not knowing how long a commander has been in WvW playing is more exciting.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

Individual WvW ranking

in WvW

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

I got asked last night why I was only a Bronze General.

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

Individual WvW ranking

in WvW

Posted by: BooHud.2681

BooHud.2681

It’s because I still owe you a moosie hat. I’m sorry Chaba

Individual WvW ranking

in WvW

Posted by: eldenbri.1059

eldenbri.1059

I used to think it was an interesting yardstick to keep track of whether I had beat a silver or gold level of particular professions in WvW. But those ranks really do speak more to the efficiency of point capturing than to a predictor of individual skill.

I was trying to mull over what might be a useful individual player score, and the only thing I could come up with was something like:

(kills / deaths) times some scaling factor) + (Sum of (points for objective captured/ divided by number of people who got credit for it))

The first part is pretty staightforward though you will tend to get a lot of points running with well organized zergs. If the scaling factor is 100, then having 5x more kills than deaths would give you a score of 500.

The second part is meant to balance that out by giving you credit based on your individual contribution.

So for example taking a camp might be 10 points, so you get 10 points for each camp you solo but only 5 points if you take it with a partner.

Maybe the scale would go up to something like 100 for Stonemist.

Players who played for a long time would eventually have a score that was mostly driven by objectives taken (for these kinds of point values)

It’s certainly not perfect, but it’s probably a more accurate ranking of ability than the current levels.

Individual WvW ranking

in WvW

Posted by: Crius.5487

Crius.5487

If your displayed rank was determined by player kills instead of WXP gained—those mithril ranked eotm ktrain people wouldn’t even be in bronze yet.

Jade Quarry since Beta

Individual WvW ranking

in WvW

Posted by: I Am Dansker.7105

I Am Dansker.7105

I used to think it was an interesting yardstick to keep track of whether I had beat a silver or gold level of particular professions in WvW. But those ranks really do speak more to the efficiency of point capturing than to a predictor of individual skill.

I was trying to mull over what might be a useful individual player score, and the only thing I could come up with was something like:

(kills / deaths) times some scaling factor) + (Sum of (points for objective captured/ divided by number of people who got credit for it))

The first part is pretty staightforward though you will tend to get a lot of points running with well organized zergs. If the scaling factor is 100, then having 5x more kills than deaths would give you a score of 500.

The second part is meant to balance that out by giving you credit based on your individual contribution.

So for example taking a camp might be 10 points, so you get 10 points for each camp you solo but only 5 points if you take it with a partner.

Players who played for a long time would eventually have a score that was mostly driven by objectives taken (for these kinds of point values)

It’s certainly not perfect, but it’s probably a more accurate ranking of ability than the current levels.

The problem i see with using that formula, is that a guardian will be heavily favored due to their tagging abilities while a more heavy damage class but squishy, will hit fewer targets overall and thereby get credit for less kills, but in total might do the same amount of damage or more

Also since some classes are squishy, they are more likely to die more often due to various reasons so their k/d will be even lower.

Far Shiverpeaks

Individual WvW ranking

in WvW

Posted by: LostBalloon.6423

LostBalloon.6423

The problem i see with using that formula, is that a guardian will be heavily favored due to their tagging abilities while a more heavy damage class but squishy, will hit fewer targets overall and thereby get credit for less kills, but in total might do the same amount of damage or more

Also since some classes are squishy, they are more likely to die more often due to various reasons so their k/d will be even lower.

Though in the long run, it could work if it were character based, not an optimal solution, but gives a better idea of skill than wxp

Individual WvW ranking

in WvW

Posted by: eldenbri.1059

eldenbri.1059

Right. I think it’s really hard to find any accurate measure of individual achievement in a mostly team game mode. I do think it’s better than WXP.

I think my own numbers are something 9000 kills and 3000 deaths. So the first part of the formula would be around 300.

I have around 3600 camp captures, and at least 60% of them are solo. So just the solo captures would count as 2100 X whatever multiplier. So if a camp was only worth 2 points, that’s still 4200 points.

That means the kills / deaths ratio just doesn’t mean much with these weightings for the way I play (so tagging opponents in larger fights just wouldn’t matter much).

I’m very much on the roaming end of things, so I’m sure other people’s numbers are very different.

Individual WvW ranking

in WvW

Posted by: Crius.5487

Crius.5487

You can run havoc all day long and never achieve a high rank, doesn’t mean you aren’t a skilled player.

Jade Quarry since Beta

Individual WvW ranking

in WvW

Posted by: Banzie.5248

Banzie.5248

Why are you only a bronze general?

Isle Of Janthir

Individual WvW ranking

in WvW

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

4293kittenaba.5410:

Players who have traditionally focused more on the small-scale fights aspect of the game and less on mass-murdering and PPT were less efficient at gaining WXP for the amount of time spent in WvW.

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

Individual WvW ranking

in WvW

Posted by: Banzie.5248

Banzie.5248

4293kittenaba.5410:

Players who have traditionally focused more on the small-scale fights aspect of the game and less on mass-murdering and PPT were less efficient at gaining WXP for the amount of time spent in WvW.

I just Guild Group NA, Command Early EU/Late SEA and Roam in Late NA. Best of all worlds \o/

Isle Of Janthir

Individual WvW ranking

in WvW

Posted by: Tommyknocker.6089

Tommyknocker.6089

If your displayed rank was determined by player kills instead of WXP gained—those mithril ranked eotm ktrain people wouldn’t even be in bronze yet.

It would be nice if we had the option of displaying our kills as a title. Even at 69500 kills I have a long way to go for the title of Ultimate Dominator. But you can bet my gold raider rank is FAR far below any player that spends his/her time in EotM.

Individual WvW ranking

in WvW

Posted by: Dayra.7405

Dayra.7405

Here was a proposal for an individual ranking in WvW:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/wuv/wuv/WvW-achievements-without-Season

Ceterum censeo SFR esse delendam!

Individual WvW ranking

in WvW

Posted by: PetricaKerempuh.7958

PetricaKerempuh.7958

Curious, when it comes to WvW why aren’t individuals ranks posted (Diamond, Mithril, Platinum, and on down) as they are for PvP and PvE achievements? I am not saying take away from server ratings, but why can’t we have individual ratings like the rest of game? Any thoughts? Not sure how PvP works though.

While I’m at it (hehe) why not have a ranking list for “ALL 3”: WvW, PvP & PvE achieve?!! This would show “overall achievement/balance” for the entire game as a whole.

because players would actually see it is 500 people still playing wvw…

Individual WvW ranking

in WvW

Posted by: urieldhynne.2743

urieldhynne.2743

WvW ranks mean nothing. EoTM was release to kill WXP and BoH WvW currency.

Even before, ppl do karma train in EBG anyways, and they gained a lot more ranks than experienced roamers or dedicated PPT ppl who played in BLs.

WvW ranks is about farming it. Like everything else.